Sign in to follow this  
eibbed

1971 Raider 10 mower deck

eibbed

Gentlemen,

This is probably a very elementary question, but I am at a loss.

I'm looking for a mower deck for my Raider 10, and naturally I don't want to buy one that will not work on my tractor.

The owners manual lists three different size rotary mowers and gives their part numbers. I am assuming that these aren't the only mowers that will work on my tractor. Please let me know if this assumption is correct and if so, what criteria should I look for when purchasing one.

Thanks,

Dave

TT

The four "original" mower decks offered for your tractor would be a 36" cut 3 blade (side or rear discharge), a 42" cut side discharge 3 blade, and a 48" cut side discharge 3 blade. Your tractor would be the (one & only) year for the big & bulky belt tensioner bracketry that bolts to the front of the frame.

With the addition of the front accessory "conversion" hitch and the corresponding deck belt tensioner ~ a.k.a. - "mule drive" (a newer style mid hitch is personally recommended too), you can use mowers designed for the standard Attach-Matic garden tractors built from 1972 to 2008. (C series, 300/400/500, etc.) Exceptions would be the 37" 2 blade deck and the 60" 3 blade deck.

ragman

I have a raider 10 with the 36" cut 3 blade (rear discharge) and the bulky belt tensioner bracketry.The deck spindles do not have lubrication fittings and there does not seem any easy way to lubricate them. It is still working after 40 years but getting tired.

I would recommend you get a deck that has grease fittings and a mule drive for a simpler and better belt managment.

Doubletrouble

Not trying to hi-jack the thread here but I'm curious. Could someone post pics of the 2 different belt tension systems? I think I have the old one you mentioned, not sure. And if you do have the old style can you change it over?

perry

i have a raider 10 deck, but im located in MI. are you going to the MI wheel horse show ?.

ragman

My raider 10 has a spring that tightens the belt, and my 414-8 has a mule tensioner that applies pressure to the belt by tightening a screw mechanism.

I took a picture of both my machines at the tensioners and will try to post them later.

Have not posted pictures before.

Tried to put the 414-8 mule tensioner on the raider 10 today and found it cannot be done.

eibbed

Hey guys,

Pictures would be great.

Terry I think I may have the front attachment that you referred to in your post. I took it off of a 1971 Workhorse 800 that I recently parted out. I'll try to get it mounted this evening or tomorrow and post a picture.

Thanks for the offer Perry, but I won't be going to the MI Wheel Horse Show. I don't drive across the river to St. Louis unless I have a doctors appointment or something more important like a Wheelhorse for sale.

I have good news. I got her running today for the first time. :thumbs2:

I really appreciate all the help.

Thank you all,

Dave

Perry

mcwh1950

dave glad you got it running today. what tt is talking about is this

hitch.jpg

it is call a front hitch model number 85551 build in 1973

Doubletrouble

Ok I think I get the differences now. I have the old spring style.

like this, sorry I don't have a close up pic.

031.jpg

eibbed

Hey guys,

Here's what I've got. I guess it's the old spring style. If I understand correctly, that limits me to only the four specific decks originally designed to work on my tractor. However, as Terry recommended, I will need to either find a "conversion" hitch with corresponding mule drive or fabricate one to be able to use most decks built from 1972 to 2008.

Thanks for everyones help.

Dave

DSC05634.jpg

ragman

Hey guys,

Here's what I've got. I guess it's the old spring style. If I understand correctly, that limits me to only the four specific decks originally designed to work on my tractor. However, as Terry recommended, I will need to either find a "conversion" hitch with corresponding mule drive or fabricate one to be able to use most decks built from 1972 to 2008.

Thanks for everyones help.

Dave

DSC05634.jpg

The mule drive may work on your machine if you can bolt the 85551 hitch to your frame.

wheel horse 1045
DSCN0627.jpgthese are what i have on my raider when i use the newer mower decks and it works great. so you can swap to a quick attach as well

eibbed

Gentlemen,

From all of your helpful comments and suggestions, here's where I"m at so far.

