ranger

Don’t wear shorts in long grass!

ranger

Was busy a couple of weeks ago with cutting and baling hay in the horse paddocks. Had what I thought were insect 🦟bites on one leg. They disappeared after a couple of days, I woke up to the bite area itching like mad, and a ‘Bullseye’ rash. Phoned my GP surgery, was told to go to the local hospital, ‘Minor Injuries Clinic’. The doctor I saw told me I have ‘Tick’ bites, and then put me on a three week course of antibiotics to prevent ‘Lyme’ disease, for which apparently there is no cure 🙀. He kept feeling the  area, and told me there was no infection, but he was most adamant that I finish the course, (never had a doctor this insistent before about anything). So from now on, No more shorts when in the long grass, I think I’ll wear overalls soaked in 🐏’Sheep Dip’. IMG_1120.jpeg.d8903a88dd93c41a4e01165aabc312cd.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

Skwerl58

These tick borne diseases are a problem here in the states. I try to spray at least 40% deet on my clothes  or use clothes that are previously soaked in permethrin when doing outside activities. I hope that you have no consequences from your bite. 

• Like 3

8ntruck

One of the guys I worked with managed to get Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever a number of years back.  He was out of work for about a month. 

This is another tick borne disease.  Part of the problem was getting an accurate diagnosis.  He went through several doctors before one recognized the symptoms.  Interesting thing is my co worker was never in the area where the type of tick that transmits this disease is commonly found.

Stick to your course of medication and good luck.

• Like 2

Pullstart

I was in my truck for a solid 4 hours yesterday when I felt something on my neck.  Sure enough, a tick crawling around on me.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

oliver2-44

Stick to the full coarse of medicine.  Lyme disease and othe tick borne diseases can be a bad thing for life.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

Streetrodchev

I found a tick that had attached to my upper leg last year, soon followed by a bullseye rash. Dr prescribed medication and things are going good. 

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

I VERY BRIEFLY walked through some tall grass last summer with long pants, while looking at a property for sale.

Was back in the truck just a few minutes when I felt a tick on my arm…

Got rid of it, after it had already given me the heebie jeebies, and a few minutes later found another crawling up my pant leg…

Anytime you are in tall grass or walking through brush, always check your self for ticks… or have your partner do it.

I said partner, not friend, buddy, homie, pal, bro, etc…

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Like 3

davem1111

The ticks have been really bad here in Indiana this year.  I've probably taken 50 off of myself (only maybe 2 already attached), hundreds off the dogs, since maybe April. Some of them were so tiny you could barely see them. I have my walking trails well mowed now but still get a few.  Usually hike in tall rubber boots and sometimes spray repellent on them. I hate those things. When I find one or more, I take them to my workbench and roast them with my mini torch - at least that part is gratifying.

That said, I've had Lyme Disease twice, about 12 years ago and about 25 years ago.  I was flat on my back for a week. I still have chronic joint pain that I think is related to having that.  No fun at all... As much as I think we overuse antibiotics, in this case, follow the course.  Then get some probiotics back into your system to replace all the "good" bacteria the antibiotics knock out. Good luck.

• Like 1

Stormin

Hope all goes well, Doug, and you soon recover. :thumbs: