Wayne0

A different seat switch question

Wayne0

When I back my 520H up the ramp and into my shed, I have to crank my head around to see where I'm going. When I do that, I take weight off the seat and the motor cuts out.

Has anyone wired in a switch to bypass the seat switch? I don't want to eliminate it for safety reasons.

The only other option would be mirrors, which would look hokey.

ri702bill

Wayne - that switch is the NO (Normally Open) variety. You sitting on the seat Closes it - for safety reasons. My C81 has a switch that the body is threaded, mounts thru a clearance hole and has jam nuts above and below. There is a small amount of adjustability - check to see if yours is like that.

Bill

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, Wayne0 said:

I take weight off the seat and the motor cuts out.

My seat switches only kill the engines if the PTO is engaged.

I leave  my tractors running all the time as I'm off and on loading wood.     312, 417 2-520s.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don
2 hours ago, Wayne0 said:

When I back my 520H up the ramp and into my shed, I have to crank my head around to see where I'm going. When I do that, I take weight off the seat and the motor cuts out.

I have the same experience as Ed and Bill for 520-H, 312-H, and 310-8 -- dismounting with the PTO disengaged lets the engine keep running.

If your PTO lever is pulled fully back and the cutout is still happening, then I think it’s time for you to check your wiring. Do you have the wiring diagram and are you comfortable doing some investigating?

Some 520’s use a single switch at the PTO and a Kill Relay. Others have two switches and no relay. So I can’t give you any more specific guidance.

Find documents on this site with a search like “Tractor yyyy 520-H”. Search in “Files” or “Documents” and turn on “Use all my search terms". For “yyyy” use the year of your tractor. 

Edited by Handy Don

Wayne0

If the motion control is engaged, the motor cuts out. (so you can't run your self over)  Not just the PTO. Sounds correct to me.

• Excellent 1

Handy Don
30 minutes ago, Wayne0 said:

If the motion control is engaged, the motor cuts out. (so you can't run your self over)  Not just the PTO. Sounds correct to me.

Good catch. according to the Demystification Guide, 520-H ’91-97, the neutral switch is in the starter circuit and the spark circuit.

To start: seated, neutral, and PTO disengaged

image.png.26fb160cac234801e0299c910194c4f1.png

To run either:

- seated or 

- PTO disengaged and neutral

(so if motion is not in neutral and operator leaves the seat, regardless of PTO, it stops the engine)

image.png.49d23bf322efef38b576b07bb13fbe85.png

Edited by Handy Don

Ed Kennell

With my spring loaded foot control, I always set the parking brake before dismounting a tractor with the engine running or not running.   Always a good practice with any tractor.

Setting the parking brake also locks the hydros in nuetral and makes the nuetral switch  allowing the engine to run when you dismount.

In cold weather, I often start my engines without mounting the tractor.  The PTO is disengaged, the brake is locked, and I push down on the seat to make the switch.   As soon as the engine is running, I can check oil, refuel, etc. while during the required hydro warm-up peroid.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 2

Wayne0
6 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

With my spring loaded foot control, I always set the parking brake before dismounting a tractor with the engine running or not running.   Always a good practice with any tractor.

Setting the parking brake also locks the hydros in nuetral and makes the nuetral switch  allowing the engine to run when you dismount.

That make sense, but I'm moving/backing.

• Like 1

Wayne0
18 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Good catch. according to the Demystification Guide, 520-H ’91-97, the neutral switch is in the starter circuit and the spark circuit.

To start: seated, neutral, and PTO disengaged

image.png.26fb160cac234801e0299c910194c4f1.png

To run either:

- seated or 

- PTO disengaged and neutral

(so if motion is not in neutral and operator leaves the seat, regardless of PTO, it stops the engine)

image.png.49d23bf322efef38b576b07bb13fbe85.png

The way I'm seeing it, I can jump the orange and brown to bypass the seat switch and have the option to use it or not.

Thanks for that.

lynnmor

To answer your question, yes you can easily add the defeat switch, just know that safety hacks are discouraged here.  Personally I go with plan B with my tractors, cars and trucks and simply drive in forward so I can see what I am doing.

• Excellent 1

Handy Don
2 minutes ago, Wayne0 said:

The way I'm seeing it, I can jump the orange and brown to bypass the seat switch and have the option to use it or not.

Wayne, to be EXTREMELY CLEAR. I am in NO WAY encouraging you to bypass ANY safety switches.

I think a bypass on a switch is a terrible idea. Our memories are fallible and the possibility that it’ll be in the wrong position when you need it is too risky.

Better to find a way to let the seat switch function with less than your full weight.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

953 nut
5 hours ago, Wayne0 said:

I don't want to eliminate it for safety reasons.

The only other option would be mirrors, which would look hokey.

I have arthritis and can sympathize with your situation.   :confusion-confused:  If you could paint a line on the floor of the shed and the ramp to guide you looking down could let you know how you are doing.

• Like 2

Wayne0
3 hours ago, lynnmor said:

To answer your question, yes you can easily add the defeat switch, just know that safety hacks are discouraged here.  Personally I go with plan B with my tractors, cars and trucks and simply drive in forward so I can see what I am doing.

I do see your point, but my issue is backing out into a foot of snow. It doesn't work well!

3 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Wayne, to be EXTREMELY CLEAR. I am in NO WAY encouraging you to bypass ANY safety switches.

I think a bypass on a switch is a terrible idea. Our memories are fallible and the possibility that it’ll be in the wrong position when you need it is too risky.

Better to find a way to let the seat switch function with less than your full weight.

I see your point as well. Maybe I can adjust the switch to work if I'm half on the seat.

Thanks for the ideas.

cleat

Here is an early 520 wire diagram.

It shows that so long as the PTO is off then you can get off the seat.

Neutral switch only affects starting, not running.

Wheel horse 520H wire diagram.pdf

This is the wire diagrams for the later model 520's

It shows how the seat and neutral switches come into play even with the PTO off

520 wiring.pdf

I always rewire mine to the early spec. that simplifies things a lot.

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, cleat said:

Neutral switch only affects starting, not running.

Yes, both my '88 520Hs are like this.

cleat

I don't know why the wiring got changed in 909 or 91 from the 88,89 models.

I now pull the harnesses out and wire them as per the early models getting rid of all those extra relays.

I believe a lot of the bad thoughts on 520 wiring is based on the more complicated later models that also place much more load on the 9 pin connector.

Handy Don
4 minutes ago, cleat said:

I don't know why the wiring got changed in 909 or 91 from the 88,89 models.

Some additional safety regs came into force. WH was not alone--all the manufacturers had to comply.

I mentally compare an RJ or Suburban (that would just as soon throw you off the back and then keep on going as let you drive it) to the Classics (almost stately) that were the last products. Wow.

953 nut

Safety Photo of the Day” – “OSHA Cowboy” | EHS Safety News America   Safety Photo of the Day” – “OSHA Cowboy” | EHS Safety News ...

• Like 1

Lee1977

The plastic button on my 520 was so worn that mowing side ways on a small slope would shut the engine down.  There was less then 1/32" left above the metal.  A new switch fixed mine.