FARMERIK

5060 Limited slip Unidrive?

FARMERIK

It looks like I may have a 5060 Unidrive on a Wheel Horse I am getting ready to work in my garden with a belly mount cultivator. In the manual I noticed mention of a service bulletin telling how to change the  limited slip differential to a regular differential.  I have not jacked it up to tell for sure. [ if that works like a car] It does have the extension on the fill plug I assume is for more gear oil inside.

The tractor is a rescue from one of those collectors who buys a bunch of tractors and moves the best looking parts to one he kept  and sold me a rolling chassis with miss matched numbers and no engine at all.

I'd like anyone with knowledge or experience with the 5060 to say what they know or heard about it. - FARMERIK

• Like 1

ebinmaine

:text-welcomeconfetti:

If that's truly a Wheelhorse Limited Slip Differential transmission I'm not aware of a way to change from Limited to Open Diff without disassembling the transmission. 

Is there a specific reason why you'd prefer the open diff?

8ntruck

I've never worked on a Wheel Horse limited slip tranny, but they work with a C shaped spring that provides friction on the pinion gears in the differential.  That friction will transfer some torque from the axle that is spinning faster to the axle that is spinning slower.

I'd guess the conversion would involve opening the transmission and removing those springs.

• Like 2

Pullstart

I’ve never known of  any reason not to love a limited slip diff.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 4

pfrederi
23 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

I’ve never known of  any reason not to love a limited slip diff.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

Handy Don
22 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

I've never worked on a Wheel Horse limited slip tranny, but they work with a C shaped spring that provides friction on the pinion gears in the differential.  That friction will transfer some torque from the axle that is spinning faster to the axle that is spinning slower.

I'd guess the conversion would involve opening the transmission and removing those springs.

There quite a bit more involved.

In simple terms, the easiest way to make an LSD an “open” differential is to convert it to an 8-pinion differential by replacing at least a dozen internal parts. There are threads on the forum that discuss this.

That said, I, too, am a loss as to why someone would choose to do this if the LSD and transaxle as a whole are not broken in some way.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Here is a video of the #5060 transmission.  To change to an open trans (like a #5091), you need to change out the entire differential to an 8 pinion differential and also find the 2 piece 11/44 tooth mushroom gear.  There is a Service Bulletin that shows what it takes.  Quite honestly, the LSD is better for what you are doing.  Usually, the guys that are involved in pulling want the 8 pinion differentials.

• Like 2

FARMERIK

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I've been away from my computer for a few hours.

I am not interested in changing out the limited slip, but since there was a service bulletin I wondered if it had been done. I will need to turn quickly at the end of garden rows but usually skip the next row or two making two 90 degree turns instead of one 180 degree turn. The limited slip in my short bed  full size GMC will bind if I turn as sharp as possible. Always has since new. 

I expect I can work around any  Unidrive binding if it happens. If it dragged a wheel when mowing that would tear up a nice lawn I suppose. This tractor will be just for use in the garden. 

I wondered if the service builtin  meant they failed or just some owners did not like them. - FARMERIK

squonk

You'll be fine turning. It's "Limited slip" Not Posi. There is a tiny spring that puts a little friction on the pinions to keep them from turning. They go around corners and turn fine.

• Like 4

Handy Don
35 minutes ago, FARMERIK said:

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I've been away from my computer for a few hours.

I am not interested in changing out the limited slip, but since there was a service bulletin I wondered if it had been done. I will need to turn quickly at the end of garden rows but usually skip the next row or two making two 90 degree turns instead of one 180 degree turn. The limited slip in my short bed  full size GMC will bind if I turn as sharp as possible. Always has since new. 

I expect I can work around any  Unidrive binding if it happens. If it dragged a wheel when mowing that would tear up a nice lawn I suppose. This tractor will be just for use in the garden. 

I wondered if the service builtin  meant they failed or just some owners did not like them. - FARMERIK

I run a 5060 on an 854 with original “all purpose” 6-12 tires and the only time I’ve seen an inside rear tire scuff just a bit was on an extremely soft bare soil surface. I do full-lock turns when mowing the grass just fine.

• Like 2

Pullstart

:text-yeahthat: x2.  As long as it’s in good tight shape, change the oil, verify the condition of the shift boot and run it!

• Like 2

stevasaurus

On these Limited Slip transmissions, the Limited Slip only works when going in a straight line.  It is a regular, one wheel drive transmission when turning.

I believe the guys that Pull the sleds with these horses are the most responsible for being able to switch from 10 pinion differentials to 8 pinion.  The 10 pinion differentials have pinions that "float" ie. not on shafts in the housing.  The 8 pinions in the 8 pinion differentials are on shafts and are a little larger...larger teeth also.  The Limited Slip transmission is plenty strong if the horse is used for what it was intended.  Changing drive pulley sizes, increased engine horse power, wider, oversized tires changes the dynamic of the tractor.  There was also a time when you could not replace the spring that holds the pinions in place.  Those springs are being made available again...thanks to Lowell.

When you think about it, the Limited Slip transmissions are stock on some horses from 1967 to 1973.  That is 53 - 54 years old.  There is still a lot of them out there...not to shabby.  :orcs-cheers:  :USA:

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Handy Don
1 hour ago, stevasaurus said:

There is still a lot of them out there...not to shabby

And some of us went our of our way to get one! :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

And some of us went our of our way to get one! :)

Or THREE

• Thanks 1