Stigian

Introducing the Stig Special

Stigian

Ian,

Great looking tranny, cant wait for the posting! Cheers and Happy Christmas and Boxing Day!

Don V

Thanks Don, yeah the trans does look quite good, nice clean oil in it as well.

You have a good "silly season" as well :thumbs:

I didn't take many photos of the master cylinder frame in construction :hide: but I did manage a few.

Those with a good long term memory might remember this frame from my 1st and oversized attempt at this 6x6 build lark. It was the frame I built to hold the cooling radiator up!

Knew those lengths of box would come in handy some day :)

TSS755.jpg

Throw in a strange shape bit of steel about to be cut from this dash remains..

TSS756.jpg

And a couple of levers..

TSS754.jpg

Ta-Daa a couple of mounted cylinders :thumbs2:

TSS758.jpg

That's all for now Chaps more to come later if time permits, I'm being called from the pc to do the "seasonal thing" :rolleyes:

Jake Kuhn

Looking good! :handgestures-thumbup:

Rollerman

Thanks for the update Ian, allways good to see new updates & also to see your 6x6 is getting closer to moveing under it's own power.

AMC RULES

Ahh Ian, always worrying about the aesthetics. :text-merryxmas: Looks even more amazing with every update.

Don1977

Thanks for the update! Stigian

I still haven't got an engine for my project.

Stigian

Looking good! :handgestures-thumbup:

Thanks Jake.

Thanks for the update Ian, allways good to see new updates & also to see your 6x6 is getting closer to moveing under it's own power.

Ta-muchly Stephen :thumbs: Yeah it's getting there slowly, almost got the steering brakes sorted now, it will be good to move on to another part of the build.

Ahh Ian, always worrying about the aesthetics. :text-merryxmas: Looks even more amazing with every update.

Thanks Craig, it just made sense to change the stoppers while the other ones were off.

Thanks for the update! Stigian

I still haven't got an engine for my project.

Your welcome Don, in fact have another update :grin:

I'm sure an engine will turn up for your project, just keep looking :thumbs:

So having got the cylinders mounted I pulled it apart again so I could clean up cylinder mounting frame and give it a quick protective coating of paint.

Having run out of aerosol red oxide it got a nice coating of Fiat metallic blue!

TSS759.jpg

Once dry it got bolted back in.

TSS760.jpg

These slider brake lever thingys need stoppers inside not only to stop them being pulled out to far (should over braking "Panicing" happen) but also to stop the slider rod things from turning.

TSS761.jpg

To get the correct measurements on the rods meant plumbing the brakes in one side and getting a bit of pressure in them.

So off came the top to get easy access to the rear of the cylinders.

TSS762.jpg

This also gives me a chance to work out the pipe routing.

Plenty of space to run the brake pipes :thumbs:

TSS763.jpg

Outside the frame running down inside the hood stand worked the best.

TSS764.jpg

Down the the splitter mounted below "foot level".

TSS765.jpg

And off to the calipers.

TSS766.jpg

Bleeding all the air out of an empty brake system took ages but got there in the end.

Now the hard part... Trying to drill and tap a hole into the side of a hardened axle!!

So hard in fact that my drill bits would not touch it, even clamping it in the lathe and attacking it will a milling bit only produced a small mark!!

Hhmm... A coffee, a smoke and a bit of thinking was needed..

TSS767.jpg

As these sliders need to be removable I can't weld the stoppers on, I can't drill through the side of it, and the only place I can bolt anything onto them is where the adjusters are!!

So there I was, coffee in hand leaning on the bench vice looking at the problem and looking at the key ways that were already cut in the axles sliders..

Hhmmm... I feel a solution coming on.....

TSS770.jpg

But your going to have to wait a little while, I need to get dinner cooking...

varosd

Ian,

It's almost like a old 1940's movie cliffhanger as we await the solution/update to a setback/conundrum that you encounter! Great editing in regards to the photos! Will this beast make it through the door?

Stigian

Ian,

It's almost like a old 1940's movie cliffhanger as we await the solution/update to a setback/conundrum that you encounter! Great editing in regards to the photos! Will this beast make it through the door?

Lol, I know I'm "old in my ways" (well that's what my Wife keeps telling me) but I didn't think I stretched all the way back to the 40's :)

Yep the beast will fit through the door, it has done already during the summer in rolling chassis form.

It's got a little longer since then but no wider.

The solution came in the form of the remains of a front wheel..

TSS768.jpg

Or to be a tad more accurate these strange bush thingys that came out the wheel.. And Yippie a quick test drill showed I could drill into them :dance:

TSS769.jpg

One flange trimmed off.

