Stigian

Introducing the Stig Special

Stigian

Really enjoy watching your progress, always well worth the wait. Glad you're finally on the mend and feeling better. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Craig, sorry progress has been a tad slow of late, hopefully full steam ahead again very soon.

Hey Stig, Glad your feeling better! Tractor is coming along nicely. I envy your ability to fabricate on that lathe! The 3 point is going to be a great addition and the extra tank will certainly be handy for all the time I'm sure you'll be spending working with it.

Hey Rich, I'm glad I'm felling better as well :thumbs:

The tractor is coming along nicely, just not as fast as I'd like..

My lathe skills are mostly just luck, guesswork and a bit of measuring..

I'm just learning as I go..

That's not to say I don't make mistakes.... My latest er... cock-up will mean I have to redo quite a few hours of work!!

Welcome back Stig! Great progress, as always!!!

Ta-muchly Chris :thumbs2:

Hey, I'm glad to see you're feeling better.

Or at least feeling fine enough to be working again.

I've been reading this post for a couple months and I'm finding it fun and entertaining. I cant wait to see it done.

So what's the deal with the Raider 10?

Thanks, glad you enjoy my posts :banghead:

Ah, yes the Raider 10... Carry on reading and you shall find out :thanks:

Glad to see you're back at it again Ian. It seems you can never have too many clamps doesn't it?

Thanks Massey, the more clamps the better.. :banghead:

I'm thinking there might be a clue found in a certain YouTube "swap" video? Ring any bells?

You might well be right there Chris :ROTF:

You can find the 1974 Raider 10 story and video links in the link below.

1974 Raider engine swap link thingy.

After all those great comments (Thanks guy's :D ) I feel very guilty having not done anything much at all since my last update..

Sorting the Raider 10 has kept me busy else where for the past week!

So just three quite boring photo's for this update I'm afraid....

Pete and I stripped the chassis down to nothing and turned it around on the bench..

TSS555.jpg

The reason for turning the chassis around was so I can seam weld up the newly tacked on trans support rails..

And there was more space at that end of the bench :USA:

TSS556.jpg

Clamped up, down, side to side, and to the bench..

That should stop anything moving during welding :D

TSS557.jpg

Sorry once again for this naff update, I hope to have a much bigger one for you all next time :thumbs:

312Hydro

Looking at that frame I'll bet it's not light! You'll have a low center of gravity for sure! :thumbs2: Looks like it could be a wide body Wheel Horse!

COMMANDO6

So there was a discount on clamps at the hardware store... :thumbs2:

meadowfield

Ian,

great to drop by and meet you last night - it's an awesome machine and can't wait to see it running!

I'm already planning my new workshop and equipment purchases so I can play catch up with all my ideas... :banghead:

Thanks also for the bits I need to get my C-121 running.

cheers

mark

p.s. sat nav got me out and home ok - pity it didn't tell me about the hump bridge 1/4 mile down the road... all four wheels off the ground! :thumbs2:

Stigian

Looking at that frame I'll bet it's not light! You'll have a low center of gravity for sure! Looks like it could be a wide body Wheel Horse!

Your powers of sight have not failed you Rich, It's bloody heavy!

The general guess is this machine is going to weigh about 1 Ton, that's 2204 pounds or 1000000 grams if you like working in small measurements when it's finished.. :ROTF:

I've towed more weight in a trailer behind my 312-8 :thanks:

Wider it will be, but only by just over a 1 foot..

As for length.. It's getting longer every day!!

So there was a discount on clamps at the hardware store...

:banghead: It looks that way.. I think I'm up to 5 pairs and 2 odd clamps now.

You can never have too many clamps.

Ian,

great to drop by and meet you last night - it's an awesome machine and can't wait to see it running!

I'm already planning my new workshop and equipment purchases so I can play catch up with all my ideas...

Thanks also for the bits I need to get my C-121 running.

cheers

mark

p.s. sat nav got me out and home ok - pity it didn't tell me about the hump bridge 1/4 mile down the road... all four wheels off the ground!

Good to meet you too Mark, sorry the project only looked like a pile of steel with a trans bolted on, it's just at the stage (again) at the mo.

