David414

Belt dropping on 312h

David414

I have a 1990, 312-h that keeps dropping the drive belt. The belt (wheel horse belt), idler pulley, spring, and arm were replaced with new parts, including the mounting hardware. After 30 seconds of run time, the belt falls off. At a loss for correction...misalignment problem perhaps? Any suggestions or fixes are greatly appreciated!

1132939064_312hpulley.jpeg.2b5a40d692489cf704f65dd96b2d9190.jpeg767819671_312harm.jpeg.94e4774c2edc951cea6f9bc9b937f526.jpeg

moe1965

I can't tell from the picture but is the smaller pulley  (the idler pulley) groved or flat.  It looks groved to me.  If so it needs to be replaced with a flat one.  

Ed Kennell

Is the idler pulley "jumping" while running?      Look for an obstruction wedged in the engine and transmission pulleys.

David414

Flat pulley, new from toro

David414

Ed, not sure what I am looking for an obstruction? Belt comes off within seconds.

Ed Kennell
Just now, David414 said:

Ed, not sure what I am looking for an obstruction? Belt comes off within seconds.

I have seen small stones and chunks of wood wedged deep in the bottom of the Vee pulleys.  This will cause a 1/rev tightening of the belt.     This rapid tightening and loosening of the belt may not permit the idler to maintain tension on the belt allowing it to jump off the pulley.   It would be evident as the idler pulley will be moving or jumping as the obstruction contacts the belt.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Just saw your video....wow, that's quick.      Is the idler free to turn and in alignment with the tranny pulley?

Lee1977

Did you replace the spacer that goes in that lift arm?  As bad as that arm is worn the bushing spacer is worn too.

David414

It seems that parts purchased from Parts Tree are very close to original, but not always exact. The idler pulley from PT was slightly different than stock, the offset was different.  Put on original pulley and now seems to work. Yes, spacer was replaced with new. Same thing with belts. PT and Toro have same part number but can be slightly different. Years of superseding part numbers and parts that are close enough but not exact as originals can cause problems.

953 nut

Is your belt being properly supported by the guides?

David414
5 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Is your belt being properly supported by the guides?

Yes

NA73

Can you look down the belt from the engine to transmission and see anything misaligned?

does the pulley on the transmission run true (no wobble or out-of-round)?

kpinnc

Either the swingarm for the pulley is bent, or something under the beltguard is pushing the belt off the pulley.