wortpuss

Wheelhorse 312 electrical headache

wortpuss

I have a 312 wheelhorse tractor that won’t start with the key switch  won’t even crank over nothing , but if I hit the toggle switch for the test switch if will crank over and start . Can’t figure this out , hope someone can help .

gwest_ca

What is the long model number of your tractor? This model went through multiple wiring changes.

• Like 1

wortpuss
5 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

What is the long model number of your tractor? This model went through multiple wiring changes.

Model K2415, serial - 1610406123, spec. No - 46863 

gwest_ca

The K241S-46863 was used in the 1986 model 310-8 tractor but you say you have a 312-8 which used a K301 in 1986.

The tractor data decal should be on the rear fender pan under the seat. They started out under the front of the seat and moved to under the left side of the seat.

How many idiot lights do you have? The 310 has one light and the 312 has 4 or 5 lights.

• Like 1

peter lena

@wortpuss  unscrew that dash face , 4 phillips screws , carefully angle it back , check for corrosion  , frayed wiring , corroded fuses ? the fact that you can make it start with an impact to the area , probably also indicates grass / debris at back of dash area . pete

• Like 1

wortpuss

First of all I want to thank everyone for trying to help me , being 75 years old and very forgetful I gave the wrong information on my tractor ,it’s a 12hp kohler engine model K3015 , I’d on seat is 2112k802. -18625 and has five test lights . O my it just get bad when you start to loose your marbles. Any way I took off the plate that has all the wires attached and found a lot of grass behind it , put it back . But still only starts with the test switch .

gwest_ca

Download this file. The start circuit has it's own diagram.

• Like 1

953 nut
23 hours ago, wortpuss said:

I have a 312 wheelhorse tractor that won’t start with the key switch  won’t even crank over nothing , but if I hit the toggle switch for the test switch if will crank over and start . Can’t figure this out , hope someone can help .

:WRS:

That is an odd situation to say the least. When you flip the test switch do you also have the key switch turned to start?

The only thing that I'm aware of that is common to the test switch and the key switch is the PTO switch. If you remove the battery and do a good cleaning of the PTO switch that could resolve the problem. Could be grass clippings and who knows what built up there keeping the switch from operating properly

wortpuss
25 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:

That is an odd situation to say the least. When you flip the test switch do you also have the key switch turned to start?

The only thing that I'm aware of that is common to the test switch and the key switch is the PTO switch. If you remove the battery and do a good cleaning of the PTO switch that could resolve the problem. Could be grass clippings and who knows what built up there keeping the switch from operating properly

wortpuss

Thanks i will give that a try

• Like 1