Robby

PTO clutch won't turn

Robby

I have a 1992 520H.  When I engage the PTO clutch to mow the pulley turns slow and then stops and the motor will stall if I do not disengage.  I am looking at the diagram and I think that maybe one of the bearings must be gone.  My question is there just snap rings that holds this together?  Where could I find parts.  I welcome any ideas other than what I think is the problem.  Thanks

squonk

Could be the bearings in the PTO bell, Mule drive or deck. Remove the belts and see what's hard to turn.

• Like 2

oliver2-44
2 hours ago, squonk said:

Could be the bearings in the PTO bell, Mule drive or deck. Remove the belts and see what's hard to turn.

:text-yeahthat:

One of our vendors Wheel Horse Parts and More will have many of the parts you might need.

You can also take the existing bearings to an Industrial Bearing Supply and they will match them up.

Tractor Supply has good Kevlar belts

• Like 1

8ntruck

There are two sets of bearings in the PTO bell.  Ball bearings that support the 1" diameter stub shaft that applies pressure to the bell to engage the PTO.  With the PTO off, these bearings do not turn.  With the PTO on, these bearings do turn.  I think Toro still stocks these bearings.  Yes, these are retained by C clips.

The other bearing in the PTO bell is a roller bearing that runs on a race on the crank shaft.  This bearing turns when the PTO is off, and does not turn when the PTO is engaged.  

Start by checking the pulley bearings in the mule drive and making sure whatever you are trying to drive with the PTO turns freely.

Another possibility is that the PTO clutch lining is worn or that the clutch is out of adjustment.

Good luck.

lynnmor
43 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

Start by checking the pulley bearings in the mule drive and making sure whatever you are trying to drive with the PTO turns freely.

Yes, do this first.  In order to stall the engine, something is turning very hard.

Robby

Thank you for all the info.  The mower deck turns freely.  I believe the problem is in the PTO bell somewhere.  I am going to be tied up for the next couple of weeks and won't be able to get to it till after.  I will let you know how it goes and probably will have a lot more questions.  Again thank you