Vinco

Acquired 2 new to me black hoods!

Vinco

Hi!  I'm from central Arkansas,  and my compulsion for interesting mechanical things has combined with my need to both mow my lawn easier than pushing and to be able to schlep stuff around my vast 2-acre estate lol!  Which has led me to discover the Wheel Horse tractor and subsequently this forum. 

My first introduction to the brand was a Facebook ad for a guy locally selling a C-195.  After not much research,  mostly here on RS, I became fascinated with the mechanics of the brand, especially the mule drive system for the deck and other accessories,  so I went and looked at it and ultimately bought it from him.  

So now I'm going nuts about looking for these things, and I find another ad for a WH 48" mower deck.  One of the pictures showed the deck sitting on the hood of the tractor with the remnants of the decals visible,  which said C-175 Twin 8-speed.  While it looks ROUGH, the body work is solid except for the fiberglass seat surround.   The motor is locked up tight, and the transmission won't shift.  I may see about repowering it if I can get the transmission figured out. 

• Like 6

Sparky

:WRS:

Jumping right into the addiction with a C-195…impressive! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Love the Black Hoods! :ph34r:

ebinmaine
28 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Agreed!

And...

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Achto

Share some pictures of your new :wh:'s please.

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:  don’t force that locked up transmission, it’s likely able to be saved 

• Like 1

Pullstart

• Like 1

rjg854

WHX??

Around here a C-195 is known as the Super C...:)

• Like 1

oliver2-44
6 hours ago, Sparky said:

Impressive, I'm down right jealous of a Newbie starting with a Supper C.

Guess I should just say :text-welcomeconfetti: 

If the transmission main shifter is locked up it might be in two gears at once, or it has water in it.  What does the rubber boot around the shifter look like, that is where water gets in these transmissions. Drain the transmission and if it has water or milkshake looking oil it needs to come apart.  Fill it with diesel/kerosene to help flush it out before disassembly.  That gear oil is a mess.  If the oil is decent, remove the shifter by removing the allen head bolt and look down in the hole.  Check that the two shift rails  look like they form a "square " when it is in neutral. If it doesn't look square take a large screw drive and try to move one of the shift rails so it forms a square.  Don't use excessive force, you could break a shift fork.   also, if the high low shifter wont move, it needs to come apart and get cleaned up.  These transmissions are not hard to disassemble and repair.  Steve posted a great video to help you on that. 

• Like 1

jay bee

:text-welcomewave: to :rs:

Vinco
12 hours ago, Sparky said:

Go big or go home,  right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Vinco
9 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

Impressive, I'm down right jealous of a Newbie starting with a Supper C.

Guess I should just say :text-welcomeconfetti: 

If the transmission main shifter is locked up it might be in two gears at once, or it has water in it.  What does the rubber boot around the shifter look like, that is where water gets in these transmissions. Drain the transmission and if it has water or milkshake looking oil it needs to come apart.  Fill it with diesel/kerosene to help flush it out before disassembly.  That gear oil is a mess.  If the oil is decent, remove the shifter by removing the allen head bolt and look down in the hole.  Check that the two shift rails  look like they form a "square " when it is in neutral. If it doesn't look square take a large screw drive and try to move one of the shift rails so it forms a square.  Don't use excessive force, you could break a shift fork.   also, if the high low shifter wont move, it needs to come apart and get cleaned up.  These transmissions are not hard to disassemble and repair.  Steve posted a great video to help you on that. 

Thank you for the welcome and the advice!  While the 195 does indeed seem more rare, the 175 may actually be more interesting to me in terms of actually working on a project, because the 195 actually starts easily, runs and drives.

The 175 hi-lo selector is stuck in high, and the gear shifter is in neutral.  The wheels will turn in opposite directions,  but the tractor will not roll.  The trans dipstick is kind of corroded, so I don't have extremely high hopes for the rest of the transmission.  I put half a quart of ATF in there just to let it marinate for a bit.  I also filled the engine cylinders with ATF to let them soak. We'll see if it helps break anything loose.

• Like 1

oliver2-44

The hi lo shifter has a fork that can bend causing it to stick. It also has no seal where it enters the transmission and that shaft can rust and stick. Try some penetrant around the shifter several times. But I would suspect it’s the shift fork. 

On your KT17 engine do you know if it is a Series 1 or 2. Series 1 had a lube problem mowing on slopes, causing rod failures. Series2 has an oil pump and filter. That fixed that problem. 

Edited by oliver2-44

Vinco

A few pics are always in order.

20230718_175055.jpg

20230718_175108.jpg

20230718_175112.jpg

20230718_175339.jpg

• Like 1