Lil red rooster

1972 Raider 12 Oil Change

Lil red rooster

Hey All

I recently resurrected my neighbors Raider 12. I'm trying to figure out if I need to change the transmission oil. The manual stuff said "No Service Interval". can anyone tell me what that means?

Also I can't find info on how much oil it takes. And do I pour it in the dip stick spout? Sorry if these are dumb questions. I'm kinda new to this. Also I can't find whee I would drain and fill the transmission oil.

JAinVA

Drain plug is a standard pipe  plug at the bottom rear of the transmission case. Oil is put  at at the dip stick location. Pull the dip stick and check the oil level and color of the oil . If it is grey it has water in it and it needs to be replaced. Ninety weight oil is what it needs

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

gwest_ca

Drain plug is in the left rear corner on the bottom. It is a hex socket so requires an Allen wrench. May be full of dirt so clean it out and tap the wrench in to make sure it is well seated.

Plug should have a thread sealer applied when it goes back in. The plug is tapered so does not need to be real tight.

When you drain the oil best to lift the front of the  tractor up as there is a hump in the floor of the case - gets more oil out.

If you have the shifter out that is another good place to fill the oil.

2 page lubrication chart here - click on the fuzzy picture. Model 1-0311

• Like 2

JimSraj

I’d change it just because it’s 50 years old and you’ll get to see if there’s any water in there. You might also want to consider replacing the rubber boot on the shifter lever. Water finds its way into the transmission there.  

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Yes, all of the above advice.      Before adding the new gear oil, I would also do a flush.      Fill with kerosene or diesel fuel and drive it slowly in circles in all gears for a few minutes.

Then raise the front as high as safely possible and drain the solvent.         If the tractor is not running,  you can jack up the rear and rotate the wheels by hand to clean the gunk from the gears and bearings.      I have found the oil as thick as tar in some of these transmissions.    Some I have had to flush several times to get them clean.

• Excellent 1

Lil red rooster

Thank you all for the input and advice! Really appreciate it. Can you guys clarify where I refill transmission oil? There appears top be a plug under the seat. But it is difficult to get a wrench on. I see the drain plug for the transmission oil on the bottom left in the back.

Edited by Lil red rooster

rjg854

I like filling through the shifter hole. You need to remove it of course.

JimSraj

Filling thru the shifter hole sounds like a good idea although I’ve never done it. I can say that filling thru the pipe extension at the regular fill spot is slow and tedious, especially if the gear oil is cold. Just be careful with that dog point set screw if you choose to fill thru the shifter hole.