Why do I get the feeling your new workshop is going to be filled with all sorts of fun toys (sorry equipment) :D

Glad to help with the parts, was the cylinder head the right one?

Yes that hump bridge is quite a nasty one, and quite hard to see at night.

Glad your sat-naff got you home, you need to get a er.... slightly better one though..

You know what I mean :thumbs:

This won't quite be the big update I promised, but that's because I only have today's action and :thumbs2: ing to tell you about.

First job of the day was to get the trans bolted back on... Normally an easy job even with the extra steel that has been added to the chassis..

This time it was a right pain in the 'orse with lot of problems getting the bolts started!!

Here's Pete trying to get a bolt in while not getting his hand stuck..

TSS558.jpg

The big news of the day is a rather heavy parcel got delivered late yesterday..

More parts to play with :thumbs:

TSS559.jpg

Hhmm.. Not quite right me thinks..

TSS560.jpg

And with the lift arm linkage thingy.

TSS561.jpg

They say you never stop learning, and today has certainly been one of those learning kinda days..

You see this 3 point linkage lark is kinda new to me. Ive driven plenty of tractors over the years but I've never had to work out the mounts for one..

So most of the day has been spent looking, moving parts about, plenty of coffee's and a vast amount of :banghead: ing.

Looking better with the lower arms further back under the trans.

TSS562.jpg

Even though I knew the rear mounted gas tank would get the way of the 3 point, I had to put the tank in it's place just to see..

Looks like some of that space under the hood will be taken up with a new gas tank..

TSS563.jpg

Moving the top arm mount down a bit seems to work quite well, still going to need to slice a bit out the back of the fender pan though.

I'm not happy with the lower arm being mounted under the chassis, bit have worked out a way to mount them just behind but level with the axles..

Is this the way to go guys?

TSS564.jpg

A quick play question for you guy's.. While the Wh hydraulic ram works well, for the job it was designed for, I'm not quite sure it's up to the job of working a 3 point..

Should I be looking for a bigger ram?

To complicate matters the 3 point mounts need to double up as mounts for 2 brake calipers each side..

TSS566.jpg

Yep that's right, I did say 2 calipers per side...

I have always wondered if just one of these Kawasaki Gpz305 calipers each side would be enough to get it to steer, so when another pair came up on Fleabay for

COMMANDO6

My dad's got a 3 point on his Kubota 7100. It works well there because there's almost 3 feet from the bottom of the transmission and the fender. However, the lower two points are mounted below the axle too. I guess the guys at Kubota must have known what they were doing because it works. What will you be mounting to the hitch? If you use a rear plow or a rear mower, the middle arm won't have to be that high. But if you use a back-hoe or another tall thing, you would probably have to cut the fender.

Just something to chew on. Extra :thumbs2: ing.

sorekiwi

Its looking great Ian!!

I spent a while playing with some 3 point arms for my Loader project, and finally decided that once I put a weight box back there, I would never take it off, so it would really be a waste.

But I did kind of come up with a plan... My lower arms were going to mount onto the end of the subframe tubes, just behind and below the axle. Looks like you have two tubes there that would be perfect with a couple of ears welded onto each one. You want the lower arm mounts as low as possible and certainly no higher than the centre of the axles. With the mounts low, when you put a pulling load on them they will tend to pull the tractor down and help with traction. Arms mounted above the centreline would try to flip the tractor over backwards. Hope this makes sense.

Have a look at Kevins 3 point build on his Bronco: http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=741&hl=

He did some really cool engineering on his top link that raises it at the same time as it rotates up. Clever man for a Southerner! :thumbs2:

I dont know for sure, but I think the WH ram would work fine, especially if you get the leverages right.

A really cool project!

Don1977

Here is a Three point chart:

124353.jpg

I guess your doing a Cat 0. For the B dimension I think from 12" to 15" would be find.

You need to keep the top link and lower links close to parallel when hitched to the implement.

Stigian

My dad's got a 3 point on his Kubota 7100. It works well there because there's almost 3 feet from the bottom of the transmission and the fender. However, the lower two points are mounted below the axle too. I guess the guys at Kubota must have known what they were doing because it works. What will you be mounting to the hitch? If you use a rear plow or a rear mower, the middle arm won't have to be that high. But if you use a back-hoe or another tall thing, you would probably have to cut the fender.

