Stigian

Introducing the Stig Special

Stigian

While that was going on Pete started to unbolt the engine so we could elongate the mounting holes a tad and get the engine and trans pulleys lining up.

TSS978.jpg

A file proved almost infective against the hard steel..

TSS981.jpg

So Pete attacked it with some small cutting discs.

TSS982.jpg

Sometime later the brake pedal block was sliced in two..

TSS983.jpg

Much much later the pedal block was finished.... Shame the battery tray would be in the way.. Better move the battery again then! :rolleyes:

TSS984.jpg

The point had come where I couldn't really do much else on this beast without stripping bits off.

So off came the outriggers, axles and steering brakes.. Best get them out the way so I could seam weld the bit of the frame the fender pan bolts onto.

TSS985.jpg

Lot's of hot sparks later off came the rear er.... Non sub subframe!!! :dunno:

TSS986.jpg

Lot's of bracing was clamped on to stop things warping while the in/under side was seam welded..

TSS988.jpg

Finished with a coat of rust oxide primer..

TSS989.jpg

Getting fed up with tools, steel off cut's and general muck getting in the way the time had come to tidy not one..

TSS990.jpg

But two benches!!

TSS991.jpg

Later that day Rob turned to give me a hand.. Cheer Rob..

TSS992.jpg

So soon my once tidy bench was full of engine and trans..

TSS994.jpg

And the beasts bare chassis had been turned upside down so I could finish all the welding..

TSS993.jpg

A couple of days later it was welded and painted..

TSS995.jpg

Well almost... I nearly forgot about the battery tray mounts!!

TSS996.jpg

Stigian

Good to read another update - keep 'em coming :thumbs:

Andy

Thanks Andy, yet more of this update to come :handgestures-thumbup:

Trapped!!!

Well, not quite.. Pete dropped in to lend a hand and while the chassis was being turned over again it would of been rude to turn down the opportunity of a daft photo :D

TSS997.jpg

Once Pete grabs a camera he finds it hard to put it down again, so have a rare photo of me cleaning the bench again..

TSS998.jpg

And the rear "aboveframe" going on.

TSS999.jpg

Tonight Ladies and Gents I have the proud honor or presenting to you all the first ever photo of the complete but naked chassis...

This was the first time I had seen the chassis like this... Quite an emotional moment..

TSS1000.jpg

Of course with Pete being Pete :rolleyes:

TSS1001.jpg

Not that it's all fun here... sometime I just get the uncontrollable urge to weld nuts onto bit's of steel!!

TSS1002.jpg

These will be welded on about here, here, here, and here :D

TSS1003.jpg

One of the many "little" jobs to do was to drill the outrigger mounting holes a tad bigger, as getting the bolts in has always been a bit er.. tight..

TSS1004.jpg

Before Pete vanished he gave me a quick hand getting the engine back on the chassis.. Just a simple job of sliding the engine down a ramp from the bench, but much easier and safer (not light these M20's) with two people.

TSS1005.jpg

To finish off yesterday I started to weld on the plates with the captive nuts..

TSS1006.jpg

And had a think about changing the leaky axle oil seal on the trans.

TSS1007.jpg

bowtiebutler956

Great update, as always. Looking great, you are a very creative individual.

Matt

Stigian

Wow!!!! Almost up to date now.. welcome to today..

This morning started with finishing the welding and splashing some brown paint on the back.

TSS1008.jpg

The top of the battery tray mounts got a coating as well.

TSS1009.jpg

Changing the axle oil seal on the trans only took 30 mins..

TSS1010.jpg

The old one put up a fight coming out though :rolleyes:

TSS1011.jpg

Half hour later no oil had seeped past the new seal, so it was time to drop the trans back on the chassis.. The only way to get it across from the bench to the chassis (if your on your own) was to slide it over the scaffold board bridge!!

TSS1012.jpg

Getting the trans on the chassis was quite easy.. However getting the four trans mounting bolts in was quite a pain!!

TSS1013.jpg

Another one of those little jobs done (bar a run round with a file and a lick of paint) are the side trans mounts..

TSS1014.jpg

As the the trans casing is tapered where the axles emerge I had to cut two "wedges" to get the trans firmly bolted down, the wedges were cut from an old plastic chopping board..

Easy to cut and shape, strong with a little squish, and of course it won't rust :)

TSS1015.jpg

A long time was spent working out how all the rods and parking brake bits fitted in here.. Got there in the end.

TSS1016.jpg

And this is how things looked at the end of today.

