Toolmanbill

No spark AGAIN

Toolmanbill

Finally gave up after another round of no spark.sent to a different dealer.515$ later finally fixed?no.they replaced the coil.got it home worked for one day. They tell me it’s not related but now the ignition switch is not operating properly. I sprayed contact cleaner in the switch where the key goes and jiggled the key.that did take care of it and it now starts.Amazing.650$ total for this repair.this sat at the dealer for over a week while they waited for the part.of course it was outside and we had a horrendous rain storm and this tractor has only occasionally seen rain. I don’t know if that’s what caused the switch to fail or not but I would like to buy a new one.part #116338 is this part available on this site?really really appreciate any help.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

ebinmaine

That part number is available on the popular auction site for $50-$70+. 

You could also try to CALL Lincoln at A to Z Tractor. See if he has a good used one.  

Another option would be to place an ad in our Wanted section.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

pacer

Ignition switch?? I buy mine at one of the auto parts stores, Oreily, Advance, etc. they usually have both the points type and magneto at around $15. Usually, Oreilys cause its closer.

• Like 3

Pullstart

Not knowing you, or your mechanical abilities or physical limitations, keep in mind that most any problem can be troubleshooted by most keyboard mechanics here on RedSquare.  If you’d like to dig in to diy repairs more, a good volt/ohm meter and a set of tools can be had for much less than this one repair (or two?) over $500.

• Like 4

Toolmanbill

I think my mechanical ability is ok.never had this tractor leave my property in 28 years until now. I’m very challenged with electrical issues though.have a meter but not much knowledge on how to use it.hopefully this is an isolated issue and I can keep this around for another 20 years.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Toolmanbill said:

I think my mechanical ability is ok.never had this tractor leave my property in 28 years until now. I’m very challenged with electrical issues though.have a meter but not much knowledge on how to use it.hopefully this is an isolated issue and I can keep this around for another 20 years.

A few things to keep in mind. 

These are DC systems.  

Direct Current.  

You MUST have a good ground or you don't have a circuit.  

Also, having a meter is a very valuable tool even for basic trouble shooting.  

However... A test light is also valuable. 

Different usages.  

It is legitimately possible that your own ignition switch is bad. Also possible it just needed cleaning and lube to work right. 

Also possible that it needs the above mentioned good ground. You removing the switch to clean, lube and reassemble may have corrected a ground issue. 

Be conscious of throwing good money away.  Proper testing with the correct tool can and will give you KNOWLEDGE because you'll find what part actually went bad and...

Save you money because you aren't simply guessing.  

Proper maintenance and adding multiple grounds can and will also save time and money.  

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

ri702bill
2 hours ago, Pullstart said:

keyboard mechanics

Nice!! a spin-off of "Desk Jockey"??

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Pullstart
19 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

Nice!! a spin-off of "Desk Jockey"??

oh I don’t know… it just rolled off my two left thumbs :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Horse Newbie

I don’t consider myself much of a mechanic, small engines or otherwise…

However I do consider myself not much dumber than the average Joe.

I ended up on Redsquare because I needed you alls knowledge and help.

And besides I found out that these so called experts out there can mess up as good or better than I can…

I figure I can make mistakes and misdiagnose things a LOT cheaper than I can pay them to do it !

Plus I learn along the way…

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

Handy Don
11 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

I figure I can make mistakes and misdiagnose things a LOT cheaper than I can pay them to do it !

I like this attitude. I’ve “invested” a non-trivial sum over the past couple of years in some very informative mistakes with these tractors.

• Like 2