Sign in to follow this  
MikesRJ

Custom Made Seat Covers

MikesRJ

I have a friend who makes custom upholstery and seat covers for homes, businesses and vehicles (automotive, aircraft, boats, etc.). I've used him on many of the restoration projects I have done in the past, and his work is always top-notch. I recently mentioned to him that a void exists in the tractor community for good seat repairs and covers, and he said he would be interested in this sort of work.

I'm trying to gage the level of interest in this type of service from all of you restorers.

1) Is this something I should pursue with him, and;

2) Do you think it is worth the time and effort?

Not sure of the pricing model or what he would have to do to gear-up, I am only exploring the possibilities and don't have much in the way of details. Comments wanted!

nylyon

I have seen on eBay the 2 piece seats going for big bucks. There are a lot of seat pans, but the vinyl on the seats seem to be all ripped up. If he were to be able to reproduce the sear cover (with the horse head logo) that would be awesome, and depending on price, I would be interested.

tgranthamfd

With the round seat pan covers, the ones that I have seen on e-bay had a bright white. If he could do them with the "correct" color of white, and keep them around the $30 range, he would sell a lot of them. I think coadster had to experiment with staining the white on the one that he bought. :thumbs2:

stevebo

I would say he would have to be set up to make them cheap. Take a look at what you can get on ebay for seat pan covers. They are going for $14-$22. I got a seat cover for my simplicity landlord from "One Man's Stop Shop" for $23 and it is very nice.

He would have to target more of the custom seat covers and the high back covers. I agree that a good upholstry guy will produce a nice product however it comes down to price. Good luck- :thumbs2:

Jim_M

I could use a black and white seat cover for a 68 lawn ranger.

Electro12WH

As has been said, it's a matter of price. Doing the horsehead is probably too much to ask. If it came down to replacement cushions or an incorrect seat from the tractor supply, I would go with the cushions.

WheelHorse_of_course

I can't say I wouldn't buy one, but I can't say I would.

I am sorry to say price would rank very highly in my criteria.

But then again, my horse are workers not show horses, so while I prefer something with authenticity and detail, it is not my top cirteria.

:thumbs2:

wingrider

I would be interested in a product like that, it seems to me that he could really do a lot of work with a quality product and a fair price. There has got to be all kinds of tractor fans that think the same

Thanks Gsry B

sorekiwi

I'd be interested in replica covers for my seats.

But I will disagree a little about the price,,, :thumbs2:

I wouldnt want to pay $100 for one, but I also dont think you'd be able to get a nice piece for $20 either... I think I'd be prepared to pay around $60 for a nice, stock looking cover. The horsehead embossing would be awesome, but I dont see that as being practical.

The cover that Jon (Bell) got recently looks like a nice piece.

My .02c...

Doubletrouble

I also liked the cover that bell has. I'm waiting for contact info on it but in the future I would like to acquire more horses so the need would be there. The seat cover that he has was priced at $40 which I think was fair by the looks of it.

linen beige

The horse head logo would get him a LOT of business, but Toro still holds the trademark on it.

I think there would be a fair market for high quality reproductions of the black and white Lawn Ranger seats and correct seats for the 953/1054/1054A/.

kpinnc

I think there would be a fair market for high quality reproductions of the black and white Lawn Ranger seats and correct seats for the 953/1054/1054A/.

Ditto. :thumbs2:

Red Iron

Even tho' my 1054 is seatless, I would need the complete seat, not

just recovered. Current plan to put my 1054 to work and the seat better

cushion my bottom end over rough stuff. I'm not into "prefect restoration", but

I did use a fishing boat seat on my previous 1054, 25 bucks and was solid

red and hinged and comfortable! I think it is a matter of personal taste as

well the intended use of the tractor.

Red Horse

The horse head logo would get him a LOT of business, but Toro still holds the trademark on it.

lb is right. Not only does Toro hold the copyright to the WH horsehead logo but anyone who uses it or reproduces a product without their permission is going to have a Nastygram from Toro in short order. If you're serious about repoping WH black vinyl covers you better get a license agreement first. As far as being able to sell them have no fear they will sell very quickly.

Juggler

I'd pay for a nice cover. I'd even pay for a complete seat and backrest. Hope you decide to continue! :thumbs2:

Duff

If you're serious about repping WH black vinyl covers you better get a license agreement first.

Anybody got any wild idea how bad Toro would soak a small operator for such a "license"? :thumbs:

Duff :thumbs2:

MikesRJ

OK, all comments considered, I discussed this thread with my friend today. We talked on the phone while he read through the comments, and then discussed each point made. I will go into the specifics of our conversation, and you can draw your own conclusions from the comments below. What follows is a synopsis of our conversation.

