newby

42 inch deck

newby

have deck no. 0542ms05  has greasable bearings got the nuts off how to remove pulleys and replace bearings

• Like 1

Skwerl58

I remove the blades and grease fittings and set my deck on stands or blocks and then loosen the top nut about all the way. I keep the nut covering the threads and top of the shaft then I get a block of wood and set it on the nut and hit it with a large hammer, 32oz. My pulleys are held in place by the nut so the shaft should just drive out the bottom. I then remove the spindle and the bottom split ring and drive the bearings out of the ends through the spindle with a drift. The spindle has a sleeve between the bearings which can be moved to the side to drive out the bearings. The bearings are a popular bearing so you should be able to find them local. "Greasy Pete" is a great resource here and he should be along shortly to explain how to get those bearings to last.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Skwerl58

I forgot to add that once the shaft moves that the nut needs to be removed. Most will figure this out but....

peter lena

@newby  here you go , drop down to the 11 th . reply showing you what I  do , nail pullers used . for easy , damage free pulley removal , also reccomend lucas grease  , extra hd , marine , or red . hi temp 550 + lubricant is what you want , those bearings are easy to clean out and repack , remove the bearing side rubber seal , carefully , small putty knife or pocket screwdriver , wipe out original grease , carb cleaner flush and repack / install seal . pay attention to disasambley .  also do the muel drive bearings . wait for you to catch up , for more awnswers. pete

oliver2-44

:text-welcomeconfetti:Use either of the methods mentioned above. But spray them with your favorite penetrating oil a couple of times a day for several days or weeks.  Remember they have had a lot of years to rust in place.  Praying doesn't hurt!  Then try to remove them. 

Don't use a 3 jaw puller to clamp on the outside of the pulley, you will destroy them. if the wonder bar doesn't work, you may be able to get a bearing separator under the pulley and them mount your puller to the separator.  Many auto supplies load pullers as part of they loaner tools.

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-yeahthat: and :text-welcomeconfetti:

newby

thanks to all very helpful will give it a try.  the bottom pulley on center drive is bad anybody know where i can order one ? just noticed all the pulley are bad . any buddy have a suggestion were to buy or what  i  can use for pulleys.

Edited by newby
more problems than i thought.
  • Like 1

newby

every thing is working fine thanks to all for help

• Like 1