6wheeler

What the hell just happened

6wheeler

Hi all. I hope all are well. I just got home from a luxurious week at the torture spa. Otherwise known, as the Hospital. We have taken the RV on a couple of trips. On the way home from the last one, the rear fuel pump went out. Last Sunday morning I told my lovely bride that I was going to drop the tank out. I put the rig on the concrete slab. I PUT IT IN PARK. Unfortunately? I did NOT apply the parking brake. It is very heavy. My plan was to jack up each side. There is just about enough room under the machine to get the tank out without lifting it. But, I wanted a bit more room. I can just slide under the tank on my back without lifting the rig. And, I can sit up under it behind the tank to remove the tank straps when it is not lifted. I think that gave me a false sense of security. I jacked up the left rear and put the wheels on 2 pre-cut 2"x12" 's. Plus a 1"x6"  for a total of 41/2". I went to th right side and proceeded to jack up the right side. I was just starting to slide the cribbing under the right wheels when the left wheel rolled backwards off of the cribbing. I was under the tank on my side. Not enough room for me. I was pinned under the RV. Luckily? My wife had the windows open and heard my yelling. I was able to get a hold of the rear stabilizer bar and push rearward enough to get a hold of the tailpipe with my other hand and drag myself out. I just laid there and waited for the fire dept. They were there fast. Then an awesomely smooth ride to the hospital. NOT. I think she turned the ambulance around several times to go back and hit the potholes and bumps she missed. At least, that is how it felt to me. My prize for not setting the parking brake or chocking the wheels? 5 boken ribs on the left side. 1 broken rib on the right side. Plus? A bonus broken collarbone and a small puncture in my left lung. With any other of my vehicles, I use jackstands. I just didn't think my current jackstands were heavy enough for this. I should have put the under the axles anyway as a precaution. I know that in a differential the wheels will turn in opposite directions if there is pressure on one side to roll and nothing holding the other side. The parking brake may, or may not have have stopped that. So, this what I am doing for when I get healed up enough to finish it up. I ordered a set of wheel chocks. Also? 8' 6"x6" posts will be cut down for solid ramps to drive it up on instead of jacking it up. I am thankful it isn't worse and that my wife was right here. She has been my Angel through this whole thing. Never get under something without someone close by. Take care all..           Pat

• Like 1
  • Sad 13

JoeM

yes, lost a friend in a similar accident. he was under his motor home and it had air suspension. actually he was looking for an air leak. he could not hear the leak with the engine running. so he turned it off and crawled under. the motor home, it settled and he got caught. he called his mother on his cell phone and got the answering machine. pleading for help. there may have been a chance of someone hearing him yell but a local church was have bands play in the distance. no one heard him.

just needed someone to start up the motor home to build air.

he knew better, but for some reason did not block it,

• Sad 6

nylyon

I know the feeling all too well. Glad you made it out.

• Heart 1