tmix61

D200

tmix61

I took the ball off of the back and put a steel rod 1 in diameter standing up and put 300 lb of weight on that for the last 3 years it has been working great. But last night I was backing up and I seen hydraulic fluid laying on the ground I plowed for another 3 minutes and seen the line back and forth that must have been dripping pull it in the garage and it looks like the bracket for the ball hitch that goes under the rear end cracked the housing and all the fluid came out any suggestions. Would I be able to take seal all or some kind of epoxy and patch the crack? And what kind of fluid goes in that housing? Is that a housing under pressure when all that hydraulic fluid is in there? Any help would be grateful first time I've had a problem with the big d200 it plows snow like a madman have wheel weights 35 lb on each wheel in the back have motorcycle chains around the front tires steers great

20150606_120316.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Sad 1

bitten

I have not seen the hitch cause the rear end to crack like that. When my D cracked it was a pinon bolt came out and got sandwiched between the pinon and the housing. I ended up replacing the rear end. If you are sure the rear end bracket is the reason it cracked you might be able to patch it with some JB weld or something like that. I use 10-30 synthetic oil in my rear end and in my experience works great.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

I am surprised it held for three years with 300 pounds hammering that flat bar on the thin cast case.  Most rear weight brackets are bolted to the axle tubes with supports down to the drawbar pin.    Should be no pressure in the differential case.

BTW, beautiful D      

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the :rs:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Sad 1

953 nut

I have to agree with Ed's surprise that the hitch bouncing hadn't broken through. If you can adequately clean the area around the crack I think JB Weld should hold though it isn't the best repair. If you could build/buy a two inch hitch receiver and mount your weights to it that would give them good support.

Call Lowell to be sure it will work on a "D".      https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/product/xi-heavy-duty-removable-receiver-hitch-do-not-have-the-axle-bracket-with-mounting-hardware-for-wheel-horse/

• Like 2

pfrederi

The front tongue of the hitch puts a lot of pressure on the tranny casing. You have a BIG problem.  First question did it crack both halves of the case or only one. Then you can look at getting one or two halves.  Will have to pull the hubs  (a fun project) split the tranny and replace the case/cases...

JB weld  may work... but only if you never ever put pressure on the case again.  It will have to be completely drained and cleaned...JB weld doesn not adhere well to oily surfaces...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

tmix61
26 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

I have to agree with Ed's surprise that the hitch bouncing hadn't broken through. If you can adequately clean the area around the crack I think JB Weld should hold though it isn't the best repair. If you could build/buy a two inch hitch receiver and mount your weights to it that would give them good support.

Call Lowell to be sure it will work on a "D".      https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/product/xi-heavy-duty-removable-receiver-hitch-do-not-have-the-axle-bracket-with-mounting-hardware-for-wheel-horse/

• Like 2

tmix61

Any idea where could get better pictures of that receiver or somebody has one mounted I could see and make one welder fabricator here

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi

I use Lowell's hitches on my snow horses that carry 200+ lbs on the stern.    No way i would put that on a regular hitch..

• Like 3

953 nut

What you will want is a 2" receiver welded to a crossmember of 1 1/2" or 2" tubing with two arms of the same material going out over your rear axle. If you have the axle bracket for your snow plow the arms can be bolted through the snow plow bracket. Since you will need to remove the trailer hitch I would suggest some diagonal braces from the crossmember to the 3/4" hitch attachment pin for added support.

Here is a post I found with pictures.    

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH
10 hours ago, tmix61 said:

Any idea where could get better pictures of that receiver or somebody has one mounted I could see and make one welder fabricator here

Here's Lowell's...

Wheelhorsepartsandmore.com

50B8995E-5BF8-4AA8-95DF-225F489BF626.jpeg

• Like 1