Retired Wrencher

20 minutes run time.

Retired Wrencher

I have this 12 hp Service engine that runs great for about 20 minutes, then slowly dies out no matter what I do. Video 1 running good for at least 20 minutes. Video #2 dying out. Any thoughts? Carb is totally rebuilt. 

Edited by Retired Wrencher

OoPEZoO

Is the fuel source properly vented so no vacuum is created?  Not just tractor related, but I've run into it a few times where the vent cap gets clogged and it eventually chokes the motor out.  On motorcycles it is obvious when you open the fuel filler and hear/feel a whoosh of air, but is less noticeable in tractors that use much less fuel.  At least worth a check to rule it out.

Edited by OoPEZoO
  • Like 3

8ntruck

Does it start right up after it dies out, or does it need to sit a while before it will start?  Might be heat related?

Retired Wrencher
6 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Does it start right up after it dies out, or does it need to sit a while before it will start?  Might be heat related?

It will by choke but still runs rough.

ri702bill
3 hours ago, Retired Wrencher said:

It will by choke but still runs rough.

Glad to see an inline spark checker. I assume it still "glows" after it dies and you try to restart?? If so - then to me it is not a bad coil issue... It does seem fuel related. How old are the fuel lines?? The fuel pump pulls fuel from the tank - try to bend a tight radius in the tank line by hand and check for any pesky microcracks that can allow air in - seen that before...! Those cracks do not leak fuel, but enough of them will let air in.

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 1

peter lena

@ri702bill  agree on the carb issue , try running it on a seperate  treated fuel jug , collective fuel tank debris , dirty filters , all ads up , also a hand over carb , might help out . fuel bowl probably has awnswer . pete

• Like 2

ri702bill
21 minutes ago, peter lena said:

fuel bowl probably has awnswer . pete

Pete - you mean that the bottom of the bowl may be holding unwanted items in addition to gasoline.......?

Retired Wrencher

Well guys it that old adage. Do the simple things first. The gas cap not venting because it not original to the Raider 10 tank. Been running it all morning. The only thing is the cap leaks so that is what started the problem. So far :).

• Like 3

peter lena

yes , carb was rebuilt , should be able to take that out of the picture , if any of the fuel line related set up was not  verified for clean , might get an imediate refill of debris /  line berak down . having experienced that same result my self , thats why I  go to a seperate , gallon jug to run it in on . engine sounds good , have a regular  , recovery  step that finds the issue . if it runs on that gallon issue free , its lines , filters , tank , pete

Retired Wrencher

Pete this was a on the shelf engine from a dealer so? But with the cap venting now works well so far.

• Like 2

peter lena

@Retired Wrencher sounds like that was it , obviousely can,t  duplicate your issue on line . rarely found anything to be a single , issue , usually a collective , run, test , try , that look has led me onto related steps , good for you .