ebinmaine

8N Conversion

ebinmaine

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

20 to 100 hp in the conversion, but only 3 days of work in 2 days?  Weird.  :lol:

• Like 1

Rick3478

Nice old tractor.  These conversions had somewhat of a following, flathead ford V8's most common.  A word of warning - putting 100 HP through a transmission designed for 20 can seriously break things, and some users did.  You can't really put all that power to the ground.  What that excess power *can* do is run a full load on the PTO at the same time as providing ground movement, so difficult rigs like a baler and stack wagon behind it became more practical for the little tractors.

• Like 2

T-Mo

In the 1940s when the 2N was being built, the Funk brothers were selling the V8 conversions kits to put in the Ford tractors.  V6 and V8 conversions have been going into the Ford N series tractors almost from the beginning.  You see one or several at each tractor show, especially the shows that the Ford tractors are the central theme of the show.

• Like 1

Oldskool

There are a couple of flathead v8 converted tractors around here. Not sure if any of them are Funk tractors or not.

Interesting info. Now I'll have to pay more attention to those tractors.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
24 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

There are a couple of flathead v8 converted tractors around here. Not sure if any of them are Funk tractors or not.

Interesting info. Now I'll have to pay more attention to those tractors.

I've seen one down here.  

I was under the impression the guy had built it for his wife. They each had tractors.   

The one I saw was a flat head V8. 

Show build. Lots of chrome.  Neat ride.  

• Like 1

Oldskool
44 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I've seen one down here.  

I was under the impression the guy had built it for his wife. They each had tractors.   

The one I saw was a flat head V8. 

Show build. Lots of chrome.  Neat 

The ones around here maybe show builds or pulling tractors. I'm not sure, but would like to find out now knowing this info.

• Like 1

T-Mo

Some, if not most to all, conversions to V8 requires the hood to modified so it can allow more room for the bigger engine.  The Funk conversions had that hood modifications.  Some of the home brew conversions, if not done properly, were done incorrectly and the engine interfered with the radius arms and the steering.  Probably those were the ones converted without lifting and modifying the hood.

From a book I read, the Funk brothers were in cahoots with Ford when they were doing the conversions.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
59 minutes ago, T-Mo said:

Some, if not most to all, conversions to V8 requires the hood to modified so it can allow more room for the bigger engine.  The Funk conversions had that hood modifications.  Some of the home brew conversions, if not done properly, were done incorrectly and the engine interfered with the radius arms and the steering.  Probably those were the ones converted without lifting and modifying the hood.

From a book I read, the Funk brothers were in cahoots with Ford when they were doing the conversions.

The tractor I saw had some sort of frame rail system. Fairly narrow material like 1 x 4 or 2 x 4 steel. I don't recall if there was an adapter plate between the engine and transmission or if the rails bolted to the transmission/rear axle somewhere. 

Those rails ran along the sides of the engine and out to the front axle and radiator.