Searcher60

8 Speed Manual Ops..

Searcher60

Hello everybody! One question, When shifting between high and low range, WH 8 speed, why on some tractors does the clutch have to be eased out to get it to go into gear? Sometimes does that also when just shifting between gears. Nuisance especially if it does not have the bear anti grab cylinder. It’s not normal either. Thanks. 

morePEdal

Just got a 416-8 and my shifting can be difficult at times with what you said. Is this normal?

stevasaurus

Shifting between Hi and Low range involves a small fork gear and a fragile fork.  The fork can wear, bend and even break one of the forks.  If it still shifts, it is not broke, but it could be one or both of the other two.  At this point, it is important to be at a complete stop and, using your feet to rock the horse back and forth a little, will usually work and save any more wear on those parts.  Double clutching may also ease the selection for you.  :eusa-think:

DSCF9234.JPG.f64fc2f1e662f3fe13dc52612ff4db08.JPG

DSCF9230.JPG.4ab9b285caf50d8b5f25084ac5d857da.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

rmaynard

When shifting between gears, the tractor must come to a complete stop. There are no synchronizers in the transmission to prevent grinding. Also, while you are stopped, make sure the drive belt is stopped as well.  

• Like 2

jrc0528

It's a lot like shifting my old S10 between 4WD-HI and 4WD-LO...  you can't do it while moving but it often won't do it stopped.  The problem is that there are no synchros (these allow shifting beween gears on the fly by matching the speed of the gears prior to fully shifting into gear).  You are attempting to move a gear from mating with one side to the other side, but the teeth will often not fully line up.  When they don't line up you feel it as not going into gear (teeth on adjacent gears are hitting on their sides instead of sliding past each other).  This can often be easily remedied by either allowing the tractor to slowly roll (I shifted the S10 while creeping very slowly) or by allowing the input to slowly rotate (much harder to do with a belt clutch, you DON't want any quick movement here!).  I will either double clutch and try again or lightly press into gear while very slowly letting off the clutch until the belt begins to creep slightly.    

• Like 1