Thanks for the extra :thumbs2::thanks:

Not sure what I will be mounting on it yet, a set of pallet forks could be handy, and it won't take much to widen my home made harrow/ripper to fit.

I quite fancy a heavy duty ripper, it would look good with a heavy duty dozer blade on the front :thumbs:

Its looking great Ian!!

I spent a while playing with some 3 point arms for my Loader project, and finally decided that once I put a weight box back there, I would never take it off, so it would really be a waste.

But I did kind of come up with a plan... My lower arms were going to mount onto the end of the subframe tubes, just behind and below the axle. Looks like you have two tubes there that would be perfect with a couple of ears welded onto each one. You want the lower arm mounts as low as possible and certainly no higher than the centre of the axles. With the mounts low, when you put a pulling load on them they will tend to pull the tractor down and help with traction. Arms mounted above the centreline would try to flip the tractor over backwards. Hope this makes sense.

Have a look at Kevins 3 point build on his Bronco: http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=741&hl=

He did some really cool engineering on his top link that raises it at the same time as it rotates up. Clever man for a Southerner! whtractor/not_worthy.gif

I dont know for sure, but I think the WH ram would work fine, especially if you get the leverages right.

Hi Mike, it looks like we came up with the same plan for mounting the lower arms (your see what I mean below), and yep those two tubes have come in handy.

I see what you mean about the arms need to be lower than the axle so the troctor won't try and lift it's front..

With the weight of this machine I don't think that's going to be a problem :banghead:

Ta muchly for the link to Kevin's 3 point build, it's certainly given me something to think about, and maybe change some of the work I have got done!!

I guess your doing a Cat 0. For the B dimension I think from 12" to 15" would be find.

You need to keep the top link and lower links close to parallel when hitched to the implement.

Thanks for the 3 point chart Don, very handy :banghead:

I've gone for a Cat 1 3 point linkage instead of a Cat 0..

Truth be known I saw the kit on ebay for a good price and went for it, I didn't know there was a Cat 0.... :D

At least the 3 point being slightly bigger will suit the er... slightly bigger WH :thumbs:

Stigian

Sorry for the lack of updates Guy's, what work I have got done has taken it's time, bit busy with trying to get the garden tidy in time for winter (which if the news stories are true, could start next month). I've also been quite engrossed in video editing...

About 50 hours work for a video that's just over 2 min's long!!!

Way too much time was spent just trying to work out how to mount this 3 point..

Changing my mind quite a bit hasn't helped much :thumbs2:

Finally with a plan worked out I started cutting metal before I could change my mind again :banghead:

Starting with a bit of box, a couple of clamps, and some careful measuring/marking.

You might have noticed a couple of cuts on the box.. They will come in handy a bit later.

TSS568.jpg

A couple more bit's cut to size. The square bit of box is actually double walled..

Well, I had some box that fitted just right inside the outer..

A bit of extra strength never hurts :banghead:

TSS569.jpg

The rectangular box found itself clamped onto the CUTS side of er... that strange shaped bit...

Things will become clearer!!

TSS570.jpg

The 3 point kit came with a couple of these very handy collar thingys..

TSS571.jpg

Weld them to each and of the double walled box and with the lower arm pivot rod thingy pushed through looks something like this..

TSS572.jpg

Out with the grinder, and off with the ends of the chassis rails..

TSS573.jpg

At this point it was quite late in the evening and wanting to get the lower arms mounted I was too busy to take photos...

Mounted!!!

TSS574.jpg

A close up.. You can see the cut-out for the rear hitch mount on the trans.

With a bit more strengthening and the ends of the chassis rails/bit of box, boxed in it should be plenty strong enough..

TSS575.jpg

That takes care of the lower arms, your have to wait a little while for the top arm as...

I need to get started with cooking dinner..

More soon.

Don1977

Cat 1 equipment will be easier to find, if it's too large I know you can cut it down to the right size.

Stigian

Dinner started so on with the story I will continue :thumbs:

The biggest problem with mounting the top link of the 3 point is, it all has to be removable to make getting the trans off and on the chassis easier.

Not having an engine hoist or any other power lifting methods (these Eatons are a heavy bit of kit) the only way for me to remove the trans is to slide it off the back of the chassis!

