cafoose

520-HC comes through again

cafoose

I just got done mowing three to four foot tall grass with my 520-HC. I'm really impressed how it cut right through and the governor hardly kicked in :banana-rock:

20230527_132650.jpg

20230527_135702.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 4

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

WOW. me to. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

cafoose
Just now, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

WOW. me to. 

I did have to go over it several times to get it to look that good but it was more seat time :happy-bouncymulticolor:

• Like 5

JCM

Tough to beat a well running 520.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

What deck?  

• Like 1

cafoose
3 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

What deck?  

48" side discharge standard issue for 1988 520-HC. Just put a NOS PTO belt and PTO clutch on it. I only heard a little belt squeal once or twice. Could have been deck belt squeal. I never investigated it.

• Like 3

oldlineman

IMPRESSIVE 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

lynnmor

The 520-H tractors have a horsepower meter which is actually a vacuum gauge.  You would be surprised at how much that meter is in the 75% to 100% range meaning that the governor has the carburetor nearly or fully open.  If I were mowing grass that high it would be near 100% all the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don
32 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

The 520-H tractors have a horsepower meter which is actually a vacuum gauge.  You would be surprised at how much that meter is in the 75% to 100% range meaning that the governor has the carburetor nearly or fully open.  If I were mowing grass that high it would be near 100% all the time.

Out of curiosity, do you have any idea of the vacuum range of that gauge in inches of mercury or other scale? Thanks!

• Like 1

cafoose
2 hours ago, lynnmor said:

I never realized that. I knew of the gauge but didn't think to look at it. I was going by sound of the engine and it seldom grunted

• Like 1

Brockport Bill

wow -- the HC is certainly a beast

wh 520hc left side with mower.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

No doubt it is. Luv the sound of its motor to. Like no other. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

lynnmor
4 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Out of curiosity, do you have any idea of the vacuum range of that gauge in inches of mercury or other scale? Thanks!

I have never compared the gauge to one that has numbers.  I do know that 100% horsepower equates to zero vacuum. I would think that it is the typical -30 to 0 with a different dial.

• Like 1

Handy Don
2 hours ago, lynnmor said:

I have never compared the gauge to one that has numbers.  I do know that 100% horsepower equates to zero vacuum. I would think that it is the typical -30 to 0 with a different dial.

The P218 that I’m running has the tube for the vacuum (plugged at the moment due to the usual broken sensor). I’ve considered hooking it to a vacuum gauge from a 520. Maybe I’ll find one at the Show to experiment with.

• Like 1

lynnmor

There is an air filter sensor that often breaks, the tube to it connected to the bottom of the air filter base.  The horsepower gauge connected to a fitting threaded into the intake manifold forward of the carburetor.  The intakes usually aren’t drilled on models without the horsepower gauge.

• Like 1

Handy Don
15 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

There is an air filter sensor that often breaks, the tube to it connected to the bottom of the air filter base.  The horsepower gauge connected to a fitting threaded into the intake manifold forward of the carburetor.  The intakes usually aren’t drilled on models without the horsepower gauge.

Thanks, that makes perfect sense. I’ll have to check my manifold. I do seem to recall an un-drilled boss in the manifold casting, where the fitting likely would connect, and wondered about it. If I ever have it off, I’ll consider drilling and tapping for.a fitting!

• Like 1

lynnmor
7 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Thanks, that makes perfect sense. I’ll have to check my manifold. I do seem to recall an un-drilled boss in the manifold casting, where the fitting likely would connect, and wondered about it. If I ever have it off, I’ll consider drilling and tapping for.a fitting!

You may not have a boss but if you do you are ahead of the game.

• Like 1

2drxploder

i know the C is for commercial, but what are some of differences compared to the standard 520h?

• Like 1

Brockport Bill

per the WH brochure -- HC faster top forward and reverse speed - longer wheel base - longer tractor - wider - heavier - bigger front  and rear tires -

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

That was very impressive !!  I've never owned a 520, but you're making me want to look into it. 

• Like 2

lynnmor
10 hours ago, Brockport Bill said:

per the WH brochure -- HC faster top forward and reverse speed - longer wheel base - longer tractor - wider - heavier - bigger front  and rear tires -

It also has a larger air filter, no useless hood louvers and less fancy trim.

Handy Don
33 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

It also has a larger air filter, no useless hood louvers and less fancy trim.

11 hours ago, Brockport Bill said:

Most of the “HC” features wound up being part of the later stock 520-H’s. Swept axle (including stronger, adjustable tie rods), 1” spindles with thrust bearings, tapered front wheel bearings, and gear reduction steering (two full turns lock-to-lock instead of one full turn).

What didn’t? The non-louver hood, the oversize air cleaner, and the faster final drive gearing (sigh)!