ANTPER

C 101 Wiring Mystery 1979

ANTPER

Hi Folks

I have two leads coming off my starter solenoid. Black and white and when touch together I get cranking which I understand. I just not sure where there where should be  installed. I bought tractor with leads hanging out. C101 wiring sheets don't show those leads. The ignition switch harness is filled except for one spot and that spot is hot but loses hot in start mode. The ignition will shut off engine as it should be but obviously solenoid will not get the signal with these 2 leads flapping in the breeze. I'm thinking they plug into a safety switch I'm not seeing? Now also noticed the engine will start without me sitting on seat or without pressing clutch in. Wondering if previous owner by passed the safety switches. This is probably a np brainer for you WH Vets.. TIA

953 nut

The seat switch has nothing to do with the starter solenoid on a 1979 model. The power leaving the "S" terminal of your ignition switch goes to half of the PTO switch and continues on through the clutch switch to the small terminal of the solenoid as a red wire. @BOB ELLISON did a colored drawing of the wiring for a "C" series.

1501369310_Bobswiringdiagram.jpg.39589590694755a07c2bcb89b9714f1a.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

gwest_ca

Look for a switch that is activated by the clutch pedal or linkage when the clutch is applied.

Part number 106768 Neutral push-button replaced by 107635

• Like 2

rmaynard

If you have an oem solenoid, there should only be one small wire coming from it that goes to the ammeter, and one small wire going to the S lug of the ignition switch. That wire goes through the PTO safety switch, and the clutch pedal switch. Here is a wiring diagram for your tractor. 78/79's are different than the 77's and older.

image.thumb.png.d52fa70e7786ae863ccd540fa125cc8b.png

ANTPER
7 hours ago, 953 nut said:

The seat switch has nothing to do with the starter solenoid on a 1979 model. The power leaving the "S" terminal of your ignition switch goes to half of the PTO switch and continues on through the clutch switch to the small terminal of the solenoid as a red wire. @BOB ELLISON did a colored drawing of the wiring for a "C" series.

1501369310_Bobswiringdiagram.jpg.39589590694755a07c2bcb89b9714f1a.jpg

Thanks. I have that same diagram and doesnt show the black and white signal wires coming off my solenoid. Wires are under a foot long so the connection has to be in that vincinity. I gotta crawl uner the chassis, Hidden out my sight? Maybe I'll load up a picture of wjat i got in front of me.

ANTPER
2 hours ago, rmaynard said:

If you have an oem solenoid, there should only be one small wire coming from it that goes to the ammeter, and one small wire going to the S lug of the ignition switch. That wire goes through the PTO safety switch, and the clutch pedal switch. Here is a wiring diagram for your tractor. 78/79's are different than the 77's and older.

image.thumb.png.d52fa70e7786ae863ccd540fa125cc8b.png

Ok I'll start but looking for those switches. PTO interlock is the one mounted right next to the battery. The pedal switch I havent been able to spot yet

ANTPER
7 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Look for a switch that is activated by the clutch pedal or linkage when the clutch is applied.

Part number 106768 Neutral push-button replaced by 107635

That Clutch pedal switch is no where in site. I've looked all along the pedal and linkage. I'll keep digging for photos of one on a 101 on web possibly

gwest_ca

I think item 10 is the switch you are looking for. The flat spring steel bar is between the switch button and the linkage.

https://www.partstree.com/models/91-10k802-c-101-toro-lawn-tractor-1979/electrical-system-single-cylinder-models-except-c-111-8/

Item 8 ball switch is another possibility but think it is for the pto clutch.

Wheel Horse published very few service manuals but this is one of them

• Like 1

953 nut
3 hours ago, ANTPER said:

doesnt show the black and white signal wires coming off my solenoid.

They don't show up because they weren't there when the C 101 left the factory. What terminals on the solenoid are they connected to?

ANTPER
7 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

They don't show up because they weren't there when the C 101 left the factory. What terminals on the solenoid are they connected to?

Black wire is hooked up to hot side of solenoid with + Battery cable coming in. Then the white is hooked up to the center terminal. I touch them together engine cracks. The ignition switch will not crank engine.

These 2 leads were hooked up somewhere as they have terminal end connectors.

953 nut

Those two wires may have been connected to a push button for the starter. Probably the new ignition switch will correct the problem and you can get rid of those two wires.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ANTPER
1 minute ago, 953 nut said:

Those two wires may have been connected to a push button for the starter. Probably the new ignition switch will correct the problem and you can get rid of those two wires.

I was getting ready to throw in the towel and just install a push button switch in the head light switch hole and attach those leads lol. Ok so the previous  owner jerry ring it as he didnt wanna buy an ignition switch fore it!! Ok are the ignition switches readily available at auto parts store or better off Toro location?

• Like 1

953 nut

A 103-990 ignition switch should be on the shelf at any lawnmower shop or auto parts store. Home Depot, Tractor Supply and Lowe's are likely to have them too. Do an online search with your Zip code first.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ANTPER

I'll try that new Ignition switch and report back. Thanks Gentlemen

• Thanks 1

ANTPER
On 3/16/2023 at 8:03 PM, 953 nut said:

A 103-990 ignition switch should be on the shelf at any lawnmower shop or auto parts store. Home Depot, Tractor Supply and Lowe's are likely to have them too. Do an online search with your Zip code first.

Ok Turns out wasn't the Ign switch. The red wire out of switch to solenoid must of had a break in it somewhere. ran new wire and good to go. So it seams the previous owner just added the black and gray wire to manually touch them together to crank instead of repairing correctly. It really threw me off. Thanks again on tips

Edited by ANTPER
  • Thanks 1