Brando Commando

Intermittent shut off

Brando Commando

Long time lurker, first post. I've tried and tried to diagnose this issue by browsing the forum, but am now stumped.

My father passed down our family 1987 316-B tractor once he moved and got himself a zero turn, and man I couldn't be happier. It's the tractor that I learned to cut grass on when I was like 10 years old.

It runs great (when she wants to - I'll get to that) and everything works as it should, except that on random, intermittent times, she dies. It's not a fuel issue, I know that much. New lines, new filter, cleaned and rebuilt the carb. What happens is that it'll sometimes just....cut off. It's like somebody just turns the key off. Thinking it was the ignition switch, I replaced that. Also replaced the coil. 

When it cuts off, it'll sometimes backfire. But once I reset the key, it'll start right back up like it never happened. If I can catch it fast enough, and reset the key off and then on again, it'll resume running. 

If it were a loose wire or a bad fuse or something like that, I wouldn't think I would be able to start it right back up or resume running like I can. 

I'm totally stumped. 

• Like 1

lynnmor

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Please verify the year and model number, it appears incorrect.

Check any engine connectors and safety switches.

ri702bill

Hmm...... the 316-8 is a European model with the 16 HP Onan engine. I do not know if it has the dreaded 9 pin connector that is soo troublesome on the 416 and the 520 models. If it does - ya might want to look there for signs of overheating due to high resistance...

Bill

• Like 1

peter lena

@Brando Commando tend to agree with @ri702bill on that connector  possibility , another thing  that I  have found to be related , is a cracked  powerdry debris  in the fault area . , you can easily get those connectors on line if needed , chafing / corroded  wiring is common .  might also try some alligator  clip test wires to jump over the area ,looking for a longer run time .  good luck with your hunt . pete

Brando Commando

It's a 416-8. Sorry about that. 

lynnmor
12 minutes ago, Brando Commando said:

It's a 416-8. Sorry about that. 

What year?  There should be a sticker on the fender under the left front cover of the seat.

If you have a white 9 pin connector near the battery, start by checking the condition of that.

• Like 1