Patrick in MN

Tractor will not start

Patrick in MN

10 hp Kohler Eng #241s spec #46636d

Relaced key switch / silinod and starter still wont trun over only kill switch is on brake pedal that i know of ?

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

What is the make, model and serial number of your tractor.      I assume it has a working battery?

If it is a wheel horse, there may be a clutch, seat, and PTO safety switch.    Any one of these can prevent a start.

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the :rs:Patrick.

• Like 1

pfrederi

Really need tractor model.  WH used that spec engine for 1972-1976 in different models with different electrical systems...

• Like 2

Pullstart

His profile says 241 S as favorite tractor..

I guess that could be the engine huh?  :confusion-confused:

Edited by Pullstart
  • Like 1

Achto

:WRS:

Can you get it to turn over by jumping across the 2 large terminals on the starter solenoid?

• Like 1

Patrick in MN

I will try that tonight when i get home

and get back to you 

and check the saftey switch on PTO and Brake pedal 

thanks

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

:WRS:

Sure wish you had come here first prior to buying lots of parts that may not have needed replacement.

Here is a step by step method to check the components of your starter system.

Why won’t my starter turn over from the key switch?

Lets take a logical step by step inspection of your starter problem.

Is your PTO in the ON position, a wheel horse will not start with the PTO on.

Have you had the battery load tested at an auto parts store?

Have you cleaned and tightened all electrical connections including grounds?

Are all fuses good and fuse holders cleaned?

If these have all been done, we can check components of the starting system as follows; don’t skip a step or you may miss the problem.

Be sure the transmission is in neutral and the parking brake is set.

Take a pair of automotive jumper cables and connect the black cable to your battery  "-" and a good clean spot on the engine. Now connect the other cable to the large post on the starter and touch the other end to the battery "+" terminal, does the starter turn over? If the starter turns over the battery and starter are good. If it didn't turn over try the same steps with the battery in your car/truck, if that cures the problem then the "good" battery wasn't so good.

Presuming the starter turned over move the jumper wire from the starter post to the other end of the wire going to the starter which is one of the large posts on the solenoid. If the starter turns over when the battery is touched by the jumper as before then that cable is good, if not you have found your problem.

Presuming the starter turned over move that jumper to the other terminal of the solenoid, connect the other end to the battery and use a small piece of wire to temporarily connect the battery "+" terminal to the small terminal on the solenoid, this should cause the solenoid to close and the starter to turn over. If not, the solenoid is probably the problem.

If this was successful remove the large jumper cable and use the small jumper wire to the small terminal of the solenoid, the solenoid should close and the starter turn over. If not the cable to the battery is the problem.

Presuming all of these have been successful remove the black jumper wire and repeat the small jumper to small terminal, if the starter turns over the ground is good.

If all of these components test good then remove your ignition switch, be sure the transmission is in neutral, parking brake on, clutch depressed and PTO off. Use a small jumper to connect the terminals that were connected to the “B” and “S” terminals of the ignition switch. If the starter turns over then the PTO switch and other safety switches are operating properly and your ignition switch may be bad.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

mike avad

HELP. I HAVE A 1988 OR 89 WHEEL HORSE 252-H I ran into this a few day's ago I went to start it and the starter lock up when that happen it melded the cable from the start post to the solenoid post off. so now am at this point where I replace both part's knew and I have power going to all wireing and bench tested the start that good  bat good. what next? am lost here clean all ground's also. what next?thank you for any info

953 nut

Use the method in post #8.

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
  • Like 1

Achto
12 hours ago, mike avad said:

HELP. I HAVE A 1988 OR 89 WHEEL HORSE 252-H I ran into this a few day's ago I went to start it and the starter lock up when that happen it melded the cable from the start post to the solenoid post off.

Does this have a Briggs engine? If it does check the starter drive. I will bet that the gear for it is warn and this is the root cause of the starter locking up.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1

mike avad

well after that happen I replace the starter key switch  and more still won't turn over? bat good

• Like 1