csvt99

314-8 motor mount bolts falling out

John2189
8 hours ago, csvt99 said:

One thing I thought of is that I will be drilling out the hole to a larger diameter, so as long as I don't drill it the whole way through, there will be resistance as the hole necks down. So I think I will be okay.

I would use the E-Z lock insert as Wild Bill suggested, they are a solid insert. I think they would hold better. 

On 6/4/2023 at 8:34 AM, Wild Bill 633 said:

The Helicoil is a wire threaded insert. Another option is the E-Z Lok insert. To install, you drill and tap the hole to a bigger size and install the threaded insert. The insert comes as thin and standard wall and with Loktite red on it. I have used these and tend to prefer over a Helicoil.

• Like 2

wallfish

Those EZ lok inserts are nice !!! ( but expensive ).

Since you need to drill and tap the holes anyway, you could also just drill the other holes bigger to just use bigger bolts and skip all the inserts. It's not always that easy but in this instance and circumstance it appears that would work. It's still holding on those same new threads either way. :twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

John2189
4 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Those EZ lok inserts are nice !!! ( but expensive ).

Since you need to drill and tap the holes anyway, you could also just drill the other holes bigger to just use bigger bolts and skip all the inserts. It's not always that easy but in this instance and circumstance it appears that would work. It's still holding on those same new threads either way. :twocents-02cents:

If you go the next size bigger bolt route, I think I’d use fine thread 

• Like 1

Rick3478
2 hours ago, John2189 said:

If you go the next size bigger bolt route, I think I’d use fine thread 

I don't think I'd do fine threads in aluminum, given its tendency to gall and chew up.  Insert or stud, then maybe. :twocents-02cents:

csvt99

I can't picture what type of stud you are referring to. Below is a picture of the factory bolt, not sure if it is considered fine or course. I'm leaning towards doing the inserts on all holes just for consistency, especially if the inserts make it stronger. I would hate to get it all back together and then end up with the same issue again. Thanks!

csvt99

Here is the photo:

PXL_20230607_142335435.jpg

John2189

This is a step studIMG_3107.jpeg.4cd9e91b20df2bb295b76885e5af53dc.jpeg

Sounds like you are more comfortable with using the hel icoil

• Like 2

csvt99
15 minutes ago, John2189 said:

This is a step studIMG_3107.jpeg.4cd9e91b20df2bb295b76885e5af53dc.jpeg

Sounds like you are more comfortable with using the hel icoil

For this application I'm not sure that it would work due to clearance issues, depending on sizes available. I will try what have and go from there. Who knows I could end up going this route. Thanks for the suggestion.

squonk

Or replace the oil pan

csvt99
2 hours ago, squonk said:

Or replace the oil pan

Squonk, I might have to if I mess up the threads :). But of course I didn't even think about it. Not sure how difficult that would be or what the cost/ availability is. I'll keep you posted on the progress

csvt99

I got the first one heli coiled and working on the second. The other two holes seem to have clean threads so I'm thinking of leaving those alone. I like the idea of the stronger heli-coils in there but don't really want to risk fixing something that isn't broken. I'll get some pics up in time.

• Excellent 1

csvt99

I ended up heli coiling two which were catacorner to each other and salvaged the others as they still had decent threads. Put a little lok tite on and tightened down to 30 lf pounds. Hopefully this fixes it for good.

PXL_20230609_003931378.jpg

PXL_20230609_003938729.jpg

PXL_20230609_010923632.jpg

PXL_20230609_013422403.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

csvt99

I got everything back together and mowed on Saturday. Just in time because it finally rained yesterday! Thanks for all of your help 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1