Jon Paulsen

How long to store before battery buddy?

Jon Paulsen

Hello fella horse jockeys, I have a 12-38XL and a 416-8, both with nice newer batteries that work very well. With the price of batteries, I'd like to keep it that way :lol: this summer is the first time I care about batteries in anything that can do yard work. Dead Dixon just got a jump start if needed... I knew it was doomed. 

As I get these into shape, one or the other might sit for a while. How long before in need a battery buddy in the summer season with battery connected? Or should it always be disconnected? I would hope they sit no more than a month, but life happens and sometimes it might be longer. 

I'm thinking something like battery buddy with battery connected if I expect 2 weeks, or just disconnect the battery. Then if it turns into a more work than expected get it disconnected and on the battery buddy.

What's best for the batteries? Any advice appreciated! 

squonk

I have a tender for every tractor. The 2 that mow every week i leave unhooked. Other 3 stay connected all the time. 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
58 minutes ago, squonk said:

I have a tender for every tractor. The 2 that mow every week i leave unhooked. Other 3 stay connected all the time. 

Excellent idea.  

Your battery tenders are fully automatic?

The advice I was given, and follow for years now:

If the machine will be started and run for 10 to 15 minutes or more every 4 to 8 weeks just leave it alone.  

If you know it won't be used for more than a couple months during HOT 🥵🔥 ... OR 🥶 COLD weather either get a tender for it or remove the battery and shelf it where the temperature stays more moderated. 

• Like 1

ineedanother

A smart trickle charger could extend the life of your battery. Avoid deep discharges and rapid charging if you can. That being said, my suggestion would be to put a good battery maintainer on it if you're not using it regularly but there shouldn't be any need to disconnect it unless you're moving the battery away from temperature extremes.

• Like 2

oliver2-44

Temperature significantly effects the life of a battery. If their going to be stored for a longer period, move the battery to a cooler spot

• Like 3

squonk

In the olden days, you were taught not to place a battery on concrete. Now days battery companies store them on concrete because it's cooler.

• Like 2

Jon Paulsen

Thanks fellas! Smoke from fires up north is killin' me. Appreciate all the suggestions. Not digesting information well right now. 

Wheel-N-It

I have a battery tender on everything that I don't drive every day. 

I can actually go ten years on the same battery that's in my diesel tractor and bobcat skid steer loader. 

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

I keep my C 105 on a tender all the time.

Same with my three electric models (A60, E-141, E-141). 36 volt systems.

I got 6 years out of my last C105 battery. We'll see on the electric models. Haven't had them very long...