TSS771.jpg

A bit of very careful slot cutting and a bit of key steel slots in a treat it just needs welding up :thumbs:

TSS772.jpg

With the key welded in a large washer needed to be welded on.

TSS773.jpg

Welded..... Ok, maybe not the tidiest of welding but welded..

TSS774.jpg

A view from the inside.

TSS775.jpg

And finally bolted on the end of the slider thingy.. It won't turn on the shaft and I can drill into it to make the stopper guide thingys..

A lot of farting about because I couldn't drill one hole, but sometimes the extra work has to be done.

TSS776.jpg

And that chaps is this build thread up to date :thumbs:

varosd

Yep the beast will fit through the door, it has done already during the summer in rolling chassis form.

But instead of cutting a hole in the wall, perhaps you might have to "add onto" the workshop! :D I can't wait until final fireup and you have to get " in action" pictures ...how property are you on?

massey

Looking good Ian, looking good.

Stigian

But instead of cutting a hole in the wall, perhaps you might have to "add onto" the workshop! :D I can't wait until final fireup and you have to get " in action" pictures ...how property are you on?

I'd love to "add onto" the workshop, I'm not sure my landlord would be so keen though, it was a hell of a battle to get them to agree to me building a workshack in the first place!!!

The first fire-up and drive will be a sweet moment, can't wait for that day :D

Looking good Ian, looking good.

Thanks Massey, it's not up to the standards of your fine tracked beast, it's more of a "rough and ready" kinda looking good.

Righto chap's it's time for a small update.

Having spent a lot of time farting about making a couple thingys I could drill into for the ends of the sliders, I drilled and taped them.

TSS777.jpg

My metal stash is getting a bit low at the mo, so rather than cutting up my last bit of angle (which is coming in handy for all sorts of clamping uses at the mo), I cut up some box to make some more angle.

TSS778.jpg

This should give you an idea on how I plan to stop the sliders rotating, the grey steel just needs a couple of slots cut in to it.

TSS779.jpg

A bit of clamping for welding action.

TSS780.jpg

One slot done. The idea is I will find something that's slightly faster wearing than the steel to make the er.. upright spacer thingys (The bit between the 2 washers). so I can just replace them when they wear and not the slots.

TSS781.jpg

Two done and bolted down, just a bit of finishing work to do.

TSS782.jpg

Having done that bit of finishing work there was really only one (well two of them) part left to build for the brake steering system.....

Yep the control levers :)

Starting with four bits of bar...

TSS783.jpg

Throw in a couple of longer bits of bar, a tad of welding and thus I had created a pair of motorcycle bars!.... Er...... :scratchead:

TSS784.jpg

Best try again :D

That looks better..

TSS785.jpg

And to finish this update, a tantalizing glimpse of what one of the steering levers will look like in place..

They will need a little trimming in height but I can't tell by how much until I'm able to plonk a seat on the machine and sit with the levers in my hands..

The ceiling a a little too low for that at the mo :D

TSS786.jpg

Ole MN

Ian,

Lets hope in the new year, the fabircating gods will continue to be on your side. I have mixed feelings about your finshing this build. As I enjoy following this and your great commentary.

As always thanks for the update.

Stigian

Ian,

Lets hope in the new year, the fabircating gods will continue to be on your side. I have mixed feelings about your finshing this build. As I enjoy following this and your great commentary.

As always thanks for the update.

Hi Brad, you don't have to worry about this build finishing any time soon, lot's of work to do on it yet plus a house move sometime in the next 6 months will slow the build down a bit.

Another small update for you chap's, the first steering lever thingy tack welded on.

TSS787.jpg

The second lever needed a slight sliver slicing off, quite proud of this cut :handgestures-thumbup:

TSS788.jpg

Rob taking the bench for a test drive :D

TSS789.jpg

Ta-Daa now with steering... Well almost..

TSS793.jpg

That vintage look...

TSS792.jpg

And after a clean up of the welds and a splash of protective paint.. Don't worry, they won't be staying blue.

TSS795.jpg

And that is about all I can do on the brake steering system until I get a couple of matching brake fluid reservoirs and another brake hose..

So the time had come to make a start on a job I've been putting off.... Making a drive pulley for the engine!!!

The lathe work is cool, I'm quite looking forward to a bit of relaxing sitting at the lathe time...

It's the cutting of a square from this slab I wasn't looking forward too....

TSS796.jpg

Not being able to put the job off any longer out came the grinder for a long days cutting.

Half way through one side..

TSS797.jpg

Joining the cuts from each side the old fashioned way!! Lot's of cursing and creaking of back at this stage!!

