Mike'sHorseBarn

How to Adjust a Mechanical Voltage Regulator?

Mike'sHorseBarn

Does anyone know how to adjust a mechanical voltage regulator? I have a 1067 and an 857 that are both charging at 15V which is way too much.

• Like 1

WHX??

This screw here Mike. Make sure you have 1/2 to full throttle on. Use your DMM. Doesn't take much of a turn to change it. 

20200419_144248.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Mike'sHorseBarn
3 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

This screw here Mike. Make sure you have 1/2 to full throttle on. Use your DMM. Doesn't take much of a turn to change it. 

Thank you sir! That's exactly what I wanted! Screw in or out to decrease voltage?

• Like 1

Handy Don
1 hour ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

Thank you sir! That's exactly what I wanted! Screw in or out to decrease voltage?

Useful question!

Awaiting @Achto's wisdom, but I’m gonna guess that he’ll say “Look at the meter and go a bit in each direction until you get the voltage you want.” Remember that the WH voltmeters are not always precise!

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

gwest_ca

An old Kohler manual covers the starter/generator and regulator.

• Like 4

Achto
4 hours ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

Screw in or out to decrease voltage?

I believe that it is out to decrease voltage. A little touch can move the voltage a long way. Like @Handy Don mentioned, don't trust your analog gauge on the tractor. Always use a multi-meter.

• Like 3

WHX??

Long as the cover is off I clean the contacts up with an ignition file, lint free rag and contact cleaner. 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

WHX??
7 hours ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

I don't remember but Dan might be right. Play with it like Don said. Just make sure the R's are up and you monitor it over several minutes. 

1055 custom has a somewhat accurate digital gauge which jives with the DMMs I have. I set on the 12.5 volt which doesn't seem to cook batteries & runs up to 13.5 once things get hot. 

If you have the more expensive automotive post type battery in your 1067 you want that one to last.  

Good reminder to check mine again since most are SG. 

20190516_115059.jpg

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Mike'sHorseBarn
20 hours ago, WHX?? said:

If you have the more expensive automotive post type battery in your 1067 you want that one to last.  

I do, that's why I want to get it adjusted before I burn the battery. 

I was planning on starting it up and running them around a bit to get them good and hot before I start my adjustment.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

WHX??

Real good plan :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Good timing on this thread folks. 

When we get back to tractor playing around here we need to diagnose why the low charge lamp is always on while Trina's Military Tribute Tractor is running.  

S/G bench tests good so I'm figuring either I messed up a wire or the VR is outta sync or toasted. 

• Like 1

WHX??

Remember to check grounds and the little ground strap that connects the reg to it's mount. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Remember to check

the little ground strap that connects the reg to it's mount. 

That could be it..... 

• Like 2

lynnmor
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Good timing on this thread folks. 

When we get back to tractor playing around here we need to diagnose why the low charge lamp is always on while Trina's Military Tribute Tractor is running.  

S/G bench tests good so I'm figuring either I messed up a wire or the VR is outta sync or toasted. 

Be sure to polarize the regulator, the procedure can be found in the files in post #2.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

This particular reg is a Borg Warner and has no adjusting screws other than bending the spring tabs on the relays. 

20230527_161838.jpg

pfrederi
On 5/26/2023 at 9:07 AM, lynnmor said:

Be sure to polarize the regulator, the procedure can be found in the files in post #2.

Not really necessary.  A starter generator is polarized when you try to start it...as you are applying batter voltage directly to the Armature terminal...same as jumping bat to Gen on the regulator itself as described in the manual .

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Mike'sHorseBarn
7 hours ago, WHX?? said:

This particular reg is a Borg Warner and has no adjusting screws other than bending the spring tabs on the relays. 

20230527_161838.jpg

I was just gonna google this because that's what mine looks like!!

Handy Don
10 hours ago, WHX?? said:

20230527_161838.jpg

Mine isn’t adjustable either. I’m going to try putting shims under the spring ends instead of bending the tabs.

Mike'sHorseBarn
17 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Mine isn’t adjustable either. I’m going to try putting shims under the spring ends instead of bending the tabs.

I bent the tabs and got it adjusted to 13.5. The other one was adjustable.

• Excellent 2

WHX??

It was what came on a 701 Mike. Sure it's been replaced. Cover was dicked up but clean inside. 

13 5 /13 6 is ideal :handgestures-thumbupright: