wh5208speed

Replacing 20hp Onan to 14hp Kohler Magnum-Wiring Changes

wh5208speed

I have a 520 with a bad valve seat and have a spare 14hp Kohler Mangum. Aside from the gauges (vacuum and RPM) is there any other wiring changes I would need to change by going from a 20hp twin Onan to a single cylinder Kohler Magnum?

• Sad 1

953 nut

Your Onan is a battery ignition engine and the Magnum has a magneto system. I developed this thread for just such an occasion. If you need any further clarification please feel free to ask. This is much easier and less expensive that replacing the ignition switch and doing the needed rewiring.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5

cleat

Your tach may even work if you connect to one of the AC wires coming from the charge coil just like on the Onan.

I used a 520 tach for a while on a Ford lawn tractor with a 16HP Kohler and it worked perfectly.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

wh5208speed
5 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Your Onan is a battery ignition engine and the Magnum has a magneto system. I developed this thread for just such an occasion. If you need any further clarification please feel free to ask. This is much easier and less expensive that replacing the ignition switch and doing the needed rewiring.

Very Helpful!

• Thanks 1