TSS1017.jpg

Every part that goes back on is one step closer to "test drive time"... It won't be long now folks :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

AMC RULES

Out of curiosity Ian, why did you go with the nylon spacers for the trans case vs. fabbing up some out of metal? :scratchead:

Seems like with all the torque involved at the wheels, you'd want that mounted up solid. No? :teasing-poke:

meadowfield

you've done a lot of good work there ! will have to pop down to see you soon ! :bow-blue:

Hodge71

I love following this thread Ian. I cant wait to see the finished product. You have some mad fab skills my friend.....

massey

Looking great Ian. It's getting closer and closer, can't wait to see it finished.

Stigian

Great update, as always. Looking great, you are a very creative individual.

Matt

Thanks Matt :handgestures-thumbup:

Out of curiosity Ian, why did you go with the nylon spacers for the trans case vs. fabbing up some out of metal? :scratchead:

Seems like with all the torque involved at the wheels, you'd want that mounted up solid. No? :teasing-poke:

Hi Craig, I would of made the wedge shape spacers out of steel if I could work out a way of doing it.

The "wedges" are too small (thin) to be gripped in the lathe chuck safely, and as much as I love my power hacksaw thingy it's a bit on the "old and worn" side (a bit like me) and is not that great at cutting accurately!

The chopping board plastic seemed to be the best (WARNING.. A word coming up that I don't like to use!)... compromise (there I've said it) between strength and ease of manufacture..

you've done a lot of good work there ! will have to pop down to see you soon ! :bow-blue:

Thank you Sir.. If you time your visit right, you might even get a chance to have a drive of the beast.. I'm not being tied down to a "having it ready for a test drive" date, but... That time is not far away at all :D

I love following this thread Ian. I cant wait to see the finished product. You have some mad fab skills my friend.....

Hey Jeff thanks for following this thread, it must have given you plenty to read over the years it has been going.

The "finished" product will be some time yet I'm afraid as we have just started to look seriously for a new place to live (it costs sooo much here!), so it's unlikely to be finished this year.

As for the "mad" thing... Yep, I can relate to that :D

Looking great Ian. It's getting closer and closer, can't wait to see it finished.

Thanks Massey, yep closer that moment is getting, though as explained above, it's not as close as I would like..

Only a very small update this time Chap's to show you what I got up to in the Shack yesterday..

With "test drive time" not being that far away (Yippee :banana-wrench: ) I have been cracking on with some of the smaller jobs, like making a brake pedal.

Having got the lathe work bit out the way I then had to think about making the actual pedal and how to link it to the trans brake..

Lot's of holding brake rods in place, measuring, cutting and welding later produced this.

TSS1018.jpg

Which bolts on like so.

TSS1019.jpg

Although being a hydro the slowing down and stopping should be done through the motion control (forward and backwards lever) there will always be the odd "Oh s*#t stamp on the brakes in panic" moments until we get the feel for how it drives, so I needed something strong to make the "pedal" bit out of.

Not having any thick wall box section to hand I had to make my own. For looks I gave it a slight taper while I was at it.

TSS1020.jpg

Welded up and ground down smooth.. It's going to be fun cutting the correct angle off the base of the box to weld it onto the "plate"!! :scratchead:

A job for tomorrow me thinks.

TSS1021.jpg

For those of you who like to keep up with the project "going on's" in video format, you van see the "current" new vid below.

I say "current" because I have two more videos edited and ready for YouTube.. One of them is a whooping 16 min's long!

Ole MN

Ian

Thanks loved the lathe video

Stigian

Ian

Thanks loved the lathe video

Thanks Brad, your be pleased to know there will be another video update with loads of lathe work at the end of this update :handgestures-thumbup:

Bit of a mixed bag this update, busy cracking on with more of those "small job" needed to get it moving under it's own power..

So, back to the brake pedal it is.. Having made the "upright" bit of the pedal I needed to work out how to trim it just right to fit the pedal base..

Lot's of measuring/clamping and scribbling on the masking tape soon had the angle right.

TSS1022.jpg

Even more measuring/cutting/welding (I was too busy to take many photos..Sorry) resulted in this.

TSS1023.jpg

And bolted on..

TSS1024.jpg

Grizzly Adams Garry dropped in for a few hours and gave me a hand replacing a couple of missing bolts the hold the engine to the mounting plate.

TSS1025.jpg

Quickly jumping to the outriggers, a start has been made cutting the slots needed for the belt tension thingys..

Lot and lots of filing, not fun but needs to be done.. One down, one to go..

TSS1026.jpg

A quick jump back to the brake pedal which by this time had gained a coat of paint and a bit of "anti slip grip plate".

