Stigian

Introducing the Stig Special

Sparky

Incredible work Ian, and some great narration to boot!

Keep it coming.

Mike........

• Like 1

Stigian

well ian she sure is coming along,i got to hand it to ya making your own pulley is devoted,thats quite a slab of steel you have there,and i like how you use the lathe instead of buying things,really a great build you got going here

Thanks Don, I'm not sure if making my own pulley is "devoted" or should I be locked up in a padded cell for doing it?? :eusa-whistle:

That slab of steel has shrunk quite a bit over the past couple of years (but it's still very heavy) having made two wheel hubs, ten (11 if you count the cocked up one) bearing blocks and a pulley out of it so far.. I dread to think how many cutting discs I've used up on it!!

With the engine having a tappered shaft the chances of being able to find the correct size pulley that would fit the shaft are slim to no chance, plus as I've decided to fit the WH PTO parts making my own pulley was the only option really..

Stigian

Incredible work Ian, and some great narration to boot!

Keep it coming.

Mike........

Thanks Mike, happy you like my ramblings :thumbs:

Well, I had planned to get back on last night and continue with the updates, but the internet decided to cut in and out and give pre dial-up speeds!!

It's still not great so I'd better get this update done while the net is still working!

Last time I left you with a nice clean KT-17 engine punting plate thingy.. Well here it is in it's new home under the M-20.

TSS839.jpg

The KT has also kindly donated a few more parts to this project, like a more agricultral look exhaust fannymould, it's a bigger bore than the system that came with the engine so should sound better once connected to a "stack" with flapper thingy on top :D

TSS838.jpg

The carb linkages are going to come in handy as well.

TSS840.jpg

As will the er.. :thingy: from the end of the KT's carb.

TSS841.jpg

It will bolt up to the M-20's carb and allow me to bolt on a "Raider style" air cleaner.

TSS842.jpg

The KT-17 is looking a bit sorry for itself now..

TSS844.jpg

Stigian

The next day dawned...er... Bloody cold!!

TSS845.jpg

So being the "hard as nails, don't feel the cold" kinda chap that I am, I thought I'd tidy the bench.. Which just happened to be next to the wood burner :eusa-whistle::D

TSS846.jpg

A clean bench was handy as the PTO bearing I ordered turned up in the post.

TSS847.jpg

Now the part I was dreading but expecting, checking the bearing fit on part of the pulley/PTO thingy I am making..

Well, the bearing fitted but as I feared I had machined it a fraction too small and the bearing had a loose fit!!

Oh well, these things happen and it will teach me not to do lathe work when I'm not feel to good and have no concentration!!

TSS848.jpg

But there was a small glimmer of hope.. I might just have the space to be able to turn the shaft thingy a bit more and make it smaller then shrink fit this hardened Wh PTO bit onto it..

TSS849.jpg

So after some careful measuring/scribbling/drinking coffee..

TSS850.jpg

Some holding bit's up having a look/measuring..

TSS851.jpg

And even more drinking coffee/measuring/scribbling/drinking coffee plus a bit of :scratchead: ing for good measure.. The answer was no!!

TSS852.jpg

Best make a new one then.. A bit of digging came up with this steel bar that was the right diameter..

TSS853.jpg

And more than long enough..

I could not work out why I had not used it first time around :scratchead:

TSS854.jpg

It was soon clamped in the power hacksaw thingy.. Get the cooling fluid flow... Turn the cutter on... Er... Why does it sound like the blade has no teeth???

Having checked the blade for teeth and found as many left as one would expect for it's age and lifestyle, I wondered had the steel bar been hardened..

A quick hammer and punch test showed it was very hard indeed!!

So under the cutter went a bigger bar, but one I knew I could cut and turn.

TSS855.jpg

And here it is looking through the video camera..

TSS856.jpg

My hands are cold, be a mo, I need to make a coffee!

Stigian

Ahhhh... Coffee.. a bit to hot to drink at the mo, but great for warming the hands up :thumbs:

Almost got this thread up to date now!

Yesterday dawned... Well, much warmer 10'c at 10.30am which although not "warm" on the grand scale of things, was certainly warmer than the morning before!