TSS799.jpg

With the aid of a big hammer off the square came off. :party:

TSS800.jpg

To celebrate getting a horrible job done I made a coffee :)

TSS801.jpg

And then cut the corners off the square, leaving it ready to go on the lathe..

TSS802.jpg

AMC RULES

Such Hurculean efforts! :bow-blue: Nothing short of an inspiration you are Ian. :music-rockout:

Living proof, where there's a will, there is a way. :flags-wavegreatbritain:

meadowfield

Such Hurculean efforts! :bow-blue: Nothing short of an inspiration you are Ian. :music-rockout:

similar to what I was thinking....

"where there's a wheel horse, there is a nutcase cleaning/painting/welding/turning/polishing/pulling/pushing/ploughing" *

Awesome work still Ian, I'm almost in my new workshop - so I'll be able to curb my jealousy and join the nutcase fraternity :)

mark

*tick as applicable

massey

Sorry to hear this will need to be put on hold as you move again Ian. I always enjoy your updates and and commentary and the b/w photo is a nice touch. I'm liking those levers.

shootinok

Oh, how I wish for those fabrication skills you have....

6603961663_34b1b4d179.jpg

enough to make a grown man cry

:bow-blue: :)

zieg72

All I can say is well done so far... And to do it all with that with that horrible condition that effects your mobility. To all who haven't viewed his YouTube updates I encourage you to sign up and see them. I am impressed with Ian's accomplishments and his wonderful outlook and attitude.

Kelly

I really enjoy reading your threads, I wait a week or two before reading them, that way I have a bit to read and get right into it, then I'm at the end, wanting more.

JimD

Ian, I always enjoy your updates to this build. Understanding more about the effort required by you to do what you have done here truly humbles me. You are an inspiration to me. Thank you.

massey

Looking forward to your next update also Ian but take your time there, we'll still be here. Hope all is well.

Stigian

Thanks Craig, if I'm inspiring people to have "a go" at building something or trying new things then I'm very cool with that.

Don't be scared folks, have a go :thumbs:

similar to what I was thinking....

"where there's a wheel horse, there is a nutcase cleaning/painting/welding/turning/polishing/pulling/pushing/ploughing" *

Awesome work still Ian, I'm almost in my new workshop - so I'll be able to curb my jealousy and join the nutcase fraternity :)

mark

*tick as applicable

Cheers Mark. That's good news about your workshop, I bet you can't wait to get cracking on with a mad project.

Sorry to hear this will need to be put on hold as you move again Ian. I always enjoy your updates and and commentary and the b/w photo is a nice touch. I'm liking those levers.

Another house move has kinda been on the cards for a while, we don't want to move again but this place is costing stupid amounts each month!!

Glad you enjoy my undates, your crawler project makes for a really good read :thumbs:

That photo was taken with black and white in mind, think I must of been sqwinting or looking through smoke at the time!

The levers still need a bit of work to get them sitting right, but I do have a plan for sorting them out.

Oh, how I wish for those fabrication skills you have....

6603961663_34b1b4d179.jpg

enough to make a grown man cry

:bow-blue::)

Lol, I'm self taught at this fabrication marlarkry.. You could be too... Give it a whirl!!

Oh, too much crying make your Wh's rust :ychain:

All I can say is well done so far... And to do it all with that with that horrible condition that effects your mobility. To all who haven't viewed his YouTube updates I encourage you to sign up and see them. I am impressed with Ian's accomplishments and his wonderful outlook and attitude.

Very kind words Zieg, thank you.. Yes the Dystonia can be a right pain.. (well, everywhere at times as the constant shaking is wearing all my joints out) at times. but battle through it I must.

My outlook and attitude is down to one thing.. Choice.

Once I'd got the "all upset about it/what is happening to me?" bit out the way, I decided I had three choices about what I could do with my life..

1 - Sit in front of the TV all day and slowly turn into a vegtable...

2 - Climb into a bottle...

3 - Stick 2 fingers (sometimes 3 or 4 if my hands are not doing what I'm asking them to) up at the Dystonia and do something that keeps me active and my brain working..

Number one is out as sitting for too long kills my back, day time TV is rubbish, and I've never been one for sitting about doing nothing anyway..

Number two is out as I did the "drinking way way to much thing" years ago and it's not somewhere I'm keen to return to.... I'm too old for hang overs which I've never enjoyed anyway..

Which for me (and for everyone else I hope) leaves only one option... A fun creative way of spending my time.

I really enjoy reading your threads, I wait a week or two before reading them, that way I have a bit to read and get right into it, then I'm at the end, wanting more.

Hey Kelly, your week or two waiting is nearly up, quite a big update coming up..

