RED-Z06

Kohler Command Twin failure and repair.

RED-Z06

I was given a 2005 Toro Zmaster a few weeks ago for parts, all i was told was it stopped running 7 years ago and wasnt moved from that spot.  

23hp Command, 60" ultraforce deck.  Everything was stuck, engine was stuck but did free up.  Starter was missing so that was my first task, i bolted on a starter and a new battery and to my absolute shock..it spun with the key.  However..it had no compression.  Pulling the plugs revealed air moving...so the rods were intact.  Pulled the valve covers and none of the rockers moved, the cam was visibly not turning.

That led me to pull the muffler, clutch, and rear closure plate and found carnage..20 teeth sheared off the cam, rear cam journal broken off, i found a stuck lifter.  Im assuming, based upon no evidence of loss of lubrication anywhere, that the #1 intake lifter seized in the bore..the cam stopped..and nothing else did..the cam shed teeth and finally broke.

I ordered a GM lifter bore hone, 4 new lifters, a cam kit, i honed the bores using brake kleen as lube, new lifters in, new cam in and timed it. Plate back on...and...nadda, blowing out the intake, timing issues.  Pulled the rear plate off and verified my marks.  I remembered years ago that kohler twin crank gears are a very tight interference press fit..but could slip...and that if the keyway us down..the timing mark should be 180⁰ opposite.  Mine was 110⁰ out of time.  So i brought my keyway to 6 oclock and indexed the cam to straight down.  After cleaning the carb it fired right up..runs great.

So..if you ever come across a command twin out of time...this retimes it.

20230708_174218.jpg

20230708_174233.jpg

20230712_081615.jpg

20230712_081618.jpg

20230712_081622.jpg

20230718_115211.jpg

• Like 5

CCW

Well done.

JoeM

Do you know the hours on the engine?

Petty amazing that it was not further destroyed. 

How much are those cams going for?

RED-Z06
59 minutes ago, JoeM said:

Do you know the hours on the engine?

Petty amazing that it was not further destroyed. 

How much are those cams going for?

I honestly dont...the factory original hour meter is intact and reads 00000, so im guessing it never worked.  New OEM cam was $130, Hydraulic lifters were $60 set of 4.

• Like 1

TonyToro Jr.

:clap:

Tuneup

Fantastic diagnostics! Isn't it typical that machines that die on a Southern property tend to stay there until they disappear into the sand? I resurrected two from that condition.

RED-Z06
2 hours ago, Tuneup said:

Fantastic diagnostics! Isn't it typical that machines that die on a Southern property tend to stay there until they disappear into the sand? I resurrected two from that condition.

Its usually too hot to screw around with them 🤣

• Like 1