Stigian

Introducing the Stig Special

71_Bronco

Very cool, I bet you were so siked to finally see it outside, and get to start playing with it a little.

Out of curiosity, were you guys making "vroom vroom" noises when you sat behind the wheel? lol :woohoo:

In all seriousness though, it is quite astonishing to see this, and I really enjoy watching this unfold. Keep it up!

• Like 1

meadowfield

I like Raider 20 6x6 !

how about this?

mark

stig_special.jpg

Wheel Horse Kid

That looks really awesome! Great job!

wheelhorse656

:D amazing!!! thats one sweet horse!!! :woohoo: thats somthing to be broud of Ian!!!

farmer

Wow, can't wait to see the blade that's going on there, :P great fun following along with your build Ian. :D With a hood as long as that how about SIX WHEEELY HORSEEEY 20HP :woohoo::D:ROTF: :D

312Hydro

Oh Stig,Where art thou? :woohoo: It's been 8 days and no post? I'm getting dizzy for lack of info and pics! Any chance of an update? :D

Stigian

Afternoon Guy's, as ever It's reply time first, but in a slightly different order today..

Oh Stig,Where art thou? It's been 8 days and no post? I'm getting dizzy for lack of info and pics! Any chance of an update?

Howdo Rich, yeah sorry about the lack of updates of late, I've been having quite a rough time of it B)

Energy has been in very short supply in a "manage and hour odd of gentle welding, then sleep the rest of the day" kinda way.. Shaking a lot hasn't helped matters as well..

If your wondering I suffer from Cervical dystonia, it seems to be playing up quite a lot at the mo.. Maybe it's the change of seasons (now the first signs of autumn has started) that's effecting me :woohoo:

Looks great out in the fresh air! Raider 20 6x6

Thanks Rich, it was good to get the full line-up out in the sun.

Your right, Raider 20 6X6 is the way to go with the name, it sounds more er.. agricultural than Raider 20 SS (Skid steer).

Very cool, I bet you were so siked to finally see it outside, and get to start playing with it a little.

Out of curiosity, were you guys making "vroom vroom" noises when you sat behind the wheel? lol

In all seriousness though, it is quite astonishing to see this, and I really enjoy watching this unfold. Keep it up!

Yep, very siked you might say :P

Quite a lot of time was spent just sitting, smoking, drinking, looking and grinning at it :D

No "vroom vroom" noises from me, but you can tell from the look on Pete's face that he was thinking about it :D

Keeping it up as best I can.

I like Raider 20 6x6 !

how about this?

mark

:D Mark, that's some great decals, me thinks your be having some business coming your way when I get to the paint stage :D

That looks really awesome! Great job!

Ta-muchly :ROTF:

amazing!!! that's one sweet horse!!! that's something to be proud of Ian!!!

Thank you Jordan, I'm certainly proud of the way it is going as I'm sure Pete, Garry and Rob are.. Thanks Guy's, I couldn't of done it without you.

Wow, can't wait to see the blade that's going on there, great fun following along with your build Ian. With a hood as long as that how about SIX WHEEELY HORSEEEY 20HP

Hi Rex, you know when Pete and I got the machine outside we was going to dig out my snowplow blade thingy for mocking up fun, but we forgot all about it :D

It might just be the right size!!

Lol at the "SIX WHEEELY HORSEEEY 20HP" :P

AMC RULES

:woohoo: You do amazing work Ian, great to finally see it off the bench and out in the sunlight. It's really looking good so far, imagine it all painted up and new decals applied. A glorious sight indeed. :D

I vote too for the first of meadowfields ideas. To my eye, the Raider 20 6x6 Automatic decal looks like something the factory would have done. :ROTF:

Stigian

HHmmm.. it looks like I've made a bit of a cock-up in the quote department :woohoo:

So what have I managed to get done over the past few weeks??

Well, mostly having a gentle play with the hood, trying to get it straighter or at the very least the curves in the right places..

Starting with the top and some slices down each side..

TSS497.jpg

Both ends pushed up and tacked onto the strip of steel to get the heights matching.

TSS498.jpg

To get the edges the right height, a couple of "tabs" were tacked on.

TSS501.jpg

While the tops were sliced, the sides got pulled out a bit as well.

To fill the gaps I used my normal "dirty masking tape" way of making templates.

TSS500.jpg

One hole and one "filler slither" :D

TSS502.jpg

The front slithers tacked in.

TSS503.jpg

Hhhmm... that kink shouldn't be there :D

To pull that out some more cutting is needed, right up the the black line as it happens.

TSS504.jpg

Cut and pulled out, the shape is much better... Even if I did have to cut into one of the newly inserted slithers :P

TSS505.jpg

Slowly filling in the holes. That kink is still there, but now it's nothing a bit of hammer and dolly work can't handle.

TSS506.jpg

The other side of the hood has a few rust problems!!

TSS508.jpg

Chopped!!!

TSS509.jpg

And patched using part of the the red hood that got chopped off..

I'm not quite happy with the fit of the patch at this time, it won't take much to sort though.