Ian, I always enjoy your updates to this build. Understanding more about the effort required by you to do what you have done here truly humbles me. You are an inspiration to me. Thank you.

Thank you Jim, sometimes the "effort" is a bit hard to muster up, but the enthusiasm is never lacking.

I feel humbled that I have inspired you.. Thank you.

Oh, I've not forgotten about a reply to your PM, it will get to you.

Looking forward to your next update also Ian but take your time there, we'll still be here. Hope all is well.

Ta-muchly Massey, the next update is here.

I've been a bit quiet partly due to feeling a bit rough, and partly because all the lathe work I have been doing has been very slow it wouldn't of made for much of an update.

Almost ready for an update now, but first...

I can't believe this thread has had over 20000 views!!!!

I am truly humbled that you all enjoy reading this thread so much..

Thanks Guy's, it means a lot to me :thumbs:

Stigian

At the end of my last update I left you with a square-ish slab of steel with the corners cut off, time to get it on the lathe..

First up is a bit of "whirly hole drilling" action..

TSS803.jpg

Followed by facing off one side and rounding off some corners.

TSS804.jpg

One side looking a whole lot more circular.

TSS805.jpg

Time to make that hole a bit bigger.

You can also see that flat face is no longer flat any more. This is the side the PTO clutch plate will bolt onto, the 71 Raider clutch plate I am thinking of using has the friction material held on with rivets, the recess is to give space for the back of the rivets allowing the clutch plate to sit flat on the pulley.

TSS806.jpg

One side of beauty..

TSS809.jpg

One side of ugly!!

TSS808.jpg

But not ugly for long.. That looks better :thumbs:

TSS811.jpg

A quick trial fit.. It's not as big as the photo makes it look!

TSS812.jpg

Time to get "in the groove" man!! :dance:

TSS813.jpg

A bit at a time..

TSS814.jpg

Having a KT-17 engine with a hydro size pulley on the bench came in handy for taking measurments :)

TSS815.jpg

Almost done groovin' :music-rockout:

TSS816.jpg

And finishing off with a little bit of weight loss on the PTO side of the pulley.

TSS818.jpg

Old and new together..

TSS819.jpg

To celebrate finishing the pulley I filled the Workshack up with sepia coloured steam while making a coffee :D

TSS820.jpg

While my cup of coffine was cooling the new pulley was put on the engine just to see how it looked..

TSS821.jpg

And then given a quick coat of blue paint to help keep the rust away..

TSS822.jpg

Stigian

Having spent what felt like years standing in front of the lathe I though I'd have a break and have a play with the engine.

To get the engine sitting in the right place the exhaust and air cleaner had to come off..

Had a bit of a close call with a washer jumping down the exhaust port, luckly it came back out easy.... Phew!!

TSS823.jpg

A trial fit of the KT-17s air cleaner, it's a bit too bit to fit under the hood though..

Can you guess where one of the exhaust bolts ended up? :eusa-whistle:

TSS824.jpg

With the M20's air cleaner off I could get a good look at the carb, both the choke and throttle butterflys are stuck but I'd expect that kind of problem from an engine thats not been started in quite a while.

TSS825.jpg

A view from one side with the engine in almost the right place.

TSS826.jpg

And a view from the other side with pulley and PTO bit propped up.

TSS827.jpg

Do you think this Raider air cleaner will be able to flow enough air into this 20hp engine if I add a "KT-17 air cleaner style induction pipe" thingy?

TSS829.jpg

It was roughly at this point where I noticed a slightly er... big problem with mounting the engine where I want to...

Look at the what I would have to drill through!!

TSS831.jpg

Also with the belt guard placed roughly in place it looks like the engine needs to be raised a bit!

TSS832.jpg

So what I need is a steel plate that will bolt to the base of the M20 lump that can in turn be bolted down to the chassis..

And if it would raised the engine height a bit that would be perfect..

Que the KT-17 engine again... Which used to be rubber mounted when it was was in it's original home which happened to be a C-175

TSS833.jpg

Would you look at the mess!!

TSS834.jpg

With all that oiley gunk scrapped off A M18 case got plonked on the plate to see if the mounting holes lined up.. Thought they might and they did.

TSS835.jpg

Some elbow grease later and what a transfomation.. Who would of thought there would be such good paint hiding under all that gunk!!

TSS836.jpg

That's all for now folk's, There is loads more to come but I'm having trouble keeping my eyes open now...

Time for some "shut-eye" me thinks.

Night night..

can whlvr

well ian she sure is coming along,i got to hand it to ya making your own pulley is devoted,thats quite a slab of steel you have there,and i like how you use the lathe instead of buying things,really a great build you got going here