I would also like everyone to comment back based on this post as well.

1. My buddy is a professional upholsterer (retired Asst. Police Chief actually) who uses top quality materials in his seat covers. Since he lives on the New Jersey Shore, he primarily specializes in boating and outdoor vehicle seat covers. In other words his reputation depends on providing high-quality products, which will be exposed to the harshest environments, and his business is about 95% return customers if that says anything about his work. What he makes, he stands behind. Quality does not come cheap, and you get what you pay for. Quality and a $22 eBay cover are not breathed in the same sentence here.

2. The Wheelhorse and horse-head logo's are out of the question, based on the conversation I had last week with Toro. Let's leave it at, "They are nuts". You could always take a sample of the logo or head to your local embroidery shop and have it done on your own, after the fact, and not infringe on profiting from the reproduction of a trademarked logo.

3. My friend has access to all four primary Wheelhorse colors of choice. A duplicate for each; in WH Red, WH Linen, Black and White; in 28 oz. and 32 oz., 20,000 cycle, Marine Grade, -10 degree cold-crack materials. This is VERY high-Quality boat seat vinyl, with an imitation leather finish, exactly like that used by WH on some of their covers. They also come in flat, and plain textures, as well as about 15 other colors. The material alone is just shy of $20.00 a yard.

4. Since he has not done any Wheelhorse seats before, he will be making patterns of the covers he does make, while manufacturing the first of each one. If you have a seat with trashed covers, and you leave the covers on when you send your seat, all the better. It will make the pattern making job much easier for him. Otherwise pictures of a known good seat will have to be provided to him (by me) as a reference.

5. Yes, you heard that right. You need to send the seat to him in order to have your covers installed. Shipping costs will be the responsibility of the owner and will be included in the cost. Or you can order the covers and install yourself if he already has the pattern completed and on-hand. So that is up in the air until enough seat styles are sent to him for pattern making and first run.

6. Seats can be duplicated from the original or can be customized in about any manner you can think of. He is well versed at performing miracles and my experience of his work has always been first rate, even when all he has to go on is a verbal description.

7. The million dollar question, "How much?"! Based on the seven designs I showed him, and the amount of "custom" work you want added to the original design (i.e. piping, special sewing patterns, different colors, installing yourself, etc.), you're looking at anywhere from $50.00 - $200.00 per cover. For a rough example, measure your seats total surface area in square inches and divide by 144, multiply that number by $25.00 and you'll get an idea. Normal pricing is about $25 per square foot for a standard seat with no customizations. I am well aware that some are going to scream "that's crazy", but I refer you to my next-to-last comment in #1. "You get what you pay for!"

All comments welcome.

WheelHorse_of_course

I don't doubt he's worth it!

I wish him luck.

:thumbs2:

Kelly

I'd go $75 each on ones for my mid 60's tractors the black and white ones, but that is pushing what I can aford they had nice ones at the WH show in 08 but they were $200 sorry but that is more than I pay for tractors most of the time.

I have a White and black one I could send and he could tear it apart to make a pattren, maybe doing that we could get a price break?? then he would be set up for that style.

wingrider

Hi Mike

Your idea and what you came up with to me is its a very goood plan. Personally if I was going to all the trouble and expense to restore a tractor to better than new condition a great looking seat to top it all off for even 200.00 does not sound like it is over priced. If you consider all the time and money that you will put into the project that price should not be out of line at all.

I'm going to redo a 854 and to me, after looking at a couple at the show in June ,the seat really is the frosting on the cake.

I don't have anything but the seat pan to use for a pattern but I sure would be one of the first to order a new seat.

I remember seeing a post last winter about Lowes selling a very good copy of a Wheel Horse seat for 25.00 that had been selling for 50.00 before and from what you've said was not near the visual quality of what you are talking about, so I guess its going to be up to the individual what he or she wants to spend.

Thats my 2 cents worth Gary B

whfan74

I don't think your friend is out of line. I always feel you get what you pay for. The best thing you are doing right now is spreading the word. It may take a little bit for it to catch on but I think it will be somewhat profitable.

Lane Ranger

Kelly and Mike Both have some good suggestions. It would be very nice if a pattern archive and/or group of different patterns could be gathered in some way to share the patterns with folks in different locations that may be interested in making real good seats or seat covers of good quality materials.

My sister made two 1054 seats and a Lawn Ranger seat and has some patterns now. I think if we work at this a little more we might be able to cobble together a good bunch of patterns that could be shared with several folks. She indicated that it would be difficult to make money at this and still do a quality job under $60 or $75 on seats like the 1054. Others may be more or less.

Just my two cents worth...