Wheel Horse 3D

c-141hard to start

Wheel Horse 3D

Did a carb adjust by manual last fall and ever since Dug has been cantankerous about starting. Before the adjustment would fire right up,but was running at high idle constantly with almost no variance with the throttle. Which adjustment would ya'll recommend tweaking? I can't keep the process in my head for some reason unless I've got the procedure in front of me

OutdoorEnvy

A couple ideas here to consider:  First a carb cleaning might be needed, and especially the high jet needle.  Sometimes moving them after they have set in same place a while could loosen debris particles that could have clogged something up a little.  Other idea is did you check the settings prior to adjusting?  I usual make note of the current settings if it's running normal in case I have to go back to it.  Some engines are thirstier than others so the manual adjustments usually get you started, I'm guessing it's around 1.5 turns out each or something.  But those are probably determined with a newer engine, and not one with hundreds or thousands of hours.  I adjust mine by giving it what the engine wants and then leave it.  I usually do full throttle and adjust the high jet first.  Then throttle down and adjust the low idle jet and than the idle screw. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

@Wheel Horse 3D  have a fuel filter on that?  use any fuel treatment ? ever drop the carb bowl ? sounds like an over due carb statis checkover. do you keep your fuel tank full?   agree with @OutdoorEnvy  above , on the process. pete   

• Like 1

Wheel Horse 3D

have a filter, checks good. Keep tank full till winter then i run it out. Bowl could definately be a possibiity, gotta crank and crank, and get the throtttle and choke just right. A priming bulb might be a good addition. Just was doing so well before I tweaked it lol. I just didn't like idling that high.

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D

Wheel Horse 3D

i usually use the non ethanol fuel , and put a little seafoam or somethin in when I run it out at the end of the season.

HIGH...LOW...IDLE gotta pound that into my brain.

ri702bill
44 minutes ago, OutdoorEnvy said:

A couple ideas here to consider:  First a carb cleaning might be needed, and especially the high jet needle.  Sometimes moving them after they have set in same place a while could loosen debris particles that could have clogged something up a little.  Other idea is did you check the settings prior to adjusting?  I usual make note of the current settings if it's running normal in case I have to go back to it.  Some engines are thirstier than others so the manual adjustments usually get you started, I'm guessing it's around 1.5 turns out each or something.  But those are probably determined with a newer engine, and not one with hundreds or thousands of hours.  I adjust mine by giving it what the engine wants and then leave it.  I usually do full throttle and adjust the high jet first.  Then throttle down and adjust the low idle jet and than the idle screw. 

High speed jet needle---- is hollow and has 2 tiny, tiny holes in it. It is the air bleed for the high speed mix, as well as the fuel. Over time the upper hole gets covered, perhaps closed off, reducing the amount of air going in. NOT all high speed mixture screws are the same - depends on carb size... An ultrasonic cleaner does wonders with it - blow it out with low pressure compressed air when done cleaning.

• Like 1

peter lena

@Wheel Horse 3D  good response on this , ideas , think a priming bulb  would be a simple easy addition , agree with the detailed cleaning of jets , I  use STA BIL  fuel treatment in all my stuff , use it year round , never drain my gas out . just me . also gas tanks over time pick up debris , have 2 filters on my horses , one close to tank , other close to carb , that combo has stopped any crud build up . not a difficult fix , good luck with it , pete

• Thanks 1

Wheel Horse 3D

gotta pull that seat pan for a 2" lift anyway. Good time to add a couple inline additions!

• Like 2

peter lena

@Wheel Horse 3D  if you find excess crud in your tank , a valve pullout , and refresh isn't that hard to do , I  personally use dielectric grease on the rubber grommet / valve installation , made for dissimilar rubber/ metal / plastic joining . makes the grommet fit  , valve installation, much easier . pete 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

Is this a Carter carburetor that came on the Wheel Horse or a Chinese knock-off? The knock-offs can have wrong parts in them that make them very touchy to adjust.

When they list them for 10,12,14 and 16 HP engines that is a dead giveaway that they will never work right.

• Like 3

Sailman
7 hours ago, ri702bill said:

High speed jet needle---- is hollow and has 2 tiny, tiny holes in it. It is the air bleed for the high speed mix, as well as the fuel. Over time the upper hole gets covered, perhaps closed off, reducing the amount of air going in. NOT all high speed mixture screws are the same - depends on carb size... An ultrasonic cleaner does wonders with it - blow it out with low pressure compressed air when done cleaning.

I have found a useful trick to clean those tiny holes in the high speed jet. Strip some 12-2 electric cable down to the bare wire from one wire, carefully pull the strands of copper wire apart and use 1 strand to poke the hole followed by compressed air. Been using that trick on small motor carb jets.

• Excellent 3

Wheel Horse 3D
19 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Is this a Carter carburetor that came on the Wheel Horse or a Chinese knock-off? The knock-offs can have wrong parts in them that make them very touchy to adjust.

When they list them for 10,12,14 and 16 HP engines that is a dead giveaway that they will never work right.

It's the Walbro version rather than Carter, but original stock carb.

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D

Wheel Horse 3D
17 hours ago, Sailman said:

Strip some electric cable down 

I've got acess to just about every size type of electrical conductor up to about 2ga lol I'll find somethin that fits. I might actually have a drill small enough to gently finger through.

Wheel Horse 3D

Did a warm up and tweak this afternoon. I think "somehow" I inverted high and low mixture adjustments!:hide: After redoing everything I have nice throttle range and full choke range(imagine that!) I'll let everything cool overnight and see how a cold start goes tomorrow.

Really amazing how well it ran even so outta whack!

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D
  • Like 2

peter lena

@Wheel Horse 3D  found my greatest gains on issues is detailing in intended function , how does it work ? what related areas are hanging it up ?  that carb breakdown referral has helped me . now go on to related rusty linkage areas , wire connections , etc  regular check overs will often show you the way , pete  

• Thanks 1

Wheel Horse 3D

First crank cold start, and my original high idle issue is resolved! Amazing how well it works when ya twist the right screw for the right adjustment!

• Excellent 2

953 nut
21 hours ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

I inverted high and low mixture adjustments!:hide: After redoing everything I have nice throttle range and full choke range(imagine that!)

You are not alone, truth be told we have all done things like that.

• Like 1