Sign in to follow this  
TT

Central PA snow removal detail....

TT

This morning we awoke to a white blanket of about 3 WHOPPING inches of snow! :D

As the day progressed, another inch or two accumulated and I set out to play.

After trying for about 10 minutes to get the "new" 704 to start (the recoil dogs don't always catch the starter cup, and the carburetor needs a little tuning) the old girl finally lit. I let it warm up for about 10 minutes while I "broke trail" with the 416, and got rid of the nasty stuff along the edges of the road. (snowthrowers and anti-skid don't mix! :P ) Once I got done with the 416, I climbed on to that COLD metal seat and out through the yard we went. :thumbs:

Once again, I'd like to thank Mrs. Robinson for handling the picture taking duties and I believe she did an excellent job! :thumbs::D:P

Here's a few pictures:

"Breaking the trail"

20908001.jpg

"The 704/ST-3072 combo"

20908006.jpg

20908011.jpg

20908019.jpg

"Finishing the job with the 416H"

20908042.jpg

All 42 pictures can be seen here:

Playing in the snow!

nylyon

Very nice, and special thanks to Mrs. Robinson for taking the pictures to share. It's snowing here now, but is supposed to turn to rain,so sadly, I will not be sharing any snow play pictures. :thumbs:

CasualObserver

Very Nice! thanks for sharing. I can't believe how high the lift raises that snowthrower, that's some nice clearance compared to later models.

20908003.jpg

TT

.....and when that snowthrower is raised in the air like that, I can stick my toe under the back of the transaxle and lift the whole back end of the tractor right off the ground! :thumbs:

(I'd say a counterweight would be a nice thing to have.)

It actually did well for turf tires with no weights or chains, but the governor is a bit "squirrelly" so I really didn't want to use it too much. I really just wanted to see what it worked like -- and I was definitely impressed. :thumbs:

Rollerman

Terry I'm with Jason...I surprised how high it lifts!....any higher & you would have to adjust the hood with a 2 pound hammer. :thumbs:

Looks like you had fun...just how do you sweet talk the wife into takeing pictures?

I've had no luck here yet.

Also I have the same issues with my 704 & 633...pulling the recoil & hopeing the dogs catch.

CasualObserver

speaking of sticky recoils... have you cleaned them lately? I had one sticking on my trailblazer, i took it completely apart, cleaned and dried all the pieces, put it back together and it works like a dream. No slippage at all. I always thought they were supposed to be oiled, but apparently not. They don't like to be dirty/oily. just a thought.

TT

To be honest guys, this is only the second time I had this tractor running since I brought it home 3 weeks ago. With all of this "no more job" stuff, bus driving tests, and all of the other B.S., I haven't been out to the shop much. I finally did get the 210-5 unloaded and the trailer unhooked and put away today. :P

My local small engine / auto electric repair shop has been in business since the late 50's or early 60's and I did manage to get some pieces for another one of these recoil starters on a K-161 I loaned my son. (They had all but two of the pieces in stock! :thumbs: ) I guess I should use them on the 704 starter, and also get the poor thing tuned up soon.

I know they should be assembled dry and I often use only powdered graphite as a "lubricant"-- when I remember. :thumbs: The starter on my 633 catches every time, and I'm used to that one. I guess it wasn't used much and since it starts so easy, things aren't worn out yet. :D I do get tired of hitting my knuckles on the lift levers though! :D

On a humorous note: I watched two different guys fall off of their tractors backwards because the one starter didn't catch, and the rope broke on the other. :D:P:P And NEVER install your recoil starter so the rope faces forward. (where you have to stand in front of the tractor to start it) It's quite embarrassing to get run over by your own tractor! (It wasn't me -- but I saw that happen too!) :D

Maybe if I get a chance, I'll put the HY-2 back on the 702, get some normal front wheels and tires back on it, and transfer the snowthrower over to it. It already has tire chains, and I still have one extra set of wheel weights I could throw on it.

