ML3

C105 Snowblower

ML3

Looking for a snowblower for my C105. It's a mid 80s model. Seems like all I see is single stage units?? Did Wheel Horse ever make a 2 stage snowblower for my tractor? Where I live a 2 stage is a must have. 

• Like 1

nylyon

You shuld place a wanted ad in the classified section.  Wheel horse did make a 2 stage blower which will fit, 10hp is a little low to run those.

• Like 3

grinchsr

I agree with Nylon a 10 HP motor and a 2 stage blower are not a good match.  Look for a single stage they are out there.

• Like 2

gwest_ca

Here are the single-stage models that will plug and play

1973-74 model 6-6212 plus 6-9113

1974 model 6-6213 - (First model to include 8-0221 extensions without the front straight return - just a flat plate)

1975 model 6-6214 - (First model to include 8-0221 [103552 replaced by 93-1617 and 93-1617-01] side extensions with the front straight return. First model to have a cable spool on chute rotating crank) Chute crank support decal 104461.

1976 model 6-6215 ------ Chute crank support decal 104461. This one -

1976 model 66-42ST01 - Chute crank support decal 104461. and this one are likely identical. The model number format changed.

1977 model 76-42ST01 - Chute crank support decal 104461. This one

1978 model 86-42ST01 - Chute crank support decal 104461. and this one

1979 model 96-42ST01 - Chute crank support decal 104461. and this one may be all the same. They started using a different model number for each model year.

1980 model 06-42ST01 - (Last 42" model to use 4 grooved rollers for the chute)

1981-82 model 06-42ST02 - (First model to use plastic collar for the chute but was a retrofit for older models. Last model to use wheels)

1983 model 06-42ST03 - (First model to use skids)

1984-87 model 06-42ST04 - (Last model to use a 3/4" diameter driveshaft)

1987-89 model 06-42ST05 - (First model to use a 7/8" diameter driveshaft)

1990 model 06-42ST06 - (Last model to use a cable to turn the chute)

1991-93 model 06-42ST07 - (First model with tall chute retained by 3 individual grooved retainers)

1993-2001 model 79360 - (2001 and earlier will fit 2002-2007 with kit 105-1503) (1994 first year for replaceable blower housing scraper bar)

2002-2007 model 79362

• Like 1

peter lena

@mjl111070@yahoo.com  agree with others on the power issue , a double stage  needs at least 12 hp , another thing about blowers , is the collective drag of  belt drive points , similar to  mower deck  drag. every  rotational movement point , should move with total ease / function .  realise this is a issue to many , but found  " freeing up all my belt drive points ,"  with re greasing and lubrication detailing  every movement point made for a  smooth / easy running unit . would go with the single stage , and  do a function  verification as you set it up . those blowers can spin over by hand .  also detail in your  rotational chute area , pete   

Pullstart

I don’t have a ton of experience with blowers, but it seems that tall chute single stage blowers have a tendency to perform similar to 2 stage units.  Lubricating the chute pays off as well!

• Like 3

ML3

I live in northeast Ohio in the primary snow belt. We get "lake effect" snow, add some wind & 4+5ft drifts are the norm parts of my driveway. There have been times my 28" 2 stage walk behind Toro has struggled even with the drift breakers extended. 

My dad clears with a Troy Bilt GTX18 w/2 stage blower & it really moves snow.

I may try a single stage tall chute & keep my walk behind 2 stage for clearing the really deep snow. I'm just tired of walking (probably could use the exercise) & am ready to sit to clear snow. 

Edited by mjl111070@yahoo.com
  • Like 3

Ed Kennell

I have used single stage short and tall chute blowers  on 12 and 20 HP  tractors to move some heavy deep snows.

Based on my experience,  a hydro transmission is a necessity to effectively operate  a single stage.   The blower must be operated at wide open throttle and the ground speed must be continually varied to keep the blower full of snow to prevent clogging.  This can only be done with a hydro.

The 12HP hydro is the bare minimum.  More HP is much better.

A 520H w/tall chute working it's way thru some 5' drifts.IMG_5343.JPG.d15409a8ab634ee7a1bb93a0a0f1f781.JPGIMG_5359.JPG.a7ab2dece87e90cd411424558dd592be.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

SylvanLakeWH

As a C-105 8 speed owner I'll be an outlier opinion on this just for thought... agree that more HP is ideal, but speed vs. power is really the equation here. A 10 HP can absolutely run a single or 2 stage... but, at a slower / lower gear / speed with the hp going to the blower not your speed... just like mowing thick grass, you drop speed to put power to the deck...

As pointed out above, more hp is desirable, but not absolute. No experience with hydros so comments above handle those...

I use a plow blade on my C-105 and E-141. Personal preference as I don't like the weight, maintenance and storage issues associated with blowers...

:twocents-twocents:

• Excellent 2

Ed Kennell
2 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

I use a plow blade on my C-105 and E-141

Same here.     I replaced my blowers with plows for clearing the 4-5 homes I clear.    Mainly due to the lack of snow. Most of our snows have been the 2-8" heavy wet stuff that is much easier to plow than to blow.

I do have a good neighbor with a twin stage on a 4wd kubota.    Just in case we ever get a big one that the plows can't handle.

• Like 2

ML3

Thanks to all for input/information. I tend to agree w/SylvanLake in regards to ground speed & implement speed. As in any case more hp is almost always better but one can smartly use what horsepower available. I have a plow blade but it doesn't take long for me to run outta room to put snow. 

My C105 is a 8speed

Edited by mjl111070@yahoo.com
  • Like 3

peter lena

@mjl111070@yahoo.com   live in the  snow change zone  , if its dry , you are lucky  , mostly  right on the change over  ,rain / snow line . prefer the short chute  , well  siliconed  inner chute  slide .  also learn to plow with the sun  holding areas ,  so as you  , blow / plow snow  , the setting area  is getting sun to increase melting  . also touch up your work if you can  so you make a solid gain before it refreezes .  pete 

NA73

Something I'll add: years ago, I ran both a tall chute and short chute single stage on a 14hp and both performed about the same as long as the clutch and/or belt was good. the tall-chute had a little better throw distance.

The light powder(fluffy) snow doesn't really seem to be a problem with any machine/blower. the real test comes when you're trying to blow through the heavy wet clay-like snow and with 2-stage snowblowers the larger the impeller the more power you need.

from what I've gathered, the ber-vacs had a larger impeller than the toro/wheel horse brand 2-stage snow blowers.

I know for a fact, 14hp is too little for a ber-vac unless it is fluffy snow. I didn't have a toro 2-stage to test when I had the '73 14-no-name-auto.

Mark siebenaler
On 1/19/2023 at 7:25 AM, Pullstart said:

I don’t have a ton of experience with blowers, but it seems that tall chute single stage blowers have a tendency to perform similar to 2 stage units.  Lubricating the chute pays off as well!

Lubricating  the chute?

• Like 1

Pullstart
50 minutes ago, Mark siebenaler said:

Lubricating  the chute?

PAM cooking spray, oil, etc.  snow flies further and easier, or so I’m told..

• Like 1

ML3

Ultimately I'll try to end up with a 520 or something similar with a 2 stage blower. Also I'll probably install a rear brinley blade. I did use the single stage on C105, however we had it was an unusually mild winter. It seemed to move 5-8" of snow. I need to get tires as they are original so they are dried up some & a bit worn. Have about 100lbs on rear hitch along with my 200lbs on seat. Wheel weights would be great. I have a new concrete driveway so chains aren't gonna happen! 

IMG_20230326_122449480_HDR.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1