Robaroni

WH 314 traction belt?

Robaroni

Anyone know of a traction belt that doesn't grab all of a sudden. I tried a Kevlar belt from eBay, it was a good belt but I couldn't release the tranny. I'm using one from NAPA, it works okay but I'm wondering if there are better options? I'm using an 82" belt, I'm wondering if an 83" belt might work better?

Thanks,

Rob

squonk

82" is correct. I found the blue belts are a little sticky when new. I slip the clutch a bit to wear them in and then they are fine. The better grade Gates (Napa Green belts) work great but are more $$$

• Like 1

peter lena

@Robaroni  have you lubricated all related linkage points ? how about the idler pulley function ? smoothe / easy / quiet ?  might also check the pedal pull spring , get some rust running out of every movement point , areosol grease , part of the puzzle , pete

Robaroni
6 hours ago, peter lena said:

@Robaroni  have you lubricated all related linkage points ? how about the idler pulley function ? smoothe / easy / quiet ?  might also check the pedal pull spring , get some rust running out of every movement point , areosol grease , part of the puzzle , pete

Thanks Peter, I'll check tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

wallfish

Make sure the engine drive pulley groove is clean and smooth. Rust or paint will make them grab a belt much quicker.

• Like 1

Robaroni
21 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Make sure the engine drive pulley groove is clean and smooth. Rust or paint will make them grab a belt much quicker.

Thanks Wallfish. I don't think it's that pulley because when I press the clutch the mechanism that stops the belt grabs really hard and the tractor jerks to a halt which I would think means the engine side is not grabbing. Maybe the tranny side has a problem. With Kevlar belts it's really bad, the tractor is always pulling forward even with the clutch completely pressed.

Edited by Robaroni
wording error

wallfish
56 minutes ago, Robaroni said:

Thanks Wallfish. I don't think it's that pulley because when I press the clutch the mechanism that stops the belt grabs really hard and the tractor jerks to a halt which I would think means the engine side is not grabbing. Maybe the tranny side has a problem. With Kevlar belts it's really bad, the tractor is always pulling forward even with the clutch completely pressed.

ALL of the "cluthing" which is actually belt slip and grabbing for drive is done at the engine pulley by design on a Wheel Horse.

Is the belt guard installed?  The belt guard guides the belt around the ENGINE pulley so it slips.

I use Kevlar belts on every one of my tractors and don't have any issues with them at all. It's all about getting the belt to slip around the engine pulley correctly when the clutch pedal is pushed. There should be no jerking on releasing the clutch pedal either. If that happens it's grabbing in the engine pulley and not slipping trough as more pressure is applied.

Robaroni
8 hours ago, wallfish said:

ALL of the "cluthing" which is actually belt slip and grabbing for drive is done at the engine pulley by design on a Wheel Horse.

Is the belt guard installed?  The belt guard guides the belt around the ENGINE pulley so it slips.

I use Kevlar belts on every one of my tractors and don't have any issues with them at all. It's all about getting the belt to slip around the engine pulley correctly when the clutch pedal is pushed. There should be no jerking on releasing the clutch pedal either. If that happens it's grabbing in the engine pulley and not slipping trough as more pressure is applied.

Can't be, here's why:

If the engine pulley was grabbing when the clutch is in and the brake is on then the engine would load down - it's not. If the tranny pulley is grabbing then when the clutch locks the pulley at the idler wheel then the tranny locks up and stops the tractor which is what's happening. I'll pull it apart today but the culprit has to be at the tranny side, not the engine side.

wallfish
15 minutes ago, Robaroni said:

Can't be, here's why:

If the engine pulley was grabbing when the clutch is in and the brake is on then the engine would load down - it's not. If the tranny pulley is grabbing then when the clutch locks the pulley at the idler wheel then the tranny locks up and stops the tractor which is what's happening. I'll pull it apart today but the culprit has to be at the tranny side, not the engine side.

Ok  Nevermind

Robaroni

Okay, I pulled the 314 apart, ran the pulleys on the lathe and cleaned them up, also checked the idler pulley. Things looked pretty good.  I wound up putting the original belt back on  because I noticed, while the width was about the same as the new belt, the thickness was less. It does work better., not 100% but no grabbing or locking up.