Sign in to follow this  
scifi4all

Mowing

scifi4all

I have a piece of property that I let a section of grass, get about waist high. As you can see what I have listed below. Is it possible to start mowing this section with the 36" deck raised up and in 1st gear low?

I don't have access to a sickle bar or a rear deck for a tractor, or a farm tractor. I would weed wack/brush cut it if the deer and rain storms had'nt laid it over to about a foot high.

I also don't have the cash for a rental for half a day.

Any (helpful :thumbs2: ) input would be appreciated.

kajamo240

When my wife and I purchased our house, the grass/weeds were pretty tall. Not quite as tall as your describing but I would say just below the knee. We mowed it first with the deck up and then one more time with it down and it worked great.

We also, from time to time, mow our field with it and the grass gets to be about mid thigh high with the deck down. And because it was so thin, it still worked like a charm even in high second/third gear.

If you do cut it, dont cut it in low first gear unless you want to be out there all day or if its really thick.

MaineDad

As long as it is bone dry, you should be fine...

can whlvr

You can cut it,how big is your engine?you might have to drop down a few gears but i cut a section of my property that has never been cut,it alsohas all kinds of logs and branches,with my c 101 with a 36 rear discharge.

clintonnut

I did this with my 1054. It requires the talented foot at the clutch and full throttle. It wouldn't hurt to take a break every once in a while and let the tractor sit just a hair above idle with the mower disengaged to let it cool down a bit. Make sure the mower speed stays up.

Charlie

Duff

Same here with my 312-8 and a 37" SD deck. The stuff I was mowing was even with the top of the hood, but with patience I got it cut.

I ran the deck at maximum height and only took 1/2 of the width of the deck with each pass, blowing the cut grass/weeds onto the already cut area. If it's really thick you may need to make more than one pass at each area.

I ran full throttle in 2nd and 3rd low range depending on the thickness of the stuff as I moved along and it seemed to do OK. Like Charlie said, though, give the engine a break every so often to let it cool off, and I'd recommend making sure your blades are VERY sharp! Might also want to do an oil change before you start if you're anywhere near due for one.

If possible, try to mow when it's cool, and in the evening, not the morning, so the dew has all dried out (MaineDad's post).

Oh - and keep a close ear on your deck to be sure the belt doesn't start slipping. If it does, either slow down your forward speed, tighten up the tensioner [mule drive], or both, but don't run the deck drive belt excessively tight or you'll take a chance on smoking the spindle and idler pulley bearings. :thumbs:

Good luck and have fun!

Duff :thumbs2:

scifi4all

Thanks,

All the suggestions equal what I was believing, that with a little common sense

and alot of patience I should be able to do it.

I had not thought about taking a break though. Good Idea! :thumbs2:

kajamo240

Plus its a good excuse to have a beer or two. :thumbs2:

Coadster32

Plus its a good excuse to have a beer or two.

10minute break, every 10 minutes or so!! :thumbs2:

Knock-em-back. :thumbs: (Wonder if Stig will see this)

Oh yeah.. don't forget to cut the grass too.

scifi4all

Plus its a good excuse to have a beer or two.

10minute break, every 10 minutes or so!!

Knock-em-back. (Wonder if Stig will see this)

Oh yeah.. don't forget to cut the grass too.

Sounds like a good prescription! :thumbs2:

I am going to have to build a cooler mount for the rear hitch.

Just may take all day to get the work done.

Thanks for the additional advice/reminder. I don't want to get dehydrated :thumbs: