Tim R

kohler 14 starting help

Tim R

My '73 No Name won't start.  Removed air filter, sprayed some carb cleaner, cleaned the connections to the coil.  Quick spray of starting fluid and it starts and runs for about 5 seconds then stops.

Fresh fuel.  New fuel pump last year.  Any suggestions appreciated.  

pfrederi

Give the carb a few taps with a hammer (gentle) may have a stuck float valve.  If no joy drop the fuel bowl make sure there is gas in it..

• Like 1

8ntruck

Sounds like a carb issue. 

Will it run with the choke full on?

Is the shut off valve at the tank open?  I've caught myself with that one several times.  This gives precisely the symptoms you are describing!

To confirm that the fuel pump is working, disconnect the fuel line at the carb and crank the engine for a few seconds.

Are you using alcohol free gas?  If not, you might have some crud in the carb.  Drop the bowl on the carb and look for crud.  If you see some, go ahead and clean the carb.  It is not a hard job to do.

Please don't use starting fluid in your Kohler engine.  Starting fluid is designed for larger engines.  It is very energetic and can severely damage a Kohler.  Instead, use carb cleaner as a starting aid.  Some folks use a squirt of raw gas into the carb.

Good luck, have fun, and let us know how things turn out.

Edited by 8ntruck

Tuneup

Also, just because a part is new (fuel pump) doesn't mean it's good. So many bad parts today it's not even worth trying a cheap part. OEM when possible. So, check the output. You can place a temp tank above the carb and let gravity do the work. That would check that the carb is functioning. Still, always a good time to inspect the carb.

Tim R

Thanks to all for the suggestions and comments.  I’ll work on today.  I’ll check the fuel pump output to begin… and will look at the bowl of the carb.  I use alcohol free gas.  Amd thanks for the note about using carb cleaner spray for a start instead of starting fuel… 

Tim R

Back in business.  New oem fuel pump.  Carb cleaner spray.  I’ll do a full carb clean soon.  Thanks boys!