TSS1027.jpg

Bit of a boring pic this one, but the trans cooling fan was given a good clean and bolted back on, also a spring was found for the drive belt pulley tensioner thingy.

TSS1028.jpg

Back to the brakes again, this time the steering brakes..

A couple of return springs were needed to make sure the steering levers er.. return to their "off" position..

The "over cut" bearing bloke came in handy once again for clamping bit's of steel together for welding.

TSS1029.jpg

Ta-Daa a couple of fitted springs.. These are only a temporary measure until I find the right size compression springs to fit in a more hidden position.

TSS1030.jpg

While waiting for the welds to cool on the return springs thingy, some more paint was splashed about the place. This time one the bit of frame that holds the steering brake master cylinders.

TSS1031.jpg

Although not strictly needed for a test drive, it wouldn't feel right without the proper black plastic dash panel fitted, so some careful drilling and filing later..

TSS1032.jpg

Time for some reconstruction...

TSS1033.jpg

A couple of temporary mounts were fabricated to mount the temporary (and odd) brake fluid reservoirs.

TSS1034.jpg

And to almost finish this update, have a photo of the fully fitted dash hood stand.

TSS1035.jpg

And to finish this update, here's my latest "posted" build video..

You might want to get a coffee/beer before watching this as it's a bit of a big video :)

• Like 1

massey

Great video Ian, it sure is progressing along nicely. I'd probably just cut some square pieces (3/16", or 1/4", or whatever the thickness is) and weld them just in front of the bars that are offset a little lower (if that makes any sense).

Ole MN

Smashing video, Ian, Leave it where it is and put a skid plate in front and back.

Stigian

Great video Ian, it sure is progressing along nicely. I'd probably just cut some square pieces (3/16", or 1/4", or whatever the thickness is) and weld them just in front of the bars that are offset a little lower (if that makes any sense).

Smashing video, Ian, Leave it where it is and put a skid plate in front and back.

Thanks Guy's, the video is a bit "behind the times" in this build thread time scale (note to self, get the next vid up on mootube today), the open ends of the too low bit of box have been capped off for now, though I might be tempted to "do the job properly" and move the offending bit of box when the chassis gets stripped down for final painting.

Glad you both liked the video, it wasn't too long was it?

Only a couple of quick photo's for you all this time..

After lot's of :scratchead: ing for quite a few months I have finally found a way of fitting an air cleaner under the hood.. Well almost.. the filter case needs to be "tweaked" in a bit to clear the oil filler cap, but at least there is plenty of clearance between the air cleaner and the hood :thumbs:

TSS1036.jpg

In other news the steering brake calipers have been bolted back on... After all the problems last time bleeding the air out the system, I guess I'm in for a fun day today :rolleyes:

TSS1037.jpg

meadowfield

deffo getting there Ian, can't wait to see it again. Hopefully catch up with you again in a few weeks!

wheeledhorseman

Good to see the project is progressing so well Ian and that's another great video - the standard just keeps on goin' on up!

Sparky

Did I hear you mention it wont be done this year?? I'm not sure I cant wait that long Ian :grin: !

Lookin good as always!

Mike...........

ol550

After lot's of :scratchead: ing for quite a few months I have finally found a way of fitting an air cleaner under the hood.. Well almost.. the filter case needs to be "tweaked" in a bit to clear the oil filler cap, but at least there is plenty of clearance between the air cleaner and the hood :thumbs:

TSS1036.jpg

Do you need the pipe nipple? :scratchead: If not take it out and use a pipe plug. :dunno:

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Love watching your work Lan! Well you shouldn't have any problems with traction, that thing must weigh a ton, plus 6 wheel drive! :scared-eek: The word that comes to mind is UNSTOPABLE! :woohoo: Great pics and vidio. :thumbs:

Matt

AMC RULES

Ian, have you considered changing the name of your youtube channel to :wh: TV? :scratchead:

Tune in next week, same :wh: time...same :wh: channel. :text-coolphotos:

Stigian

deffo getting there Ian, can't wait to see it again. Hopefully catch up with you again in a few weeks!

Yep, it's certainly heading in the right direction, the week after next is good for me, be cool to catch up again.

Good to see the project is progressing so well Ian and that's another great video - the standard just keeps on goin' on up!

Thanks Andy, is it the video standards going up or the length of the video's getting longer! :D

Did I hear you mention it wont be done this year?? I'm not sure I cant wait that long Ian :grin: !

Lookin good as always!

Mike...........