I won a Wheel Horse Commando 800 Tractor Front Tach-a-matic on Ebay this weekend and should receive it in a week or so. TT I will adapt it to mount to the front end using your excellent step by step illustrations.

Today I traded for a 36" rear discharge Wheel Horse mower deck #05-36MR01. I think it is a 1982. Will this deck work on my tractor? I know that technically all of the clippings should be coming out of the rear of the deck, but will the additional side discharge hurt anything functionally?

Thanks,

Dave

DSC05671.jpg

TT

That deck should be fine under your Raider. It might be a little easier if you had the mid-hitch like the one in the post above yours, but you can get by with the old "close and pin" style for now. (the newer mid-hitch will bolt to the existing frame holes)

I'm curious if the person who converted the deck to side discharge actually closed off the rear of the deck. There really isn't much of a difference between side and rear discharge on that particular style of deck - other than the obvious side discharge opening and chute and the added semi-circular baffles behind the blades.

eibbed

Terry,

Be curious no longer. As you can see from the picture, they didn't close off the rear of the deck. It does however have the opening, chute and baffles you referred to in your recent post.

I think now I will pursue acquiring a mid-hitch like the one pictured above my last post. If anyone has a mid tach-a-matic they can part with, please PM me. On second thought, I think I may have one. I'll check out in the barn in the morning.

:thumbs2: I think I'm starting to get the picture. Again, thank you all.

Dave

DSC05676.jpg

eibbed

Gentleman,

I don't have an Attach-a-matic but I have this Tach-a-matic. Can I use it instead? If I can use it, does it bolt in the location where the existing Tach-a-matic that is bent out with the small pulley on it is located?

Actually, I don't really know what the Tach-a-matic with the small pulley on it is for, and would greatly appreciate some information on its function also.

Thanks,

Dave

DSC05680.jpg

mcwh1950

I don't have an Attach-a-matic but I have this Tach-a-matic. Can I use it instead? If I can use it, does it bolt in the location where the existing Tach-a-matic that is bent out with the small pulley on it is located?

yes this is just a older one.

but before i would go any far .are you going to have to get another muffler or move it. i would due like wheel horse 1045 did.

travisg84

That is a pic of the mid mount tach-a-matic that is where the deck will attach. The one for the "mule drive" is shaped different.

wheel horse 1045

that will work, and TT thats a stock side discharge deck because i have the same one except mine dosent have grease inserts.

TT

TT thats a stock side discharge deck because i have the same one

The model number Dave posted is 05-36MR01 which is a Rear discharge deck. Not sure if it's the wrong tag or a different shell, but that's what I went by before I saw the underside of the deck. :thumbs: 05-36MSXX would be a side discharge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dave...... your "original" mid-hitch was for use with the 42 & 48 inch decks and the angled idler pulley was part of the deck drive belt tensioner arrangement.

Tach-A-Matic and Attach-Matic are one in the same -- just a name change over the years and the minor upgrade of an external release handle on the mid-hitch on the newest version. (no more potential pinched fingers :thumbs2: )

eibbed

Thanks TT. I'll replace the "original" mid hitch with the one I found in the barn. I've never used one of these tach-amatics, but I see what you mean about potentially "pinched fingers".

TT, I'm glad you were curious about the deck, and WH 1045 I'm glad you said you have a factory one like it. I thought for sure a PO had modified a rear discharge.

WH 1045 I think I only have a portion of your post, and mcwh1950 suggested I do like you did with your muffler. I would like to see what you have done, but for some reason, I only have one picture and below it the last of a sentence which reads as follows; "are what i have on my raider when i use newer mower decks and it works great. so you can swap to a quick attach as well"

Thanks again guys. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Dave

mcwh1950

dave maybe i should if said will you have to get another muffler for you raider if you you a differ front hitch, because you muffler look like it would hit the front if the hitch if you try to use one like i showed in the picture. maybe wheelhorse 1045 can get some picture of his hood up to the deck

wheel horse 1045

yes eibbed you can, the only thing you will need is the fatter lift rod like in my picture because the hole on the newer stlye deck is larger and TT i didnt realize thats what you ment but i shoulda known ,sorry TT