Raider69

Hey all, I haven't posted in quite awhile, life kind of happened and all my projects have been on hold since I last posted. It's been a crazy couple years but things are finally getting back to normal and it's time to get back to my Wheelhorses. I have 4, all in need of work, some more than others.

My '75 B-100 is still chugging along, had it all tuned up and ready to plow snow last Winter but we didn't get enough to even bother plowing, I've pushed around a fair bit of dirt and rock with it though. Still haven't added the hydraulic lift to it yet or put the snowblower back on but I have since acquired 2 complete 42" snow blade setups The blade on it now is shot so it will come off and one of the others or a blower will take it's place. I'll modify the current mount to take a V-plow I want to put on another Horse.

The Raider 9 is still sitting with an empty engine bay and the 12HP Kohler is still sitting on the cart where I unloaded it 2-1/2 or 3 years ago. My Dad's old David Bradley with the custom V-plow I want to mount on the Raider is still buried next to it although both are much closer to seeing daylight than they were even just a few weeks ago. I also have a complete Tecumseh HH-120 out of a Craftsman that would look just like it's original HH-100 but after having 3 of this style Tecumseh self destruct on me I have reservations about using it. Then again I may still drop the 12HP Kohler in the B-100 and move it's 10HP Kohler to the Raider.

My 1970 Commando V-8 and 1972 CG-8 are both still in pieces awaiting replacements for their grenaded VH-80's. I may even get crazy and do some painting on them. I still intend to put the NOS Tecumseh OXVL-120 shortblock in the CG-8 but I decided the Briggs 14.5 HP I have sitting in the Commando will require a little more sheet metal modification than I care to undertake. Plus the carb linkage setup on it is too "busy" and is just plain ugly. It's no show piece and never will be but I can't stand looking at that awful contraption. I just snagged a complete running Kawasaki FC4290V 14HP out of a JD and preliminary measurements seem to indicate it will clear the stock hood. I hope to yank the Briggs out and set the Kawi in it's place in the next few days. I've been using an old JD RX73 to mow since my Commando coughed up a rod a few years ago and have come to really appreciate the 9HP Kawi FC290V in it. Although the Deere does a decent job for what it is it lacks some features of my Wheelhorse. The deck lift on the WH is SO much better than the Deere for one thing. I had hoped to snag one of the 9HP Kawis for the Commando as I know it will fit with no issue but stumbled across the 420 a couple days ago at a great price and it came with the wiring harness from the Deere so I figured if 9HP was good 14HP was clearly better. :lol: BTW, anyone ever put belts on a Deere rear engine rider like an RX73? I just did mine a couple days ago after I watched a YT video on doing it by "Taryl Fixes All" and he says right in the video it's a tough one and most people will get halfway through the video and decide to pay someone else to do it. Even with the tips and shortcuts he shows it is NOT fun!!! I got halfway through the job and started thinking it would be easier to yank the engine and stick in my WH and get it running LOL. I'll never complain about dropping the deck or changing belts on my Commando again, it's a piece of cake compared to those old rear engine Deeres.

And THEN they are ALL in need of new tires.....  :wacko: ouch.

So, that's where I'm at........ not much change since I was here last EXCEPT I have 2 new knees and can walk farther than 20 ft. at a time without pain, I can stand for longer than 60 seconds at a time without pain and I can get up and down with out fear of one or both of my knees going out from under me. Just can't kneel for more than a few seconds without LOTS of padding but that's a minor thing compared to what I've been living with the past few years. I can spend the day in the shop again without paying for it for the next week. Ah, the simple things! :D 

Edited by Raider69
Spelling and punctuation errors.
  • Like 6

lynnmor

I had new knees installed 2.5 years ago and can do everything normally except kneel.  While I can kneel, it just feels stupid so I find other positions to do what is needed.  

• Like 2

Raider69
2 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

I had new knees installed 2.5 years ago and can do everything normally except kneel.  While I can kneel, it just feels stupid so I find other positions to do what is needed.  

MIne feel like I'm kneeling on a hundred thousand tiny little needles. Not really "painful" but very strange so I work around it.

c-series don

I bought a lift table to work on my tractors and I really believe it was well worth it. I think it was about $600 from Harbor Freight. I have a bad back and not bending over or laying on the ground makes me want to work on them! As soon as I lifted the first tractor I thought to myself “I should have gotten one of these a long time ago!” 

• Like 3