Bob Bauer

Rj 58

Bob Bauer

Good afternoon, I have a question about my rj-58 with a 5003 transmission,are the shift forks the same in a 8 speed transmission? I have a part number for my rj 58 #3503 and I found the same number in a 8 speed transmission and wondering if it will fit ? Thanks 

Edited by Bob Bauer

stevasaurus

With out actually looking at the parts manual...if you have the same part number for a part, it will fit.  Wheel Horse manual transmissions kept a lot of the same parts for the evolution of their transmissions.  Bearings, cluster gears, pinions, gaskets and other parts are common to the different transmissions.  If you look a any parts list for a certain trans, and the parts list for another trans has the same part number...it fits.  Know this...when Wheel Horse changed ownership through the years...they may have changed some part numbers, but that will usually have a (used to be) number to check it by.

Hope that helps.  :occasion-xmas:

Bob Bauer
45 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

With out actually looking at the parts manual...if you have the same part number for a part, it will fit.  Wheel Horse manual transmissions kept a lot of the same parts for the evolution of their transmissions.  Bearings, cluster gears, pinions, gaskets and other parts are common to the different transmissions.  If you look a any parts list for a certain trans, and the parts list for another trans has the same part number...it fits.  Know this...when Wheel Horse changed ownership through the years...they may have changed some part numbers, but that will usually have a (used to be) number to check it by.

Hope that helps.  :occasion-xmas:

Yes in my parts manual the parts # is 3503 and the same # I found is the same but it’s out of a 8 speed. The shafts are different but the shift forks look the same.thanks 

Edited by Bob Bauer

oliver2-44
6 hours ago, Bob Bauer said:

The shafts are different but the shift forks look the same.thanks 

If by different you see a “flat” on the shafts, they will work. Wheelhorse added the flat to the shafts to eliminate a suction problem. 

• Like 1

Bob Bauer
16 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

If by different you see a “flat” on the shafts, they will work. Wheelhorse added the flat to the shafts to eliminate a suction problem. 

I’m not sure what you mean by flat but on the ones I have now there are three notches on each shaft on the ones I’m looking at the notches or should I say grooves go all the way around the shaft.

Edited by Bob Bauer

Pullstart
53 minutes ago, Bob Bauer said:

I’m not sure what you mean by flat but on the ones I have now there are three notches on each shaft on the ones I’m looking at the notches or should I say grooves go all the way around the shaft.

The grooves ended up being cut deeper.  The detent pin may need to be replaced as well by a longer one.  It was a solid fix to prevent hanging up the transmission in two gears.

Bob Bauer
3 hours ago, Pullstart said:

The grooves ended up being cut deeper.  The detent pin may need to be replaced as well by a longer one.  It was a solid fix to prevent hanging up the transmission in two gears.

Ok thanks for your help.