Skwerl58

1054 issue continues

Skwerl58

I have been working on a 1054 that I have never had running but had it turn over. After turning over it will now not turn over, starter turning engine. I have ordered a brush/bearing kit for the starter/ generator. I also have tried trouble shooting the original switch and starter button. The ignition switch has 12 .5 volts until I turn the key then it drops. The starter button doesn't change whether switch is on or not. Ohms are 3.7 on both with the switch on. I am thinking of replacing the ingnition switch/ button with an ignition switch, which switch should I get. I have a couple of older switches, one four wire from a Clark tow mo and  another Wheel Horse replacement that was wrong for my 414-8? Any help is appreciated!!

squonk

The voltage dropping out is an indication of high  resistance somewhere. You didn't say how far the voltage drops. All you're doing is powering up the ignition coil when you turn the key on. What kind of shape are the battery cables in? If they are original they are probably shot. Clean all connections especially where the ground cable connects to the engine. You need a high amp switch if you decide to get rid  of the button unless you wire in a solenoid. This engine  will draw 60-80 amps when cranking. A good High amp switch is a Cole Hersee 925521B or this switch from Lowell

https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/product/4988-7263-starter-generator-key-switch/

• Excellent 1

953 nut

I see that you have had several posts about a 1054 over the past couple of months. Rather than having us open each post would you please give us a brief synopsis of the repairs you have attempted and what the results were. We are sort of chasing down rabit holes trying to find the right one otherwise.

5 hours ago, Skwerl58 said:

I have a couple of older switches, one four wire from a Clark tow mo and  another Wheel Horse replacement that was wrong for my 414-8?

Lots of ignition switches out there to choose from but you need to select the correct one.

If you plan to use a newer 103-990 ignition switch and a solenoid with your Starter/Generator this wiring diagram will help.

5b202ef98cc34_wiring-starter-generatorwithbatteryignition.jpg.24ab0ca0cab6d9b8f7d7ffb2a7a42fbc.jpg

• Excellent 2