Shacker

B80 safety switch bypass

Shacker

B80 model 1 0140 9

I believe my safety switch on pto pedal is bad, no crank, no start, no spark.

new ignition

new points/ condensor

good plug

good battery

good solenoid

good starter

I would like to bypass the switch all together and just hardwire, is it as easy as cutting the wires and splicing together?

pacer
3 hours ago, Shacker said:

bypass the switch all together and just hardwire, is it as easy as cutting the wires and splicing together?

Very likely that simple, in fact it may work by just unplugging it .... but prolly will need a jumper wire -- no need to cut the wires just add a short jumper.

• Sad 1

953 nut

At Red Square it is our informal policy to strongly discourage the elimination of safety switches. When problems crop up it seems that many people automatically presume it is a safety switch, more often than not the problem is elsewhere.

5 hours ago, Shacker said:

new ignition   Was this replaced along with everything else or did you test the old one and find that it was faulty?

new points/ condensor   Are your points set properly to 0.020" and confirmed correct by Static Timing?

good plug   A plug can look good but not perform properly.

good battery   Have you taken the battery to an auto parts store and had it load tested? Have you cleaned and tightened all electrical connections including grounds?

good solenoid    Does it close when 12 volts is applied to the small terminal?

good starter     Does it turn over when 12 volts is applied to the small solenoid terminal?

Have you taken the two wires to the Amp Meter and joined them together?

Perhaps the owner manual wiring diagram can help.

Shacker

Wheel Horse is back running.

After putting the old solenoid back and and testing to see if I could bypass the safety switch(which I understand only to diagnose) it cranked over no spark. Keeping cranking at it while I had my trickle charger on, kept cranking then I started getting spark, weak then got darker and stronger.
Threw gas in fuel line and runs perfect.

Not quite sure what the issue was but almost like I just needed to talk about it on this forum and it comes alive.

Thanks for the manual, will have the Librarian print out a copy for me.

• Excellent 1

gwest_ca

• Like 1