Back to the lathe then. The blue paint on the end was to help me mark out the center of the bar.

Cleaning the bar up. Due to a slightly changed design I don't have to machine off as much metal as my first attempt at making this bit..

The bad news is it means I need to remove some more material from the pulley part!

TSS857.jpg

Drilling a hole through the center took quite a while to do!

If your wondering why I have left a raised blue bit.........

TSS858.jpg

It's so I can accurately drill out the PTO plate bolt holes.... Even though the plate won't be bolted on this side..

TSS859.jpg

Then the postman arrived bearing gifts in the for of new cutting tips..

TSS860.jpg

My joy of being able to make nice cuts on the lathe was cut short by a squeal of a belt as the lathe for reason decided to lock solid!!! :no:

TSS861.jpg

A quick run through the "check list" later..

Oil in pots? - Yes

Is the end stock thingy too tight? - No

Is the motor turning? - Yes

Is the pulley thingy at the back still turning? - Yes...

Is anything getting hot? - No

After a sit down with a coffee and a smoke for a think, I feared the worst, locked the shack up and walked away... Sometimes walking away is the best thing to do..

This morning I was determined to find out what the problem with the lathe, so armed with a coffee but still fearing the worst In I dived..

First things first, remove the piece I'm turning from the chuck.. HHmm, still quite a way to go yet..

TSS862.jpg

So off came the safety covers and after lot's of prodding, twiddling, a bit of oil (not that it was dry) and some fiddling it started turning again :wicked:

I've no idea what I did to fix it or indeed why it did what it did in the first place, but after a tad of belt tightening and checking all of the bolts that bolt the lathe to the bench, it was all systems go :woohoo:

To celebrate have a the best action shot I could manage.. This was the best out of 7 attempts, it's not great but it does have a bit of swarf flying!!

TSS864.jpg

By lunch time my back had had enough of standing in front of the lathe, but at least I had managed to remove quite a bit of material today.

TSS865.jpg

And that Folk's is this build up to date.

Thank you all for taking the time to read my strange ramblings :thumbs2:

meadowfield

yeah still loving the updates Ian.

your swarf and scrap pile must be quite substantial by now !

mark

Stigian

I don't have much of a scrap pile these days Mark, no where to keep it really..

All the swarf goes in the bin with the rubbish..

I didn't know that was you on YouTube by the way!!, thanks for subscribing :thumbs:

meadowfield

Ahh, been following you for some time :)

Arpeggi8 is my alter ego... I'm into rallying, building analogue synthesisers and anything else geeky !

• Like 1

Martin

really enjoy catching up on your build ian. its been a while since i checked it out and like always, a very good read........looking forward to seeing your progress.

Jake Kuhn

Looks great! :handgestures-thumbup:

Stigian

Ahh, been following you for some time :)

Arpeggi8 is my alter ego... I'm into rallying, building analogue synthesisers and anything else geeky !

Been stalking me eh mark? :ychain:

Your nun video is er.. fun.. made me laugh :)

When are you going to post up some Wh vid's?

really enjoy catching up on your build ian. its been a while since i checked it out and like always, a very good read........looking forward to seeing your progress.

Thanks Martin, glad you enjoy my ramblings.

A bit more progress for you to enjoy on this update :)

Looks great! :handgestures-thumbup:

Ta Muchly Jake :thumbs:

Were starting this update logically enough about where we left off last time.. Yep at the lathe..

Last time my tapered crank adapter thingy looked like this..

TSS865.jpg

A while later, it was down to it's new slim line size.

TSS866.jpg

Trim a bit of length off..

TSS867.jpg

Ta- Daa.. Old and new..

TSS868.jpg

A close up of the recess for the bolt head.

TSS869.jpg

The shaft needs a tickle on the lathe with some wet and dry to make it a perfect fit for the bearing, but that can wait until the taper is cut inside.

TSS870.jpg

Now with PTO clutch plate bolt holes.

TSS871.jpg

And on to one of those jobs I had kinda been putting off doing.. Cutting the taper inside to match the taper on the engine..

Although all my measuring, scribbling, drawing, maths, computer modeling, and :scratchead: ing showed that the tapered hole would fit inside the shaft thingy without cutting through..

