zmang82

B80 hub and axle replacement

zmang82

As I was pushing dirt with my tractor. It’s not moving. I took the wheel weights off and noticed that the hubs spun severely on the axles, and the keys were sheared off and severely damaged. No, how do I go about replacing these damage parts thanks in advance, and where’s a good place to purchase replacement parts.

A906B915-56BD-4DA6-9DB9-D6ED10270798.jpeg

DA124326-FF69-416A-837D-94DF8ACADB77.jpeg

317F2822-0C08-4C60-AEBB-8E593BDF30C5.jpeg

• Sad 2

ebinmaine

To fix that you'll need to split the transmission. 

Great time to give the insides a check over. 

Or....

I'd consider  a call to Lincoln at A to Z Tractor in PA and get a couple of his pinch mount type hubs. 

New seals and a shift boot too. 

Or...

Find a good used replacement 4 speed.... or 8 speed complete with hubs.  

953 nut

:WRS:

You can probably buy replacement used axles and hub from Lincoln at A to Z.  https://www.a-ztractor.com/. This will require you to remove and open up the transmission. While you are at it this would be a good time to replace some bearings and seals. We hav some great rebuild tutorial threads on the transmission repairs.

• Like 2

squonk

AZ's hub will work. Or if you want to replace the axle. It's pretty easy. Take the trans out. Split it and the differential pulls right out. Then 4 bolts and a c clip and the axle is out

• Like 1

WHX??

If the keyways in the axles are good I can fix the hubs. Looks like you been abusing it for too long tho... shame on you. :naughty:

You more than likely have bad bearings leading to leaky seals leading to un brown welded hubs. 

Split the tranny and do it right gets my vote. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

You more than likely have bad bearings leading to ...... 

Well now there's a very good point. 

49 minutes ago, zmang82 said:

tractor

Have you jacked up the rear tire(s) and checked for loose wheel bearings?

• Like 1

WHX??

Or like Squonky says and get a set of Linc's finger trap hubs... which is the cats meow, but not gonna do a thing for shot bearings. Or hardened needles grinding in hardened axles. 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 3

JoeM

Not going to be cheap in anyway you go.

Might consider an ad in the wanted for a good transmission. Pretty sure that is a 1 inch axle unit you have....good time to upgrade to a 1 1/8" 8 pinion unit. Especially if using ground engaging stuff. 

• Like 4

ri702bill
9 hours ago, WHX?? said:

If the keyways in the axles are good I can fix the hubs. Looks like you been abusing it for too long tho... shame on you. :naughty:

You more than likely have bad bearings leading to leaky seals leading to un brown welded hubs. 

Split the tranny and do it right gets my vote. 

Agreed - boy do I hate to have to revisit a problem a second time only because I did not spend the time and money to see it thru correctly the first time.

If you do decide to open it up, drain it first!! What ends up in the drain pan can tell you a lot about the condition inside - milky fluid has water in it, loose needles from bearings means more expense.

You are looking at a minimum of one axle, one or two hubs, 4 seals, a case gasket  a shift boot, and 2 quarts of gear oil.

DO inspect the "F" plate of the frame  - where the four 3/8" bolts fasten the Unidrive to the frame. Plowing can cause cracks around those bolt holes. Fixable, but time consuming.... Probably easier, faster and cheaper to swap in a GOOD used later 4 speed as mentioned - gets you back in business and you can fix the original a bit later.  AND WELCOME to the Forum.

Bill

Edited by ri702bill
  • Excellent 1