Jedaco

Choke is backwards

Jedaco

My recently acquired 314A has the choke backwards: pushed in = choke.  There appears to be a newer cable.  The carb is a Walbro but I suspect not the original because I can't see how else the cable could attach to the carb to make it proper - the cable would have to attach above the carb for it to work but the cable routing definitely comes up from the bottom because the cable clip/stabilizer is under the carb.  I've looked at several different carbs on line.  My carb has the short main screw jet on the side instead of the long top screw model.  Does anyone have a photo of the original carb for the 1985 314A?  Thanks!

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ed Kennell

The Chinese replacement carbs often have the choke lever on the wrong side.

• Like 3

953 nut

:WRS:

Many replacement carburetors come with the choke lever set up for a top cable. Do not buy a cheap Chinese Carb that says it fits 10 to 16 HP engines, they are junk. I Save Tractors sells good quality parts and the carb includes two choke shafts, one for top mount and one for lower mount cables. Call them and they may put the correrct one in for you so you don't have to mess with it.    

https://isavetractors.com/carburetor-30-for-kohler-k321-k341-k361-m14-and-m16/

Carburetor #26 For Kohler K241, K301, M10, M12 Engines

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

I have used a high speed grinder and cut the swedge off the end of the shaft, rotated and flipped the choke arm, then tack welded it back on before.  It’s not a terrible job and the results are worth it.  I have another one like that now, it runs great but I really should do the mod again.

• Like 1

ri702bill

Hmmm... by chance, does the original shaft and choke plate fit the "aftermarket from an offshore supplier" carburetor?? Should solve the issue...

• Like 2

wallfish

Direction for the travel of the cable can also be changed by adding a simple lever between the connection :twocents-02cents:

Either straight or with a 90 deg

1198740110_carblever.jpg.7519915fe5f7cf4ce5bcd3942a100467.jpg

• Like 3

953 nut
54 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

Hmmm... by chance, does the original shaft and choke plate fit the "aftermarket from an offshore supplier" carburetor?? Should solve the issue...

That could solve the choke cable routing issue but you are sill stuck with a Junk Chinese carburetor. The ones that say they will fit 10 HP to 16 HP won't work well on anything.  The throat size for 10 to 12 HP is # 26 and the throat size for 14 to 16 HP is # 30. The jets for the # 26 are smaller than the # 30 and the junk you get from China is a mix of whatever was on the shelf at the time and will never operate properly.        :soapbox:

• Like 3

Jedaco

The current carb is an older genuine Walbro carburetor...just not the carb that belongs on this particular tractor.  It does not appear to be junk aftermarket.  See photo...

Carb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

rmaynard

Can you reroute the cable to come over the top of the engine?

Here is a sketch from the parts diagram.

This is pre-EPA mandate to remove adjustment screws.

walbro.png.2e71a314af83ff88534638af2ca78627.png

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ed Kennell

I have corrected some of these by tapping the holes (6-32)  in the existing lever and screwing on a new lever that extends to the other side.

• Like 2

953 nut
4 hours ago, rmaynard said:

Can you reroute the cable to come over the top of the engine?

Probably the most practical solution under the circumstances. The choke cable on my GT-14 comes over top of the engine and then turns down to the carburetor.

• Like 1