And cutting a taper was just a case of working out the angle to cut and how deep to cut then setting up the lathe, I was still worried it could all go horribly wrong and nothing would fit as it I planned!!

Only one way to find out, best get on with it...

So, in went a big drill bit to make the hole larger..

TSS872.jpg

Macro on the camera came in handy for setting the cutting angle, it saved a lot of squinting :)

TSS873.jpg

A deep breath for the first few cuts..

TSS874.jpg

And a little while later we have a small taper..

TSS875.jpg

A test fit showed the angle of cut to be close but not quite enough angle for the two tapers to sit together right.

TSS876.jpg

A bit of a tweak and try again, almost right now..

TSS877.jpg

And then finally I hit the angle just right, 5.5 degrees it is.. Not to far out from my measurements which worked out at 5.3 degrees :)

TSS878.jpg

Some serious metal removal later and we are almost there..

By this point I was feeling a lot happier about how the taper cutting was going, but still wondering if it would fit right..

TSS879.jpg

A bit hard to see in this photo, (sorry) but here's the finished taper..

TSS881.jpg

So... Did it fit???

You best your 'orse it did :woohoo:

TSS882.jpg

The taper could do with being cut about 1/8" deeper just to get the shaft adapter thingy as close to the engine as planned, but it's such a good fit I'm in two minds about doing it or not..

We shall see..

TSS883.jpg

And that chap's is this build up to date again.

More to come as it happens..

meadowfield

Ian,

top stuff as always - remind me, is there a key to cut into the adapter? I can't remember... (old age and insomnia) :laughing-rofl:

re: stalking - hell yeah, I bugged your shop last time I came...

all I can hear is the swarf pile getting larger, lots of sharp intakes of breath and slurping of coffee :D

as far as vids go, I take thousands of pics, but not much video - might have to do a video diary of the GT-14 !

mark

Rollerman

Great update Ian!

You taper adapter thingy is a great piece of machining work. :wicked:

Sparky

As usual Ian, its a great update.

On a different note, this is the first time reading your thread with the new server host. Your build thread is chock full of pictures and its usually a bit of a wait to get all the pictures and whatnot to load but this time it was just a few seconds. I like that!

Mike...........

• Like 2

zieg72

I too notice how fast the pictures load and enjoy the updates

neil

I think congrats are due Ian on this thread with now well over 21,000 views , this is gonna be hard to beat by anyone . I was just wondering if there was a prize for the most read topic. and besides what looks to be an amazing project that you are building also what a great interesting read you have made this thread.

I am really amazed at peoples talents that we have in this Hobby & what lengths people go to to get such fantastic creations .

Great Job Ian & i hope to come and see it one day soon

Regards

Neil from Somerset

HorseFixer

Lan, thats a great Build! :thumbs: It never stops amazing me of the work you do. :bow-blue: I didn't see any beverages in this update which makes

me wondering if you might be slipping! :angry-nono: I prolly need to send over a few Qt's of the Duke's Apple Juice it also doubles for paint stripper. :ychain:

Cheers ~Duke

:beer:

COMMANDO6

Very nice! Just did a marathon read from the past month and I'm glad to see that you're making progress.

Stigian

Ian,

top stuff as always - remind me, is there a key to cut into the adapter? I can't remember... (old age and insomnia)

re: stalking - hell yeah, I bugged your shop last time I came...

all I can hear is the swarf pile getting larger, lots of sharp intakes of breath and slurping of coffee

as far as vids go, I take thousands of pics, but not much video - might have to do a video diary of the GT-14 !

mark

Hi Mark, any snow in your neck of the woods yet? You must of had some by now...

Nope the shaft on the engine is only tapered with no key way.. Quite glad after cutting so many of them on this project..

Feel free to come and "bug" the shack next time your down this way. :handgestures-thumbup:

The swarf has stopped piling up for now, run out of lathe work for a while.. Just as well really, my lathe is not keen on getting too cold and it has been rather cold of late!!

But the colder it is the more coffee gets slurped

Have you thought about stringing all your photos together to make a vid??

Great update Ian!

You taper adapter thingy is a great piece of machining work.

