pfrederi

Fuel Line

pfrederi

Based on discussions here a few years ago that the black neoprene fuel lines were bad I bought some yellow line Tygon fuel line and put it on several horses.  Apparently it was not a good choice.. after a few years exposed to fuel the stuff shrinks and gets very hard.  .Note the difference between the pump to carb line and an unused piece of the tygon.  I know several are now using the blue stuff....but has anyone 2 or three years experience with it does it harden up also????  (I have never had any issues with the neoprene line I got from McMaster.)

IMG_0773.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

ebinmaine

I tried using the yellow stuff for one year. Noticed that shrinkage almost immediately.

I switched over to the Blue Line made by Stens. 

I've had that on Cinnamon for 3 years now and it too is due for replacement.

I really do like the idea of being able to see the fuel in the line but I can't honestly recommend. 

Either the yellow Tygon or the blue Stens line...

• Like 3

ebinmaine

Thought about switching over to clear line but I've read that it can be a problem with gasoline as well

• Like 1

formariz

Tried twice with the yellow and blue lines. really not impressed with them. They will deteriorate  right at the connection with time and get hard. Also regular spring clamps are too big for them. As a routine maintenance item I inspect and change lines anyway if needed. So far for the flexibility and durability I stick with the black neoprene lines. Not that it is a concern for me but they also look better. If one does regular maintenance there is no need to reinvent the wheel.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

squonk

When all this discussion about lines went on a few years I mentioned this very fact that the plastic lines get brittle. Then along with the chinzy wire clamps they would leak. I got laughed at by more than one member and they shall go nameless but the Squonk never forgets! :violence-blades:

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, squonk said:

When all this discussion about lines went on a few years I mentioned this very fact that the plastic lines get brittle. Then along with the chinzy wire clamps they would leak. I got laughed at by more than one member and they shall go nameless but the Squonk never forgets! :violence-blades:

I laugh at you for lots and lots of reasons. 

😜

I do definitely appreciate the clamps you recommended a couple years ago and we've been using them on everything.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

formariz
44 minutes ago, squonk said:

Never doubt the Squonk. There is a lot of wisdom and experience hidden in such mystical creature . The three “L’s” rule applies here.  Look, listen ,learn. 

Edited by formariz
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 3

squonk
55 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I laugh at you for lots and lots of reasons. 

😜

I do definitely appreciate the clamps you recommended a couple years ago and we've been using them on everything.  

:hilarious:                       :banana-wrench:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

pfrederi

This is not my day for tubing.  I have a 175k Mr Heater torpedo unit about 4 years old.  Went to use it and it sputtered didn't run well and shut itself off.  Some disassembly and research revealed the rubber hose from the air pump to the burner had dry rotted and cracked open in several places. The fuel line from the tank to the burner was also dried out and cracked but not leaking.  replaced with some neoprene fuel line and all is better.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

kpinnc
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Thought about switching over to clear line but I've read that it can be a problem with gasoline as well

Can't speak for all but the clear I've used was garbage. Turns opaque yellowish in a matter of weeks. If you cut it at the end to reuse it, it just breaks.

I'm guessing rubber trees are endangered? :wacko:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

kpinnc
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Noticed that shrinkage almost immediately.

Must ... Resist.... Comment.... So.... Difficult....  :lol::lol::lol::lol:

• Haha 7

ri702bill
2 hours ago, pfrederi said:

replaced with some neoprene fuel line and all is better.

For now.... In this day & age, it needs to go on the SEMI-ANNUAL spring-fall checklist.....

• Like 2

ebinmaine
28 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

For now.... In this day & age, it needs to go on the SEMI-ANNUAL spring-fall checklist.....

Yeah.... It kinda does... 

• Like 2

formariz
50 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

Must ... Resist.... Comment.... So.... Difficult....  :lol::lol::lol::lol:

No need to be hesitant about it. It’s a normal and expected thing for shrinkage to be happening to our hoses when they reach that age. Again the idea is not to try and reinvent the wheel with modern solutions. Stick with the original stuff and inspect it frequently. 

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 7

daveoman1966

Same exp with clear lines...brittle in a few months.  I now use the high-pressure line from an old car engine.  No issues for 3 or 4 years now. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

kpinnc
1 hour ago, formariz said:

No need to be hesitant about it. It’s a normal and expected thing for shrinkage to be happening to our hoses when they reach that age. Again the idea is not to try and reinvent the wheel with modern solutions. Stick with the original stuff and inspect it frequently.

And avoid cold water. :lol:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 7

Horse Newbie
6 hours ago, formariz said:

no need to reinvent the wheel

:text-+1:

• Like 3

Pullstart
9 hours ago, formariz said:

The three “L’s” rule applies here.  Look, listen ,learn. 

Glad there’s no smell L rule!

oliver2-44
10 hours ago, formariz said:

Squonk.
such mystical creature .

The three “L’s” rule applies here.  Look, listen ,learn. 

For all these years I’ve read lots of batter about a Squonk. Never met one, so never understood. 
Then in one fell swoop the world was enlightened to him being a “Mystical Creature”

I feel so much better now!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Bill D

I just buy a 25' roll of 1/4" fuel line from my local fastener supply house.  $20 and made in the USA.  Thermoid brand 30R7 fuel hose.  Never had a problem with it.

Edited by Bill D
  • Like 5

Lagersolut
7 hours ago, Bill D said:

I just buy a 25' roll of 1/4" fuel line from my local fastener supply house.  $20 and made in the USA.  I forget what brand.  Never had a problem with it.

I can't seem to find a local place that carries the standard 1/4" ID black rubber fuel line - years ago the local ( long gone ) hardware stores had a roll . Get mine by the foot on Flea Bay. Same here - never had an issue with it . Neighbor just bought a non running Troy built horse last week - long story short Ethanol destroyed the fuel line and new carburetor previous owner installed which is why it wouldn't start .

• Like 1

Brockport Bill
10 hours ago, Bill D said:

I just buy a 25' roll of 1/4" fuel line from my local fastener supply house.  $20 and made in the USA.  I forget what brand.  Never had a problem with it.

Bill -- are you referring to Sarjo's?

• Like 1

Bill D
1 hour ago, Brockport Bill said:

Bill -- are you referring to Sarjo's?

Yes, Sarjo's fastener supply.

• Like 1

RED-Z06

Tygon line was a scam, to me...when it came on the scene nationally around 2004ish, it was supposed to be the end-all be-all fuel line that resisted heat, UV exposure, ethanol, and time.  What we found was, it was none of that..you get up to about a year out of it; it gets rigid and cracks. Stens blue line, is slightly better but suffers from a different type of failure that frankly scares the hell out of me...it just dissolves, or disintegrates, it falls apart even when not exposed to UV light.  The plastic line you see on Amazon...same kind of issue, it shrinks and breaks.

Ive gone to normal rubber lines, either briggs brand or goodyear, triple layer...its more expensive yes but, it lasts.  

• Like 3

squonk
On 3/25/2023 at 8:51 AM, Lagersolut said:

I can't seem to find a local place that carries the standard 1/4" ID black rubber fuel line - years ago the local ( long gone ) hardware stores had a roll . Get mine by the foot on Flea Bay. Same here - never had an issue with it . Neighbor just bought a non running Troy built horse last week - long story short Ethanol destroyed the fuel line and new carburetor previous owner installed which is why it wouldn't start .

Napa belts and Hose #  H175 1/4" Fuel and Evaporative Emissions hose

• Like 1