Ta muchly Mike. Yep there is a very good chance this beast won't be fully finished this year with another house move on the cards. The move may well happen sooner rather than later, were even heading off to look at 2 places this afternoon..

If we can find a place with a workshop space already built then getting started back on this project won't take too long.. If not were going to have to move my workshack yet again..

At least were getting quite good at it now :D

After lot's of head scratching for quite a few months I have finally found a way of fitting an air cleaner under the hood.. Well almost.. the filter case needs to be "tweaked" in a bit to clear the oil filler cap, but at least there is plenty of clearance between the air cleaner and the hood

TSS1036.jpg

Do you need the pipe nipple? :scratchead: If not take it out and use a pipe plug. :dunno:

I have been thinking about doing just as you say, the remains of a KT-17 engine I bough for spares even has the correct size filler plug to fit.. I'm just a bit wary of risking getting contaminants into what is a "new" engine.. I need to think more about it..

Love watching your work Lan! Well you shouldn't have any problems with traction, that thing must weigh a ton, plus 6 wheel drive! :scared-eek: The word that comes to mind is UNSTOPABLE! Great pics and vidio. :thumbs:

Matt

Thank Latt :P , traction should not be a problem I just hope it's not heavy it sinks :laughing-rofl: I hope it's only "unstoppable" when there is someone driving it, even though it's top speed won't top 5mph it could still do a lot of damage if it shot off on it's own!!

Hhhmm.. As much as I don't like them fitting a seat cut-out switch could be a wise move.

Ian, have you considered changing the name of your youtube channel to WH TV?

Tune in next week, same WH time...same WH channel.

Interesting thinking Craig, can you change MooTube channel names :scratchead:

As "kinda" predicted in my last update bleeding the steering brakes has been a right pain in the 'orse, all the brake lines are rather long and very empty of fluid!

Pat of the problem I discovered was my brake stopper bracket thingy, I hadn't allowed to sliding rod things enough space to.. er.. slide.

Here's the offending thingy.

TSS1038.jpg

Now with longer slots and even a quick coat of paint.

TSS1039.jpg

Another one of those little jobs to do was to sort out the crank case oil breather pipe. As this fed into the original air filter I thought it would be wise to do the same thing with the Raider style air filter now fitted.

TSS1040.jpg

A start has been made on one of the foot plate, well half of it! Due to the position of the brake splitter thingy the plan was to give the foot plates a "step up" at the back.. Looking at these photo's I'm quite so sure now.. If I can move the brake line splitter about 1 inch down then I should be able to get the foot plate at the same level from front to back.

TSS1042.jpg

Looking down the left side of the outrigger both drive belt tensioners have been fitted, getting the bearing on the shafts was er.. fun.. But got there in the end.

TSS1043.jpg

Last photo for this update, the front left side axle has had it's final bit of work, a hole drilled to fit a split pin. Once the middle axle is done the wheels, outrigger and pulleys can be fitted and at long last I can measure up what size drive belts I need and get them (along with a longer engine to trans belt) ordered. I will then have everything needed to get this machine rolling under it's own power.

TSS1041.jpg

That's all for now folks, I hope to have at least one side sitting on it's wheels tomorrow... Yep, not long now ...

Well, almost all.. Here's the latest build vid from Wheel Horse TV my MooTube channel... Enjoy.

Stigian

Afternoon all, just a quick update on today's progress..

First on the hit list today was to get the air cleaner/oil filter problem sorted.. Again!! Although I had modified the air clean to fit around the oil filler cap I was never happy with how it looked.

It looked like someone had hit the air cleaner a lot with a hammer to make the clearance needed, because that's just what I did :hide:

So to sort out my shameful mistake the KT-17 engine donated it's oil filler bung/cap to this project and the air cleaner was replaced with a standard shape non beaten up top cover thingy.

Pete thinks we made the right move :thumbs:

TSS1044.jpg

Me showing Pete that you can reach the belt tensioner thingy by sticking your arm down the outrigger without getting it stuck :eek:

TSS1045.jpg

On goes the front left side axle..

TSS1046.jpg

And after a break for lunch and a coffee the left side wheels and outrigger went back on..

TSS1047.jpg

Of course the hood, fender pan and seat had to be plonked on.. Just to have a look sort of thing :thumbs2:

TSS1048.jpg

TSS1050.jpg

Test drive time is so close now, I can almost taste it :woohoo: :party:

bowtiebutler956

That's very exciting Lan, I'm ready to see that thing in action!!! :woohoo:

Matt :flags-texas:

fabricator2009

Looking great Ian.

Jake Kuhn

Its looking good! looking forward to seeing you drive it. Jake