Thanks Stephen, I'm quite surprised at how well it came out. I was expecting to make that bit at least 3 times until I got it right.. In the end it took 2 attempts

As usual Ian, its a great update.

On a different note, this is the first time reading your thread with the new server host. Your build thread is chock full of pictures and its usually a bit of a wait to get all the pictures and whatnot to load but this time it was just a few seconds. I like that!

Mike...........

Hi Mike, yep I have to agree about the pic's loading a lot faster now, even with my very slow internet speed it's a lot faster :handgestures-thumbup:

I too notice how fast the pictures load and enjoy the updates

Thanks Zieg.

I think congrats are due Ian on this thread with now well over 21,000 views , this is gonna be hard to beat by anyone . I was just wondering if there was a prize for the most read topic. and besides what looks to be an amazing project that you are building also what a great interesting read you have made this thread.

I am really amazed at peoples talents that we have in this Hobby & what lengths people go to to get such fantastic creations .

Great Job Ian & i hope to come and see it one day soon

Regards

Neil from Somerset

Hi Neil, wow I'm blown away by your kind words, :text-thankyouyellow: Sir.

Lol, yep this thread certainly has had a lot of views, but it has been going on for more than a couple of years..

Yep, there certainly is a lot of talent in our hobby, there is some amazing machines (stock or otherwise) being built :handgestures-thumbup:

Your more than welcome to come and visit Neil, just give me a little bit of advanced warning..

Lan, thats a great Build! It never stops amazing me of the work you do. I didn't see any beverages in this update which makes me wondering if you might be slipping! I prolly need to send over a few Qt's of the Duke's Apple Juice it also doubles for paint stripper. Cheers ~Duke

Hey Duke, glad you like my build. Yeah some of the work is er.. interesting :)

Sorry, no sign of beverages in this update, but plenty of coffee was drunk out of camera..

Very nice! Just did a marathon read from the past month and I'm glad to see that you're making progress.

Thank you Sir, yep progress has been made and the "thingys to do to get it rolling under it's own power" list is getting much smaller :handgestures-thumbup:

Well, after all those great replies I only have a small update for you.. Small, but another milestone (for me anyway) has been passed.

Having got the center bit of this PTO/drive pulley adapter thingys almost sorted I needed to make it fit inside the pulley.

So back on the lathe the pulley went for a bit of boring out.

TSS884.jpg

To make up for my last attempt at an action shot.. Have a much better one :)

TSS885.jpg

With the pulley boring done, the center bit went back on the lathe for the bearing surface to be polished to a nice finish and to make the bearing fit perfectly.

Once polished it went to chill in the freezer for a few hours.

TSS886.jpg

Meanwhile the pulley part had been heating up on the wood burner..

TSS887.jpg

Until it was hot enough to boil spit, then the center section came out of the cold and introduced to the middle of the pulley.

It popped in a treat and was left to cool.. For quite a while!!

TSS888.jpg

Quite a while later.... The 2 parts had become 1, so i tuned it over to check the fit between the 2 parts.. You might say I'm rather happy :)

TSS889.jpg

Only one thingy left to do... Bolt it on the engine..

TSS890.jpg

Then the final touch and the reason for this machining challenge... The PTO cone...

TSS891.jpg

You might say I'm a bit chuffed :)

Sparky

Congrats on getting it to fit and line up like you did!

What would the PTO be able to run? Obviuosly not a mowing deck with all those wheels :grin: . Is it to run a hydraulic pump?

Mike...........

wheeledhorseman

Another milestone on this epic journey - you should indeed be well chuffed! :dance:

What with this AND getting out to plow some snow!

Re possible attachments for the PTO, how about a mine clearance flail - the six wheeler could then have potential military use.

Andy

Stigian

Congrats on getting it to fit and line up like you did!

What would the PTO be able to run? Obviuosly not a mowing deck with all those wheels :grin: . Is it to run a hydraulic pump?

Mike...........

Thanks Mike, your right the PTO is for running a hydraulic pump.. Well, a big dozer blade up front will need something to lift it :)

But that's way off in the future, but I needed to get the PTO sorted at the same time as the drive pulley on the engine..

Another milestone on this epic journey - you should indeed be well chuffed! :dance:

What with this AND getting out to plow some snow!

