Canadaman

1997 Wheel Horse 520-H Model 73502 brake setup...?

Canadaman

Hello from the North!   I'm brand new here and just bought a 1997 Wheel Horse 520-H at a farm auction. Was told it was driven out of the shed and onto a trailer however, when I went to load it, there were no brakes and it drifted backwards with no forward or reverse.  Figured it just needed some adjustments as the tractor is in great shape, and runs like a top. (600 hrs) I have the service & op manuals from Toro however, I cannot find any photos/videos of the correct brake & linkage position.

It appears to have the original 3/8-16 x 4 1/2" bolt as spec, (Ref# 15 - Part# 323-23)  however it seems a bit too long, and not enough thread left to tighten up. There looks like enough meat on the brake band but its not grabbing the drum. Could the spring have become compressed from sitting in a locked position, or should I add a bushing/washers to take up some slack?  or is the brake band just worn down too far? Something doesn't look right or feel right. Any suggestions? Much appreciated.

IMG_9925.JPG

IMG_9928.JPG

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:

Everything on the brake system appears to be correct.  The brake peddle has to travel further forward to set the motion controller from reverse to neutral so if the spring is tightened too much it won't come out of reverse. The manual has a lot of good information on operating the Eaton 1100.  

There is a belt tensioner on the motion controller, to go forward you move the shift lever up and back toward you to position let the transaxle to operate. 

810530244_Screenshot(132).png.b7c13037fa7431290433e45051f97214.png

Edited by 953 nut
I goofed, sorry!
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell

Put the spring on the other side under the nut and washer.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
12 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Put the spring on the other side under the nut and washer.

Ed, you are so correct.                 :bow-blue:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

rmaynard

Screenshot_20230424-211527-305.png.14892549e145a31abe30031f0157ed9e.png

• Like 2

oliver2-44

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Looks like some of the 520/Eaton owners have you pointed in the right direction.

Lots of friendly help here, (and some time a little friendly ribbing)

I realize you just got this horse, and like any filly they like a good wash and rub down!

So just an FYI, looks like there is a lot of built up dirt, grass, crud around the rear of that horse.

The Eaton transmissions benefit from a good cleaning which helps them with cooling.  (Pulling the seat and rear fender pan helps with a good cleaning.

Also the motion control forward/reverse linkage can get blocked from moving full travel if there is a lot of crud in the tunnel area under/in front of the seat.

Also the Onan engine really benefits from the fins under the tins being kept clean (especially the rear cylinder)

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 2

Horse Newbie

Looks like you scored a great tractor at auction price because a PO put the brake assembly hardware in the wrong order…

then turned around and said, “ It can’t be fixed “

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

Oh, and…

:text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs: !!!!!!

• Like 1