DeepH2O

Bearing Plate Install Help (Crankshaft End Play)

DeepH2O

Ok, fellas, need yalls help, again. I've installed the bearing plate with gasket and 2 shims. I didn't torque bolts, just snugged up with short ratchet. When I checked the gap, there was ZERO gap. Well, I figured I would install my 3rd shim. I installed plate again. Still no gap. Well, I loosened plate and then bumped the other side of shaft with a mallet and I see a good sized gap. When I make bolts up ONLY by hand, the gaps closes fully and I can't even get .0015 gauge in. 

Can anyone give some guidance?

Pics of hand tight and another pic loose w/ gap

IMG_4865.jpeg

IMG_4864.jpeg

Achto

Sounds like you need more shims. Have any of the old ones left?

Edited by Achto
  • Excellent 1

DeepH2O

Have the old shims, but they're not re-usable. I'll have to order more shims. 

Just for reference, its a new, but used, bearing plate as well as brand new bearing (on bearing plate side). 

Unfortunately, I work overseas on a 28 day rotation and I leave for work this coming Tuesday. The new shims won't make it by the time I leave. I’ll have to tackle it when I get back. 

• Like 1

squonk

Did you replace the PTO side bearing? And did you seat the bearing fully into the bearing plate before you installed it? If you didn't or if the bearing is not fully sliding onto the crankshaft you will get a tight reading before you even get to the bolt torque.

This is somewhat of a press fit. Quite often the retaining bolts will break before you get everything fully seated. I use studs ,washers and nuts to get everything seated then take out the studs and nuts and torque the bolts to check end play.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

DeepH2O
2 hours ago, squonk said:

Did you replace the PTO side bearing? And did you seat the bearing fully into the bearing plate before you installed it? If you didn't or if the bearing is not fully sliding onto the crankshaft you will get a tight reading before you even get to the bolt torque.

This is somewhat of a press fit. Quite often the retaining bolts will break before you get everything fully seated. I use studs ,washers and nuts to get everything seated then take out the studs and nuts and torque the bolts to check end play.

I did not change the PTO side bearings. I only replaced these because I was changing the plate and had it off. So, the first time I installed, with only the gasket and 2 shims, I had pressed the bearing in. But, when I removed the plate to install extra shim, the bearing stayed on the crank. When I installed the plate, I used the bolts to press into the plate. 

I will get some All Thread tomorrow and try what you're talking about. 

squonk

Tighten the nuts in a criss cross fashion. The bearing must seat in the plate. If the bearing is stuck on the crank you won't get a correct reading. I usually polish the crank surface where the bearing rides to make sure there are no burrs. I check how the bearing fits on the crank before pressing it into the plate. It's a tight fit but it shouldn't bind. I use grade 8 bolts and cut the heads off to make the studs.. All thread is usually pretty soft.

Edited by squonk

DeepH2O
2 hours ago, squonk said:

Tighten the nuts in a criss cross fashion. The bearing must seat in the plate. If the bearing is stuck on the crank you won't get a correct reading. I usually polish the crank surface where the bearing rides to make sure there are no burrs. I check how the bearing fits on the crank before pressing it into the plate. It's a tight fit but it shouldn't bind. I use grade 8 bolts and cut the heads off to make the studs.. All thread is usually pretty soft.

Roger that! Thanks for the guidance. What would you use to polish the crank?

squonk

Fine every cloth. 800 grit or higher sand cloth.

DeepH2O

No luck! I removed the plate, again. Cleaned the shaft of crank and then used 1000 grit followed by 2000 to make sure it was smooth. Did same with bearing seat on plate. Installed 4 x 6” all thread. Walk plate on using 4 x nuts. Got bearing seated. Snugged them up. Still, no gap 😩

I've got a few more shims on the way. Unfortunately, I'm out of time. I leave for work on Tuesday. Also, the manual says to install 2 OR 3 shims. Nothing about more than 3. 

Any other suggestions? 

kpinnc
3 hours ago, DeepH2O said:

Unfortunately, I'm out of time. I leave for work on Tuesday.

I say leave it until you get back. Sometimes you just gotta walk away and leave it alone for a little while. 

And BTW, did you replace either bearing? I wonder if there is anything behind the bearing keeping it from seating completely...

Edited by kpinnc

DeepH2O
38 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

I say leave it until you get back. Sometimes you just gotta walk away and leave it alone for a little while. 

And BTW, did you replace either bearing? I wonder if there is anything behind the bearing keeping it from seating completely...

I replaced bearing plate side bearing. Which brings up good point. So, I have 3 bearings: the original bearing, a bearing that came with the used bearing plate that I bought, and a new bearing. I wasn't sure what kind of use was on the one that came with used plate. Also, I figured since I had it apart, I would change to new bearing. The new bearing has same markings as the other 2 I have. Tomorrow, I'll throw the calipers on both to ensure same measurements. Its a long shot, but worth checking. 

kpinnc
12 hours ago, DeepH2O said:

Its a long shot, but worth checking. 

If you pressed the new bearing into the plate, is there any chance some debris found it's way behind the race?

You're only looking at a few thousanths of an inch. It wouldn't take much to exceed the thickness of a few shims...

DeepH2O
29 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

If you pressed the new bearing into the plate, is there any chance some debris found it's way behind the race?

You're only looking at a few thousanths of an inch. It wouldn't take much to exceed the thickness of a few shims...

I used the all thread and bolts to press bushing into plate. I thoroughly cleaned all surfaces before install. I usually use my robust wood vise to press bearings into place. The width of plate made it a challenge. I'm looking at buying cheap hydraulic press while I'm gone to work this time. 

From every angle, I can see, the bearing looks to be fully seated. IDK. I'll start over fresh, next time home.