Right now, it looks like I should have the time to do it -- not much money, but LOTS of spare time. :D

perry

great to see ya having some winter time fun :thumbs: . i always like to see the ol'round hoods working :thumbs: . since you have all the time now, get your butt up her and sit on one of these seats for a few hours. woke up to another 3" this morning :D . im'a gettin sore and wore out.

TT

If it wasn't so dang far, I'd be right there, Perry!

Just as long as I don't have to sit on a cold metal pan seat, I wouldn't mind! :thumbs:

perry

If it wasn't so dang far, I'd be right there, Perry!

Just as long as I don't have to sit on a cold metal pan seat, I wouldn't mind! :thumbs:

thats funny :D . i bought a red canvas boat cushion from wally world years back. it sat in the fishing boat and started to fade and now matches the faded paint on my 604. i slapped it on the pan seat and it looks like it belongs there :thumbs: . and ya, them seats get a little cold.

TT

It wouldn't be so bad if I had blue jeans or coveralls on, but I still have my work uniforms ( :thumbs: ) and those pants sure are thin! :thumbs:

combatmp29r

Looks like you had some fun today Terry. Glad the 704 worked out well for ya :thumbs:

TT

It's been a long time since I made a round hood "work" in the winter time, Joel.

I can tell you this though...... it sure makes me appreciate the 416 even more! :thumbs: Especially the padded seat!

combatmp29r

Never run a round hood :thumbs: , but I remember appriciating the padded seat on the 4020 compared to the B on the farm in the winter. We had a rear blade on the B, and pulled an old highway department Farmal road grader behind the 4020.

chevelletown

Terry, thanks for posting the pics of the 704. I've always liked the vintage look of that style snowthrower but didn't know how well they work. Judging by the pics they work pretty well :thumbs:

TT

You're quite welcome!

I give it a :thumbs: , Ken!

Considering I had zero time on this tractor before today, and was totally unfamiliar with it's "quirks", I think it really did well. :thumbs:

BPjunk

Terry,

GREAT PICTURES

Seeing those pictures of a old 704 blowing snow looks like they came out of a sales brochure from Wheel Horse! :thumbs::D:thumbs::P

It is good to see the 704 and snow blower deal worked out.

Bill in Richmond, Va.

kpinnc

Looks like a lot of fun Terry!

Great pics!

Kevin

T-Mo

Terry,

Great action pictures. Your wife is a gem for taking these. Looks like you had some fun. And I agree with the others, that 704 really lifts that blower high.

Karl,

We're supposed to get hit 3 times next week with some wintery type stuff. Monday evening into Monday night, sleek, freezing rain and then snow with some accumulation. Then again Thursday night and then again Saturday. And I still have the plow on the C141. :thumbs: Tomorrow I might find time to move it from it to the 314 but I sort of doubt it. I doubt if we get enough snow though Monday night to use the plow anyways.

TT

Terry,

GREAT PICTURES

Seeing those pictures of a old 704 blowing snow looks like they came out of a sales brochure from Wheel Horse! :thumbs::D:thumbs::P

It is good to see the 704 and snow blower deal worked out.

Bill in Richmond, Va.

Thanks, Wild Bill!

Glad you liked the pictures. :P

The 704 is definitely in need of some attention (especially the recoil starter!) but the thrower works great. It's actually quieter than my 06-42ST04 :D

TT

Looks like a lot of fun Terry!

Great pics!

Kevin

It was "quite the handful" to operate compared to the "new" thrower I have for the 416H, Kevin, but you are right..... it sure was fun! :thumbs:

Terry,

Great action pictures. Your wife is a gem for taking these. Looks like you had some fun. And I agree with the others, that 704 really lifts that blower high.

She certainly is a sweetheart, Terry! A few of those pictures were taken from the porch, but some were also taken from the "warm side" of the storm door. She is very tolerant of me and my tractors :thumbs:

And yes -- the lift linkage/pivot location really lets that thrower come up in the air! The discharge chute is only about 1 inch from the hood :D

muka

Those pictures are great love to see old tractors working.Great job to the wife for the photos nice.Good luck to you kevin