Sign in to follow this  
Zeek

Farmall H Radiator Replacement

pacer

YEOW! Thatsa lotta work to change a radiator! But, you at least found a radiator....

And I was grumbling about having to replace my 1980ish Mitsubishi gray mkt radiator. Had this Huge oak got lightening struck and of course it died so was trying to get it cleaned up (geez, that was a JOB!!) Was down to 6-8 quite large pieces of the trunk and with the FEL was trying to move them over to the edge of my property when one of them slipped off the bucket and fell against the front of the tractor, which, along with mangling the hood assy, pushed it into the rad, and alternator. Now, like our horses, parts for these little gray mkt tractors, parts are scarce! Finally found one that was apparently same except for the lower outlet was the conventional short straight outlet and mine had a sharp 'elbow', which as absolutely necessary - and was $450! - plus ship! During this time a buddy sez there is still an old guy that runs a rad shop here in town, why dont you see him. Took the rad over and he (crusty ole guy with a wad of tobacco bout in his 80's) sez,  I cant fix yourins, but I can core it - how much I say, he scratches his whiskered chin and sez $350! 3 days later I picked it up, with a sigh of relief! Got the hood pretty well straightened and cobbled up a alternator mount and was back in business --- dont know how I ever got along without a FEL!

• Like 5

6wheeler

Nice looking H. I see your steering gear has oil in it. So? I would guess there is a seal under the main gear? (I have never taken an H apart). What weight oil does it take?. I need to pull my steering shaft out of my John Deere A. Unfortunately? The fuel tank leaks. So? I have to take the steering shaft off, to take the hood off, to get the fuel tank off. I don't know what is in there. But? The way it steers? It is either really old grease. Or? No oil. If? That is what it takes. It is nice to see old AG iron getting the resto they deserve. 

Inspectorjoe

That's a beautiful H! It makes me miss mine. It was a '42.I still have seller's remorse.

1 - Copy.JPG

• Like 1

Zeek
On 1/30/2023 at 5:06 PM, 6wheeler said:

Nice looking H. I see your steering gear has oil in it. So? I would guess there is a seal under the main gear? (I have never taken an H apart). What weight oil does it take?. I need to pull my steering shaft out of my John Deere A. Unfortunately? The fuel tank leaks. So? I have to take the steering shaft off, to take the hood off, to get the fuel tank off. I don't know what is in there. But? The way it steers? It is either really old grease. Or? No oil. If? That is what it takes. It is nice to see old AG iron getting the resto they deserve. 

The steering gear takes 90W gear oil. Yes, it sealed and sits in the little tub where the gear is. The non-power steering versions steer like the old non-power steering cars, it just takes a little more effort. I bought and downloaded the original owner's manual for mine which I found to be extremely helpful. It tells you where everything is, how to adjust it, what weight fluids, etc. In this particular H everything is either 30W or 90W. Steiner Tractor carries almost every single part you could ever need for large antique tractors. Some things (like my radiator) can be purchased on eBay, but you have to watch the quality on some of that. So far everything I got from Steiner was of good quality.

Edited by Zeek

6wheeler
23 hours ago, Zeek said:

The steering gear takes 90W gear oil. Yes, it sealed and sits in the little tub where the gear is. The non-power steering versions steer like the old non-power steering cars, it just takes a little more effort. I bought and downloaded the original owner's manual for mine which I found to be extremely helpful. It tells you where everything is, how to adjust it, what weight fluids, etc. In this particular H everything is either 30W or 90W. Steiner Tractor carries almost every single part you could ever need for large antique tractors. Some things (like my radiator) can be purchased on eBay, but you have to watch the quality on some of that. So far everything I got from Steiner was of good quality. .

Thanks for the info. Steiner is where I go for a lot of Our older tractor parts. We have 3 JD A's (different ages) 1 B. And? A JD H. My Uncle restores Minneapolis Molines. He has several. Plus a wide front Farmall H. New Paris Tractor is a good place for used parts too. Colfax Tractor is good too. But? It seems they have less and less old parts.

Edited by 6wheeler