upstate yank

1970 wheel horse

upstate yank

well guys I am back with another issue ;today I was mowing the yard that's right as the grass is starting to grow but during the time  mowing the deck belt came off ;so while putting it back on the pulleys and the electric clutch I noticed a gas leak ;first I thought it was a gas line but but it seemed that gas was coming out thru the air breather if that is what you call it as I really don't much about these motors a 12 horse kohler it  is attached to the block under the carburetor and wow did it pour out ;would some how it got plugged or something serious ;any thoughts sure would be help full ;as most know that I did tell most that my wife passed away back on the 8th day of  December I am trying hard to move on but really it is tough as after 51 years together  the lost really hurts ; but I am trying hard to move on ;I have so many pictures of her but the one that I will always hold to my heart was when we walked out of the church and she had the biggest smile on her face as she always had a great smile' sure pictures are great memories though the years but it would be so great to get a hug or a kiss again 'but she is gone and one day I will have to come to terms with it ; anyways if anyone knows the issue with the gas pouring out I sure would appreciate it 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Heart 1

rmaynard

I'd guess that the float is stuck in the carburetor. A quick clean and rebuild should fix it.

• Like 2

rjg854

Sorry for your loss, @upstate yank

Ed Kennell

Is the crankase full of fuel?

• Excellent 1

Sailman

So sorry for your loss. Praying for the Holy Spirit to comfort you. Can't take away the memories and your wife will always be there for you.

Sounds like you could have something blocking the needle valve (small spec of trash) in the carburetor or the float valve is stuck. The carbs on those old Kohlers are pretty easy to service.

• Heart 2

upstate yank
20 hours ago, rmaynard said:

I'd guess that the float is stuck in the carburetor. A quick clean and rebuild should fix it.

thanks for the reply and it seems that it is alright now as I sprayed some car cleaner in the front while it was running and the fuel stopped spitting out ;time will tell as it could of been a small piece of dirt that for lodged 

• Like 3

Blasterdad

CHANGE THE OIL BEFORE YOU RUN IT AGAIN !!!

Otherwise you'll be starting a new post titled "1970 Wheel Horse engine seized up". :scared-eek:

• Excellent 2

Marv

Right there with you. Love of my life went to heaven on 17 February after 65 years together. It is tough.

Marv

• Sad 1

upstate yank
On 4/14/2023 at 6:16 AM, Blasterdad said:

CHANGE THE OIL BEFORE YOU RUN IT AGAIN !!!

Otherwise you'll be starting a new post titled "1970 Wheel Horse engine seized up". :scared-eek:

sorry as the oil was changed before this happened 

• Confused 1

upstate yank
On 5/12/2023 at 1:43 AM, upstate yank said:

sorry as the oil was changed before this happened 

4 sure I will not start it ;and yep I really don't need a bad motor ;thanks 

upstate yank
On 4/14/2023 at 7:06 PM, Marv said:

Right there with you. Love of my life went to heaven on 17 February after 65 years together. It is tough.

Marv

sorry for the delay back  and yes you are so right it is really hard to adjust with out her even if it has been 5 months sad that so many tell us that things will get better in time well I really don't think so what is odd to me is that her sister a few years older than her passed away back in July then her youngest brother passed in November; and my wife the 8th day of December all in the same year ; shorty after she passed one night in bed 2 women dressed in pure white appeared ;though there faces were not visible ;so I really think that the one was my wife the other of our late daughter who was killed here by a drunk driver back in 01 ;so I take it as a sign that they are together and both are pain free ; pictures are great as I have so many even on our wedding day and she had that biggest smile as she always had ;'again pictures are great memories but it would be so great to be able to hold them or even a kiss 'I always told her that I loved her from day one and even still today and I will always love you ;she would always say the things back with a hug and a kiss ; after 51 years it is so hard to let go ;but when my time comes I will join them well at least I hope ;she was always and still will be the love of my life ; 

upstate yank

well guys here is the million dollar question; as I really appreciate your thoughts ;

having 3 carburetors . one that came with it and always ran fine un till the gas issue ;the 2nd carb was a used one that came off a 12 horse the seller did say it was fine as no issues ;then yes the evil bay as we call it a brand new one which is  China made ;so really how can 3 go bad ;

according to some members explain that it could be the fuel pump ; as the old saying goes we can spend 100 dollars then find out the problem was a 5 dollar part ;so to narrow  down this gas issue is a head scratcher ;a new carb from a dealer  whom I have chatted with says he has one for a little over a 100 bucks so if I was to buy that and not the problem than it falls back on a new fuel pump ;so I am caught between a rock and a hard place ;and again as the old saying goes you are dam if you do and dam if you don't to all that has replied in the past thank you ;and if some really don't know it is a 12 horse electro with the kohler motor ;so again any thoughts sure would be appreciated 

953 nut

If the gas in the oil situation was coming from the fuel pump that can be verified as true by removing the fuel pump, connecting a low pressure air supply (5 psi) to the inlet and pulsing your finger on and off at the outlet. If the diaphragm is leaking air will be coming out of it. I doubt that it is the problem but that will tell you for sure.