TSS510.jpg

Moving back up to the top of the hood, I knew the join was a bit out of shape...

So out came the DA sander to see how far out.

The red paint just to the left of the join is a low spot..

TSS514.jpg

Some gentle panel beating and things are looking a bit better with less red paint after DA-ing.

TSS515.jpg

Ooohhh yeaahhh.. That's much better now :ROTF:

I expect it will warp a bit during seam welding :D

TSS516.jpg

Stigian

How do you guy's manage to cope with the heat you get :woohoo:

An hour in the shack at 35.5'c (95.9'f) was more than enough for me!!

TSS519.jpg

The top of the hood after most if it has been seam welded.. Not too much warp-age going on..

TSS520.jpg

The welder cracked open again which can mean only one thing.. Yep the switch needs a clean-out again :D

TSS522.jpg

The last rust hole to be patched..

TSS523.jpg

And the remains of the red hood with lot's of holes from patches being cut out.

TSS524.jpg

With all the welding done the hood was thrown on the 'orse to see how much beating is needed..

Rather wonky me thinks..

TSS526.jpg

A bit of hammer/dolly work and some pulling on a G-clamp had the side looking much better..

Luckily the other side needed less work.

TSS527.jpg

The final shaping will happen when I get to the paint prep stage, so have a few photo's of the hood outside before.....

TSS529.jpg

TSS528.jpg

TSS530.jpg

I gave it a quick coat of rust oxide primer to keep the red away..

Yes the brown colour really is that nasty :ROTF:

TSS531.jpg

AMC RULES

The SS designator as I see it. :woohoo:

wwwwww.jpg

MikesRJ

Awesome! When do we see the video?

wheeledhorseman

Hi Ian, the project sure has come on a long way since only a few weeks ago when I dropped in to see it. As ever its awesome stuff! Re the huge acreage available under the hood - how about fitting a generator in there. :woohoo: did one, I think, that could be fitted on the front tach-a-matic to provide mains power out in the field so the idea would be in keeping. On the other hand, an old aircon unit from a car (automobile) could form the basis of a beer cooler for hot days out in the field though I don't think it was ever available as an OEM attachment.

Gerry w

Ian,

What an incredible build! The fun you guys must be having doing that together.

So is it going to be a front blade or a tow type set up on the back for the rig? Also, you should contact Top Gear and have "their" stig take it for a drive!

Great job!

Gerry :woohoo:

Wheel Horse Kid

I second that. A video of this would be awesome!

chesbaycruiser

Stig,

Just a note to say I hope you're feeling better, and the C.D. symptoms have subsided. Missing your great posts from your amazing project....hope you're up and thrashing around in the Workshack soon.

All the best,

:thumbs2:

Don1977

Look forward to your next up-date. Been following along for the last couple of years to

your builds, I have enjoyed your humor and your get-it-done attitude. I know how slow

builds go, but I'll be waiting for the next up-date.

Sure hope your feeling better.

Stigian

Afternoon Guy's, sorry for the lack of.. well.. "anything" from me of late, it's not been a good few weeks, my CD has been giving me so many problem that just getting on with "every day life" tasks has been a real challenge and a challenge I've not been up to :D

For the first time ever I videoed myself in my wobbly shaking state, just to see what I look like from other peoples eye's.. Not been brave enough to watch it yet!!

Anyway, life is coming back to the old dog and the brain has started to function again, which is very nice.

All you fine chaps who are waiting replies to pm's from me, you will get the replies soon.

Sorry to keep you all waiting, my head's just not been up to it..

Now I'm feeling a bit better I'd best get on with a few "post" relies eh.

The SS designator as I see it. whtractor/thumbsup.gif

user posted image

Thanks for doing that pic Craig, it made me laugh.

Can't work out how to copy the pic and put it in a "quote" though.

Awesome! When do we see the video?

Hi Mike, the video is a long way off yet, but..... I do have a few ideas on how it's going to be filmed/edited/music usage, and I have just ordered some new editing software :thumbs2:

Hi Ian, the project sure has come on a long way since only a few weeks ago when I dropped in to see it. As ever its awesome stuff! Re the huge acreage available under the hood - how about fitting a generator in there. whtractor/whlogo.gif did one, I think, that could be fitted on the front tach-a-matic to provide mains power out in the field so the idea would be in keeping. On the other hand, an old aircon unit from a car (automobile) could form the basis of a beer cooler for hot days out in the field though I don't think it was ever available as an OEM attachment.

Hi Andy, sorry for the late pm replies, you will get them soon.

Yeah the project has come on a long way in quite a small space of time.

I think I was really pushing myself to get it to big milestone of getting it rolling..

Things have eased off a bit since then, you might of noticed :thanks:

There won't be quite as much free space under the hood as there looks now.

I need to fit the master cylinders for the steering under the hood stand somewhere, and an extra/master gas tank will be squeezed in..

I say extra/master gas tank as I will be fitting a 3 point linkage to the back of the machine which might have clearance problems with the tank under the seat..

Time will tell on that one!!