So.. Starting with another bit of box, a bit of time was spent grinding/filing down the join/weld line inside so...

TSS576.jpg

Yet another bit of box would be a nice tight fit inside..

Not this little bit of box though..

TSS577.jpg

But some cut from this long length which just so happened to have a collar welded on already :banghead:

TSS578.jpg

That kinda takes care of the upright, but what about the actual bit the top arm mounts onto...

Starting with..er.. this.. I think it used to have a longer bit of pipe and was being used to hold up a bench!

TSS579.jpg

Cut off 2 bits the right length, add a bit of masking tape, mark and chain drill a couple of holes.

TSS580.jpg

Add a few tack welds and the second bit of angle iron, then chain drill through the two finishing with a big hole in the centers.

TSS581.jpg

A quick bit of hack saw work followed by a cold chisel and hammer session.

TSS582.jpg

And a bit of finishing work with the die grinder..

TSS583.jpg

Split the 2 bits of angle, turn them the right way round and welded together..

:thumbs2: I can lay a decent weld again!!

TSS584.jpg

A quick clamp up to see how it looks..

Nice position, it just needs loads of strengthening..

After looking at Kevin's 3 point build this part need to be a lost stronger than I had first planned!

TSS585.jpg

It looks good from a distance though :thumbs:

TSS586.jpg

I wish I had a big enough Workshack to be able to take the photo's I want too..

This is as far out as I could "zoom"!!

A tire was thrown on to get an idea on how far the 3 point sticks out the back.

TSS587.jpg

Looks just right me thinks :banghead:

TSS588.jpg

One job I'm slowly getting done while waiting for welds to cool is to paint the chassis in rust oxide primer.. Winter is on the way and surface rust has started!!

TSS589.jpg

That's all for this update guy's, Ta muchly for taking the time to read my ramblings :D

wallfish

Awsome build Ian :thumbs2: I love it.

One thing I noticed, is when you have larger holes to drill, you use many smaller holes and shape them into the size you need. A bi-metal hole saw set would save you alot of time. Just keep it oiled, use low RPM and they stay sharp. This is just 1 supplier but I'm sure you could find them local and in metric sizes too.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Bi-Metal-H...ts-10-pc-/H0902

COMMANDO6

Thats some very nice fabrication work there, keep it up. I can't wait to see this thing done. :thumbs2:

71_Bronco

Excellent work Stigian, glad to hear you are feeling better and excited to see the recent progress. Keep up the good fight, and keep up the work, it will really pay off (not that I need to tell you that lol).

BTW, not that it is of any help now, but I finally got a chance to snap a few pics of my dad's Kabota 3-point hitch. I know you have it all laid out already, but if you want them, let me know.

As always, great work bud! :thumbs2:

fabricator2009

:thumbs2:

71_Bronco

With a bit of "bottled inspiration"...

P7220022.jpg

Sorry to go back to the beginning of the thread for this post, but would you mind telling us what those bottles are? They look really cool!

Stigian

One thing I noticed, is when you have larger holes to drill, you use many smaller holes and shape them into the size you need. A bi-metal hole saw set would save you alot of time. Just keep it oiled, use low RPM and they stay sharp. This is just 1 supplier but I'm sure you could find them local and in metric sizes too.

Hi John, thanks for that link..

I have looked into metal hole saws before, trouble is they tend to be a bit on the costly side over here.. It's money I'd rather be spending on hydraulics....

Thats some very nice fabrication work there, keep it up. I can't wait to see this thing done.

Thank you Commando6. I think it might be a while before it's done, but like you I can't wait for it to be done.

Excellent work Stigian, glad to hear you are feeling better and excited to see the recent progress. Keep up the good fight, and keep up the work, it will really pay off (not that I need to tell you that lol).

BTW, not that it is of any help now, but I finally got a chance to snap a few pics of my dad's Kabota 3-point hitch. I know you have it all laid out already, but if you want them, let me know.

As always, great work bud!

Ta muchly Mr Bronco :dunno:

My health is very up and down at the mo, one day I'm feeling not too bad, the next day my Dystonia say's "I'm going to make a shaky weak mess" for a day or two!!

It is getting very frustrating at times when all I want to do is to be out in the Shack having fun building things..