Re possible attachments for the PTO, how about a mine clearance flail - the six wheeler could then have potential military use.

Andy

Thanks Andy, yep it certainly is another milestone passed..

Clearing the snow was fun but, I have really been struggling with the cold this year, so I'm kinda glad the weather will be starting to warm up today.. almost out of fire wood for the wood burner as well :rolleyes:

A mine clearance flail thingy could be an interesting idea... Not sure how much use it would get out here in rural Kent though.

It's been a quiet week in the shack, I've been a little lacking in energy, maybe it was all the snow fun that has drained me :confusion-shrug:

Anyway, with the pulley/PTO thingy now sorted I could think about mounting the engine. To help line the pulleys up the cooling fan had to come off the trans, an old drive belt and G-clamp came in handy for stopping the pump pulley rotating..

TSS892.jpg

Lot's of looking, measuring, tweaking later the engine cradle thingy was clamped to the chassis in the right spot.

TSS893.jpg

The carb needed to come off the engine for a bit of freeing up (it has been standing a while), here it is with the KT-17's carb behind.. A few differences!!

TSS895.jpg

Two is not much of a party so the carb off a Magnum 18 was invited so they can compare vital statistics :)

TSS894.jpg

Inside the M20's carb was nice and clean.. Not sure the needle should be bent though!!

TSS896.jpg

Out of interest I cracked open the M18's carb and found a spring in the float bowl!!

TSS897.jpg

Yep.. A spring!! It's the first time I have ever seen carb with a spring holding up the float, maybe it's something to do with the M18 engine coming from an Argocat :confusion-shrug:

TSS898.jpg

I had a play with getting a "Raider style" air cleaner on the engine, if I modify the top of the cleaner it could be made to work..

TSS899.jpg

Not much space under the hood though!!

TSS900.jpg

Maybe I should think about a "side saddle-ish" mounted air cleaner? Still thinking on quite what to do..

TSS901.jpg

While on the subject of the engine, I'm wondering how to wire it in..

It has three wires coming off it, the thick wire goes to the starter motor..

TSS902.jpg

The other two plug in here.. Any idea's guy's?

TSS903.jpg

Back to getting the engine bolted down.. The mounting plate was tack welded to the chassis so I could unbolt the engine and drill a few bolt mounting holes through the plate and chassis.

One more to go in this photo.

The bolts will be replaced by some bigger ones when I get some.

TSS904.jpg

Some trimming of the mounting plate had it looking a lot neater.

TSS906.jpg

TSS907.jpg

The final photo for this update, although the throttle butterfly freed up quite easily the choke butterfly refused to budge, so I hung it above the wood burner to give it some gentle heat..

I will find out tomorrow if this trick has worked or not..

TSS905.jpg

neil

Im curious to know Ian & im not sure if it has been previously asked .

When this tractor has been built , How do you intend to paint it ?

Will it be stripped down again and painted or will you leave it as built ?

And i would love to pop down to the Shack one day to have a look at the Beast.

Anglo Traction

Your Engine has it's own 15Amp Regulator/Rectifier. It's on the top of the Blower Housing.

In your 12th Pic, the connector look's like there is a wire entering it from the left. If it does, I reckon it's from the B+ (centre) pin of the R/R.

I Can't remember if you said the Engine was from a Stump Grinder or something. So you may only need the 1 wire to go to your Ign Switch, then work to the Wiring diagram for your (original donor) Tractor.

You can check it by undoing the 2 bolts and looking at the R/R connection where it should have a flat 3 pin Connector Block. The 2 outer wires are the AC from the Stator and the middle one is DC B+ .

Not familiar with these Motors. I'm sure someone will be along to put you right (and me right or wrong).

If that R/R is found not to be working , I have a spare. or you can remove it and keep the original Tractor one and just extend the wiring to it. .........Looking Good for a Runner Soon !.

Regards

farmer

Good to see another update Ian,

I imagine the first video of your machine 'unleashed' will be eagerly awaited by many, myself included. :)

Re your air cleaner, why not do what the big boys do, I know its only a pre cleaner on my example, but I can't see why it wouldn't work for you. :thumbs:

tractor020.jpg