BHunter

Suburban 3 piece transmission rebuild

stevasaurus

When you rebuild the trans, you have to put the trans into 2nd gear to place the cluster gear and shaft.  Maybe you did not put it back into neutral and when you put in the shifter you placed it in the 1st/rev fork slot and now you have it 2 gears at once.   Fix or verify by pulling out the shifter and seeing if you have the square with the shift forks that shows the trans in neutral.  If not, use long screw driver to put trans into neutral and replace shifter.  Before replacing shifter, jack up rear end and try turning input pulley with horse in all gears.  :confusion-confused:

Edited by stevasaurus

BHunter
53 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

When you rebuild the trans, you have to put the trans into 2nd gear to place the cluster gear and shaft.  Maybe you did not put it back into neutral and when you put in the shifter you placed it in the 1st/rev fork slot and now you have it 2 gears at once.   Fix or verify by pulling out the shifter and seeing if you have the square with the shift forks that shows the trans in neutral.  If not, use long screw driver to put trans into neutral and replace shifter.  Before replacing shifter, jack up rear end and try turning input pulley with horse in all gears.  :confusion-confused:

Thank you. Sounds like that possibly happened. I thought I bench tested everything but I probably didn’t go though every gear. 
I will pull the shifter and see what it looks like. 

• Thanks 1

stevasaurus

If that is your issue, it is an easy fix.  Hope it is that easy.  :occasion-xmas:

BHunter
34 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

If that is your issue, it is an easy fix.  Hope it is that easy.  :occasion-xmas:

Hope so too. I’ll find out on Monday when I go back to work. 

• Like 1

BHunter
On 2/10/2023 at 4:46 PM, stevasaurus said:

you were correct. I pulled the shifter and the forks weren’t lined up. Seems to be working correctly now. Thanks for your help. 

• Thanks 1