At least it gives more more "project thinking time" :wh:

Cheers for the offer of a few Kubota snaps, I think I have got it sorted now although things may change when I get a hydraulic ram/rams..

:help:

Thanks Fabricator..

Sorry to go back to the beginning of the thread for this post, but would you mind telling us what those bottles are? They look really cool!

You have a good eye for good beer my friend :thanks:

England-OldSpeckledHenAle.jpg

So, what's been happening on this project since my last update?

Well, much to my shame almost nothing has been done in almost a month :thanks:

In fact I didn't even touch this project until Thursday when I found the time to cap off the ends of the chassis rails..

TSS597.jpg

I also managed to get 85% of the chassis painted in brown oxide primer to keep the rust away over winter.

The weather is getting colder and rust is starting to form on any unpainted steel..

TSS598.jpg

Hhhmm.. bit of short update that one, so......

To give you some more reading material here's a few photos of what I have been up to over the past (almost) month..

The big bike battery that had been powering my 312-8 for the past few years finally died a while back, and I was starting to get fed up having to jump start it each time!

Being a "tight wad" rather than buy a new battery I decided to use the only good spare battery I had..

It is a bit too big to fit under the hood though :thanks:

TSS592.jpg

Lot's of cutting and welding later...

TSS593.jpg

A very heavy battery/weight box :)

TSS594.jpg

Now you may be wondering why I have not done a build thread on this box thingy...

Well.... (this is one of those deep breath, no turning back once I announce it to the world kinda moments..) You will get to see the build.. in video form!!

I thought I'd try something a bit different from the normal photos and do a build vid instead..

So why am I er.. nervous about it? In a change from my normal "larking about" vid's you will get to see me doing stuff and trying to explain things as I go along..

I'm not a natural at talking to the camera you see!!

Anyway I took the last bit of footage yesterday, so let the editing commence :party:

While on the subject of video's I have started a new Youtube channel which will have a mixture of daft vid's, blog type vid's and life in general..

There is only one vid on my UkWheelHorseBloke channel at the mo, putting the finishing touches to the second vid at the mo which will be on it shortly..

Click on the link below to have a look.

My UkWheelHorseBloke Youtube channel link thingy

In other news a Workshack tidy up has started..

You can see the bench now :o

TSS595.jpg

Also all the parts for this project have found their way to one shelf and not all over the place..

TSS596.jpg

And to finish this (not much of an) update, Pete and I went for a drive around the fields. A nice warm day for a change..

TSS599.jpg

Thanks for you patience waiting for an update, if all goes to plan I should be starting on the steering brakes Monday, so keep your fingers crossed for another update soon

:party:

Ole MN

:dunno: great video :wh:

Stigian

Good morning/afternoon Guy's, well it looks like with all the forum problems of late my last post is missing!!

Oh well, I'd better add it to this update :dunno:

Ole MN, glad you liked the vid, it was quite fun to make :wh:

Speaking of vid's the 1st part of this project vid is now on my new Mootube channel if anyone fancies a look..

So what's been happening since my last update? Quite a bit as it happens..

At long last I have pulled my finger out (Pop) and got on with what I was finding to be one of the most daunting parts of this project....

The brake steering!!

I think the problem was in my mind (quite a scary place to be) I had the idea that the brake caliper had to be mounted on the trans just inside the wheels, where there was a vast lack of space to fit anything much!!

Then one day I had a flash of inspiration!!

With the calipers placed on the disc out came some bits of box to see if the "up & over" idea would work..

Looking good.

TSS600.jpg

Plenty of space to mount a hydraulic ram each side for lifting the 3 point linkage.

The steel/cardboard is a roughly to scale mock-up of some new rams I have been watching on Fleabay.

TSS601.jpg

Plenty of space at the back as well, handy for a "rod across the back between the rams" kinda lifting thingy.

TSS602.jpg

Now happy that the idea would work it was full steam ahead only pausing to take a snap of a rainbow above the shack..

TSS603.jpg

Back inside the work started.. To make this idea work all the extra steel has to be removable. This is the first upright thingy, the short bit of box will be bolted to the back of the chassis.

I knew that over bored bearing block would come in handy :thanks:

TSS604.jpg

A little while later.. Two rear uprights clamped/balanced in place.

