Cee245

Onan Nikki Carb replacement

Cee245

Does anyone know if I could use an ONAN 146-0496 CARBURETOR 20 HP PERFORMER carb on a P216G (1997 416-H)?

I found a new one for a decent price. I believe this one listed above does not have the accelerator pump while mine does. 

Thanks

lynnmor

I believe it will work fine.  I prefer the one without the accelerator pump since they are temperamental and often backfire on shutdown.

• Like 2

Cee245

Ended up finding a new Performer Nikki carb for 16/18hp Onan from a place in Washington state that services generators.  It's expensive, compared to the new Chinese carbs, but it doesn't have the accelerator pump and it works perfectly.  Very happy with it. 

• Excellent 1

Jason Hunt

You wouldnt happen to have the name of the place you got your carburetor from would you? Also, will a 20hp carb work on a 16hp engine? I heard that they were jetted differently but the rebuild kits are the same are they not?

Jason Hunt

Ok so I found out that a 20hp carb was jetted differently than a 16hp.

RED-Z06

My P220 lost a valve seat, i replaced the engine but kept the old one.  My 318 had a pumper carb, i swapped the entire P220 carb/intake over to the P218 and it runs perfectly

• Like 1

Handy Don
15 hours ago, RED-Z06 said:

My P220 lost a valve seat, i replaced the engine but kept the old one.  My 318 had a pumper carb, i swapped the entire P220 carb/intake over to the P218 and it runs perfectly

Makes sense--P218 and P220 have the same displacement. Glad to know because my “parts” engine is a P220 (busted rod) and my runner is a P218!

RED-Z06
2 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Makes sense--P218 and P220 have the same displacement. Glad to know because my “parts” engine is a P220 (busted rod) and my runner is a P218!

P220 has that big bumpy cam in it vs that 218, wish they were easier to swap

lynnmor
3 hours ago, RED-Z06 said:

P220 has that big bumpy cam in it vs that 218, wish they were easier to swap

The intake valve lift is .030" higher on the 20 HP, not exactly a big bumpy thing, everything else is the same.

RED-Z06
16 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

The intake valve lift is .030" higher on the 20 HP, not exactly a big bumpy thing, everything else is the same.

Same displacement, same intake,  same block, crank, compression...but 0.030 more intake lift and a step richer main jet to compliment it, made 2hp more.  I read some years ago that the 220 cam had just a marginally wider duration on both Intake and exhaust, would explain the power increase.  Id love to put an 18 and 20 cam in a cam doctor and get the exact numbers.

• Like 1