A generator could be a good idea, but that would mean I would need to work out a way of getting the WH pto bit's onto the tapered shaft on the engine :banghead:

A beer cooler is a cool (sorry) idea, I do have a small mains powered fridge that as it so happens can also be run off a 12V supply.

Ian,

What an incredible build! The fun you guys must be having doing that together.

So is it going to be a front blade or a tow type set up on the back for the rig? Also, you should contact Top Gear and have "their" stig take it for a drive!

Great job!

Gerry

Hey Gerry, thanks for your kind comments.

Your right we certainly do all have fun building this beast and general larking about in the shack.

You may of noticed a lack of Garry in the photo's of late.. It's not that Garry has "gone off" heading over here, it's more of.. The old bugger has got engaged and is spending most of his non-working time with Helen many miles away..

Not that I mind as I've never seen Garry so happy.. Happy for you both old beans :banghead:

Oh, can I wear my "Stig suit" to the wedding??

Sorry Gerry, I got a bit way off subject for a mo..

The 6x6 will at some point gain a blade up front and a 3 point linkage on the back much sooner..

I second that. A video of this would be awesome!

All in good time glasshopper :ROTF:

Stig,

Just a note to say I hope you're feeling better, and the C.D. symptoms have subsided. Missing your great posts from your amazing project....hope you're up and thrashing around in the Workshack soon.

All the best,

:thumbs: Chris. I'm starting to feel a bit more "my" normal self at last, enough to be "up and thrashing" around in the Workshack :D

Look forward to your next up-date. Been following along for the last couple of years to

your builds, I have enjoyed your humor and your get-it-done attitude. I know how slow

builds go, but I'll be waiting for the next up-date.

Sure hope your feeling better.

Howdo Don, the good news is.. The next update is here..

Glad you enjoy our builds and the slightly strange sense of humour :thumbs::USA:

Feeling a bit better now thanks.

Stigian

Although it's been a very slow few weeks in the Workshack things have been happening during the odd hours when I've felt able to do something.

Quite a bit of time has been spent just sitting, looking at the engine trying to work out how to get drive from the tapered shaft..

Just a drive pulley is quite easy, but if I wanted to fit all the Wh PTO bits as well....

Lot's of measuring, :thumbs2: ing, scribbling and more :banghead: ing later..

Some plans were roughly scribbled up :ROTF:

TSS541.jpg

TSS542.jpg

I had been looking for a free "auto-cad" type bit of software and came across Google Sketchup 8..

Lot's more :banghead: ing later..

The drive pulley part..

1.png

2.png

3.png

The "fit over the tapered shaft" part.

4.png

5.png

6.png

I guess I need some steel to make these parts then..

For the pulley I need another square from this slab.

TSS540.jpg

And the shaft part cut from this 4" diameter steel bar!!

TSS539.jpg

Chopped off..

TSS543.jpg

This might take a while!!!

TSS544.jpg

Turned around and getting smaller..

TSS545.jpg

Almost there for the outside of the "fit over the taper" bit :thanks:

TSS546.jpg

I had more of a play with Google Sketchup and found you could make something look like clear glass..

7.png

8.png

Starting to feel a bit better now, I also felt safe enough to think about picking up the grinder again..

So off came the wheels..

TSS547.jpg

Followed by some mocking-up of the last bit's to go on the chassis..

TSS548.jpg

"More chassis work", I hear you ask :D

Yep these last parts will give the trans a bit more support, give me something strong to mount a 3 point linkage onto, and finally give me somewhere to mount the brake/steering calipers..

TSS549.jpg

From the rear.. The plan has changed a slight bit from when this photo was taken, but more on this when I start making the change..

TSS550.jpg

Just enough space to clear the trans brake :thumbs:

TSS551.jpg

Clamped up for tack welding..

TSS553.jpg

HHmmmm.. Looks like I've got a clamp fetish going on :thumbs:

TSS554.jpg

That's all for this time chap's other than......

The stretched hood on a standard length Raider 10. :USA:

TSS552.jpg

So why was the hood off the Raider in the first place????

Well, that's a whole new post :D

AMC RULES

Really enjoy watching your progress, always well worth the wait. Glad you're finally on the mend and feeling better. Keep up the good work. :thumbs2:

312Hydro

Hey Stig, Glad your feeling better! Tractor is coming along nicely. I envy your ability to fabricate on that lathe! The 3 point is going to be a great addition and the extra tank will certainly be handy for all the time I'm sure you'll be spending working with it. :thumbs2:

chesbaycruiser

Welcome back Stig! Great progress, as always!!!

COMMANDO6

Hey, I'm glad to see you're feeling better.

Or at least feeling fine enough to be working again.

I've been reading this post for a couple months and I'm finding it fun and entertaining. I cant wait to see it done.

So what's the deal with the Raider 10? :thumbs2:

massey

Glad to see you're back at it again Ian. It seems you can never have too many clamps doesn't it?

chesbaycruiser

So why was the hood off the Raider in the first place????

Well, that's a whole new post :banghead:

I'm thinking there might be a clue found in a certain YouTube "swap" video? Ring any bells?