TSS605.jpg

One of them with an over sized (or yet to be trimmed down) er.. top bit tack welded on.

TSS606.jpg

Time to get serious with the welder and lots of clamps.

TSS607.jpg

A view from the front, I'm quite chuffed with how these bits fit together, a nice tight fit with minimal gaps.

The flat plate held down by the silver clamp is in fact a bit of angle steel, this is how the front of this frame bit will bolt to the chassis.

TSS608.jpg

Both sides tacked welded you can see that bit of angle steel in this photo.

TSS609.jpg

Seam welded from the front, I quite like this view 8)

TSS610.jpg

And front the side, now with over sized bits trimmed down.

TSS611.jpg

Now the...Er... fun bit.. Extending the original Qwackasaki caliper mounts to reach the box frame..

With the calipers have been bolted together at the right angle so they both fit on the disc just right, out came the masking tape to find the mount edges..

TSS612.jpg

Quite a while later the tape template (tapeplate?) had been made into something much stronger.

TSS620.jpg

So how does it fit??

TSS614.jpg

Very happy with it :help:

TSS613.jpg

The only flat plate I have that's the right thickness needs to be cut from this big box.

The red oxide primer that is being rapidly dried was sprayed on just so I could see the pencil marks.

TSS615.jpg

Lot's of chain drilling later...

TSS619.jpg

That's it for now Guy's, your up to date with this build, apart from....

A rather heavy package arrived late Friday afternoon containing not one...

TSS616.jpg

But two of these rather nice hydraulic rams 8)

TSS617.jpg

They are about the same size as standard Wheel Horse deck lifting rams, but have much stronger rods..

A first for me.. Buying hydraulics bits :thanks:

TSS618.jpg

can whlvr

lookin real good stig,i have to hand it to ya,you put alot of time in updating and taking photos so we can enjoy your project,i dont have the patience to do all that and do the project as well,shes gonna be a force to recon with

Kelly

That thing is going to weigh a TON, and i hope you never need to change the trans, but this is just plain cool, to put what is in your mind to a usable item, I wish you lived a bit closer, I'd love to help on this project.

Sparky

Its great to back reading up on the progress of this beast Ian!

Mike..........

Stigian

lookin real good stig,i have to hand it to ya,you put alot of time in updating and taking photos so we can enjoy your project,i dont have the patience to do all that and do the project as well,shes gonna be a force to recon with

Thank you very muchly Sir.

It's more than worth the effort of taking loads of photos and keeping the updates flowing, knowing how much you fine chaps enjoy reading my builds.

All your great and encouraging comments keep my build spirits high and make all the work worth while.

Cheers Guys :help:

That thing is going to weigh a TON, and i hope you never need to change the trans, but this is just plain cool, to put what is in your mind to a usable item, I wish you lived a bit closer, I'd love to help on this project.

Your not wrong there Kelly this is going to be a heavy beast, good for traction though :thanks:

It won't be too much hassle should I ever need to get the trans out, everything that's in the way will unbolt quite easy (just don't quote me on that in years to come when I need to get the trans out and am swearing at why I made it so complicated) :dunno:

Its great to back reading up on the progress of this beast Ian!

Mike..........

Hi Mike, it's great to be making progress for you all to read about :thanks:

I have been a bit slack on this build of late, but maybe the "month off" while sorting the 312's battery box was what I needed to regain enthusiasm.

I'm certainly enjoying making good progress again.

A small amount of progress has been made today.

Pete dropped in today so after the normal couple of cups of coffee and chats about the world, Pete started the sparks flying...

TSS621.jpg

This is one of the calipers mounts, it looks like someone has bitten a couple of chunks out of it :wh:

TSS622.jpg

My turn to create some sparks with the grinder, smoothing out the chain drilling.

TSS623.jpg

While I was grinding Pete kept himself busy chain drill the caliper mount for the other side.

TSS624.jpg

It needs a bit of finishing work, but it fit's the calipers quite well.

TSS625.jpg

And that is about as far as the build got today.. Garry dropped in for the first time in a month so the rest of the afternoon was spent relaxing, drinking yet more coffee and chatting.

jachady

You need to get yourself a plasma cutter. Or better yet, make one :dunno: